Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Class Idea: Tinker

I know the Tinker has been brought up many times before. Here's my take on it;

Tinker

Synopsis: Tinker is a class that specializes in technology. Not only is the Tinker adept at creating and sustaining modern forms of technology, but s/he is also adept at restoring technology of the ancients. They utilize their vast knowledge and know-how to protect their allies and outsmart their enemies.

Wowiki Links;
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Tinker
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Steam_armor
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Mechanical

Races: Alliance: Gnomes, Dwarves, Humans, Worgen
    Horde: Goblins, Forsaken, Blood Elves

Weapons: The class' primary weapons are guns. Their secondary weapons are daggers, swords (1h), maces (1h) and axes (1h). They cannot dual wield.

Armor type: Leather

Resource type: Tinker form: Focus. Mech form: Various

Class specifics: Tinkers can pilot Mechs. There are several different types of mech in WoW currently, the Tinker will pilot four specific types, slightly based off of current WoW mechs. The mech increase the armor of the Tinker, however when the armor sustains damage, the Tinker sustains 30% of the damage his mech receives. It is important to note that healing a Tinker in mech form heals the Tinker, not his mech, since it is mechanical. The only way for a tinker to repair his mech is to use his Repair ability.

Talent trees:

Magitech (DPS): Specializing in the blending of ancient technology and magic, this branch excels at long range damage and control. Its specialized mecha utilizes Mana as its resource.

Sample Abilities:
    Inscription: Imbues your gun with 3 different magical properties. Each property offers a different benefit.
    Unified beam: fires a beam of focused arcane energy in a straight line, striking the initial target, and hitting any targets directly behind that target.
    Hack: Magically disables Mechanical units for a brief time. (CC)
    Probe: Launches an orb of magical energy that orbits around the Mech. This orb fires magical energy at a target for X damage.
    Eye of Mimiron: Targets an enemy, reducing their speed by X and decreasing their resistances to arcane damage for 30 seconds.
    Arcane Shield: Your mech unleashes a shield of arcane energy, reducing all damage by 10%. (M)
    Ancient Satellite: (Channeled) Unleashes a powerful beam of energy from the heavens that damages opponents in an area.

Clockwork (Tanking/DPS): Specializing in engineering and technology, this branch excels at high armor, and close-range damage. Its specialized mecha utilizes Steam as its resource.

Sample abilities:
    Repair: (Channeled) Repairs mechanical devices and units.
    Explosive Blast: Launches a high powered blast from your weapon, dealing damage, and knocking back your target.
    Pocket Factory: Creates a factory which automatically constructs Clockwerk Goblins. Clockwerk Goblins explode upon death, causing damage to nearby enemy units. (T)
    Flame Thrower: (Channeled) Fires a stream of fire at a target, burning them, and dealing damage over time.
    Rocket fist: A high powered punch from range that does X amount of damage, and dazing opponent.
    Meat Slicer: Your mech cleaves up to 3 melee targets, causing bleed damage.

Alchemy(Support/Healing): Specializing in creating chemicals and various concoctions, this branch excels at support, healing, and trickery. Its specialized mecha also utilizes Alchemy as its resource. Tinker alchemy has no relation to the alchemy profession.

Sample abilities:
    Potion: Allows the Tinker to create four different types of potions. Each potion has a different effect.
    Chemical Rage: Places a target into a rage, increasing melee haste and movement speed for a brief amount of time.
    Defibrillator: Allows the Tinker to revive a fallen comrade. Defibrillator in mech form increases the recovered amount of health.
    Healing Spray: Sprays waves of healing mist that heals units in a target area.
    Acid Bomb: Launches a bomb of acid at a target, reducing armor at a target by a high amount, and a moderate amount to surrounding targets.
    Accelerant : Sprays a target with a chemical that increases the damage and/or duration of fire attacks. Lasts 1 minute.
    Heal bot 4000: Summons a small robot that accompanies the Tinker, healing those around it for a small amount. Lasts until is killed.

Below are the mecha types. The Alliance and the Horde's mechas would be different due to the influence of Goblin and Gnome technology.

Standard:

Common Mech utilized from Gnome technology. This mech is available to all Tinkers at level 10. This form grants specific abilities not found in neutral form (think Bear and Cat abilities w/ druids). Standard Mechs offer a good balance between offensive and defensive skills. Some of this mech's abilities carry over to the more specialized mecha, but not vice versa. This mech can later upgrade to transport mode, allowing a Tinker to use it as a mount, and later to a flight form, granting the tinker his own flying mount of sorts.

Arcane Engine:

Arcane Engine mechs are only available to Tinkers who specialize in the Magitech tree. These mechs specialize in long range attacks, and mob control. The armor tends to be far weaker than other mechs.

War Engine:

War Engine mech are only available to Tinkers who specialize in the Clockwork tree. These mech specialize in melee combat, utilizing explosives and gunpowder to increase their power. They have the highest armor of any mech type.

Chemical Engine:

Chemical Engine mechs are only available to tinkers who specialize in the Alchemy tree. These mech specialize in using chemical reactions to heal and protect. Similar to Arcane engines, they are able to use abilities from long range. Their armor is weaker than War Engines, yet stronger than Arcane Engines.

Talent Trees: http://www.war-tools.com/t71539.html

Other: Trying to find a way to implement the Claw Pack without complicating matters. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Q&A

Q: There's too many Tinker or Hero threads on this forum!
    A: Yeah, so one more isn't going to hurt anything.

Q:You used pics from the game!
    A: I realize that. I didn't feel like drawing new mechs just for the purpose of a theorycrafting thread.

Q:Tinker is a horrible class!
    A: Thanks for your input. I disagree so I made a thread about it. If you don't like it, don't waste your time responding.

Q:What's up with the talent trees?
    A: Didn't feel like making one this time.

Q: They're never going to implement Tinkers blah blah blah!
    A: I realize that. I just did this for fun. Relax.

Shout out to Banestalker's thread about Machinist: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...New-Hero-Class. Gave me some of the ideas for this thread.

Any constructive comments or discussion is more than welcome. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Teriz; 2011-03-24 at 08:41 PM.

Deleted
    You know, of all those stupid hero class ideas, i kinda like yours actually.

It sounds like a decent idea...
    I just thought blizzard said that they made a mistake with the Hero Class and would not do it again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnozis View Post
    I just thought blizzard said that they made a mistake with the Hero Class and would not do it again?
    Yeah, this would be a standard class, not a hero class. Sorry about the title mistake.

They never said that. They said they realized how hard it is to balance a new class and aren't going to do it every expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Octavios View Post
    You know, of all those stupid hero class ideas, i kinda like yours actually.
    Thanks man, glad you liked it.

Deleted
    Well, it kinda sounds like a druid..
    But on the other side; nice idea

This is actually the neatest idea ive seen so far. I like it 100000 times better than necromancer or geomancer or time mage or any of those other [insert bad class title] here.

very neat, and the pictures really help give us an idea of what you're going for, and give the class a compleatly different feel than anything else in the game. The only thing I would change is maybe "Tinkerer" instead of tinker?

And maybe let the war engine be a tank? like cat/bear druds, depending on how they spec?

Anyway, bravo!
    85: Paladin | Druid | Shaman | Warlock | Death Knight | Mage | Hunter | Rogue | Warrior | Priest

Nice idea..and they could transform into their own abilities specific mount like a transformer!

This sounds like it could be broken in so many ways

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellefar View Post
    Well, it kinda sounds like a druid..
    But on the other side; nice idea
    Yeah, I was definitely thinking Druids when I came up with this. I had to find a way that someone could use many different machines, and the first thing I thought of were the various Druid forms.

---------- Post added 2011-01-11 at 07:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deliver View Post
    This sounds like it could be broken in so many ways
    Well I wouldn't worry about that. Blizzard would never implement this into the game anyway.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm/faq/

Here is what they said. If you cant click on link.

Is another Hero class being added to the game?
    We are not planning to add a new Hero class in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. For this expansion, it was more appropriate to focus on the two new races, the goblins and worgen. We never intended to include a Hero class in every expansion. As you saw with death knights, adding a new class changes the dynamics of the game dramatically, which is not something we want to do in every expansion. We still have plans to introduce new Hero classes in the future

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyt13 View Post
    They never said that. They said they realized how hard it is to balance a new class and aren't going to do it every expansion.
    and since they HAVEN'T done it every expansion and there have been 3 with only one class IN those three the 4th wouldn't be every expansion. so its a fair bet to say they don't release a new class every expansion
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

But to your question/poll. I say we bring in a Monk hero class. No weapons, just bare fists but with major raid buffs.

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah no weapons and only cloth armor and the less armor the more damage they deal. oh and make sure they don't wear hats cause they need bald heads. better yet no armor or weapon proficiencies at all. and they start at level 85 since they are monks with massive training already. no skills either just auto attacks. there's 1 button. Attack.

though the tinker sounds better.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

15+ Year Old Account
    As long as there's a mad chemist in another Tinker class suggestion thread, I'm happy. I just so wanna be a real Forsaken Apothecary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auro View Post
    This is actually the neatest idea ive seen so far. I like it 100000 times better than necromancer or geomancer or time mage or any of those other [insert bad class title] here.

very neat, and the pictures really help give us an idea of what you're going for, and give the class a compleatly different feel than anything else in the game. The only thing I would change is maybe "Tinkerer" instead of tinker?

And maybe let the war engine be a tank? like cat/bear druds, depending on how they spec?

Anyway, bravo!
    I got the name from the Goblin hero of the same name in WC3:

http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutr...intinker.shtml

I do see your point however.

Thanks for the comments. Glad you liked the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    yeah no weapons and only cloth armor and the less armor the more damage they deal. oh and make sure they don't wear hats cause they need bald heads. better yet no armor or weapon proficiencies at all. and they start at level 85 since they are monks with massive training already. no skills either just auto attacks. there's 1 button. Attack.

though the tinker sounds better.

Ok..maybe just a Staff. With some SP ..Int..Spirit..for those lil Monk things they do with their minds...lol

Very cool idea...I'd play a tinker fo shizzle.

Another idea that will not make it in but would be cool is the "Stripper" class. The skills and talents could be based on psychological offensive mind numbing abilities and defensive crowd control hypnotics. There could be a talent that allowed you to control a toon/player of the same sex. Your primary weapon would be a brass polearm.

Just throwing it out there... heh

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zikka View Post
    Very cool idea...I'd play a tinker fo shizzle.

Another idea that will not make it in but would be cool is the "Stripper" class. The skills and talents could be based on psychological offensive mind numbing abilities and defensive crowd control hypnotics. There could be a talent that allowed you to control a toon/player of the same sex. Your primary weapon would be a brass polearm.

Just throwing it out there... heh
    I'd hit that.