Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

New cpu few questions

If i get a new processor will i have to reinstall windows 7 ? or will it be saved on to my harddrive ?

Also any adive on the mother board case and processor i am getting ?

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £163.52

Asus P8H61 B3 Revision H61Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £68.16

Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Case £54.95

So those are the parts im getting and the prices any suggestions ? and i live in the uk.

Quote Originally Posted by CammyBear View Post
    If i get a new processor will i have to reinstall windows 7 ? or will it be saved on to my harddrive ?

Also any adive on the mother board case and processor i am getting ?

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £163.52

Asus P8H61 B3 Revision H61Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £68.16

Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Case £54.95

So those are the parts im getting and the prices any suggestions ? and i live in the uk.
    Yes to the Windows reinstall most likely, as you're getting a new motherboard. If you're able to boot into Safe Mode and delete some system devices from the Device Manager before pulling the hard drive out of the old computer (not sure what devices) then you have a chance to save the Windows install, but at the very least you'll probably have to re-activate it.

That CPU and motherboard are a bad combination though. Either ditch the "K" version, as that motherboard can't overclock at ALL, or get a P67/Z68 based motherboard that can actually overclock the "K"-series CPU.

You already have DDR3 memory, I take it?
    Super casual.

Deleted
    im using Cpuid program and it says that i only have DDR2 ? (im a complete noob at computers btw :/)
    Last edited by mmoc70ad161124; 2011-05-27 at 03:45 PM.

im using Cpuid program and it says that i only have DDR2 ? (im a complete noob at computers btw :/)
    Heh, I can tell .

You'll need to buy new RAM to work in that motherboard, then. A 4GiB kit (2 2GiB sticks) is the norm these days. DDR2 and DDR3 are not interchangeable.

EDIT: It's worth checking to see if your existing video card is built on to the motherboard, or if it's an add-on card. Pretty easy to check, just look at where the monitor is plugged in relative to your other peripherals. If it's on the motherboard, a new video card will also be on the "to buy" list if you're putting together a gaming computer.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-05-27 at 04:06 PM.
    Super casual.

DDR2 is the older version of RAM, DDR3 is the newest. As Nellah said, unfortunately the RAM you have now does not work with the newest parts you're after, so you'll have to buy new RAM. On the bright side, RAM is really cheap right now
    An example of what we're talking about:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/264746

Cammy, are you on a tight budget? Because there are better motherboards then the one you picked for not a heck of a lot more. If you give us a price range, plenty of people here would be more then willing to lend a hand.
    Last edited by muCephei; 2011-05-27 at 04:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Made me a new build just coupel days ago waiting for parts now.

I went for the i5 2500k in combination with Asus P8p67-m pro

good motherboard for 149 dollar so fairly cheap.

As other say get at least 4 gig of DDR3 which is cheap nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by muCephei View Post
    I took a look, the MOBO Cammy picked has an integrated card but its not telling me what it is. Cammy, are you on a tight budget? Because there are better motherboards you can get for not a heck of a lot more.
    The motherboard uses Intel's onboard video that is built on to the Sandy Bridge processors. Sadly, it still sucks incredibly compared to all but the worst dedicated video cards. On a good note, despite the fact that that motherboard cannot overclock the 2500K, the K-series CPUs have an onboard video unit that is twice as good as the non-K chips (12 EUs compared to 6).
    Super casual.

Deleted
    Well basically, i have a pretty good graphics card radeon hd 5670 1gb, im on quite a tight budget :/ whats going to make it even harder to upgrade my pc. Im loking to get a new motherboard and a new cpu so as Nellah said i will propally be looking to get new ram aswell, the other problem is I have lost my windows 7 install disc but i do have another one from my brothers pc which has only be used once on his pc, so would I be able to use that on my pc if i need to install again? Also i would only probally be able to spend £400 to £500 on these parts so what should i do ?

Well basically, i have a pretty good graphics card radeon hd 5670 1gb, im on quite a tight budget :/ whats going to make it even harder to upgrade my pc. Im loking to get a new motherboard and a new cpu so as Nellah said i will propally be looking to get new ram aswell, the other problem is I have lost my windows 7 install disc but i do have another one from my brothers pc which has only be used once on his pc, so would I be able to use that on my pc if i need to install again? Also i would only probally be able to spend £400 to £500 on these parts so what should i do ?
    If it's the same type of Windows 7 (OEM, Retail) it should work with the key that came with your computer. The Certificate of Authenticity that is/should be affixed to the case has the product key that you'd use.

An alternative if you're on a tight budget is to get something more along the lines of either a dual-core or a cheaper quad core, such as the i3-2100 or the i5-2300. That'll leave more budget for a higher quality motherboard, RAM, and would allow you to save money towards a new video card as well. I don't know what the UK prices are like relative to here (I'm in the USA) but a $500US budget is enough for a good case, P67 motherboard, i5-2500K, and 8GiB RAM, with some left over to buy a pizza.
    Super casual.

£4-500 is enough for cpu+motherboard+ram+case if you aren't going for the most expensive choices.

You can use your brother's Win7 install disc, but you have to use your own license number. It should be in a sticker somewhere in the case, or you can dig it out with special tools (google for "windows 7 cd key recovery"). The disc itself is 100% identical for all versions from Home Premium to Ultimate, but there are separate versions for 32 and 64bit. Make sure to install 64bit version (it will work with a cd-key that came with 32bit windows even).
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Also i would only probably be able to spend £400 to £500 on these parts so what should i do ?
    Weeeeeeelll

CPU: i5-2500K - 164
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-PH67A - 87
    RAM: G.Skill 4GB - 40
    Case: CM HAF 912 Plus - 55

Just a rough list but you're sitting at around 340 for this. You can just use your current video card, power supply, hard drive, etc. for the rest.

This gives you around 60 to upgrade what you want (I'd personally go for a Motherboard and RAM upgrade). You could also probably find a better supplier then ebuyer that gives you more options.
    Last edited by muCephei; 2011-05-27 at 04:49 PM.

Deleted
    I think im going to go with muCephei plan thanks every one for the advice

Let people (who want to) pick over my list a bit though, as its quite possible others will have better suggestions :P

I think im going to go with muCephei plan thanks every one for the advice
    Dont buy the 2500k , you cant overclock it on a H67 motherboard, just get a plain 2500 with no K.

Motherboard: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/261290 MSI H67 E-45 - 79
    CPU: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/251597 Core i5 2500 - 153
    RAM: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/180490 G.skill 2x2Gb 1600Mhz - 44
    Case: Haf 912 I guess, its a good case - 55
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2011-05-27 at 05:10 PM.

@mnm
    The difference between the 2500k and 2500(sans K) is £10. For £10 you might as well future proof your purchase better.

Edit:
    Besides, I put him £60 under his lowest range listed just so he had room to upgrade.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/267504
    There, a P67 board for £30 more then the previous one I listed. So is now around £370.

Overall, Cammy will have to decide :P
    Last edited by muCephei; 2011-05-27 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muCephei View Post
    The difference between the 2500k and 2500(sans K) is £10. For £10 you might as well future proof your purchase better.
    Taking H67 board and 2500K CPU is just as epic fail for future proofing as P67 board and 2500 non-K CPU.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Taking H67 board and 2500K CPU is just as epic fail for future proofing as P67 board and 2500 non-K CPU.
    Hence my repeated suggestions to upgrade the motherboard. But yeah...that is true >_>

Yeah, switching the motherboard to a P67 variant and keeping the 2500K is solid.
    Super casual.

All of this 2500 talk seems a bit overkill if you don't plan on upgrading your graphics card. You could save a lot of money if you went with a different processor.

If you're only using this for WoW (don't think you mentioned this part...), I would suggest going with something like a 955 or 965 BE and just about any AM3 motherboard. I know people like to list more expensive combos, but they're overkill for WoW. You'd save enough money to upgrade your graphics card.

Based on Newegg prices (just for comparison's sake) , the 2500k and 1155 mobo would run you $225+$85, so $310. A 965 BE and half decent motherboard would run you $140+$75, so $215.

No, it's not as good as the 2500k combo, but it's certainly good enough to run WoW on max settings. You can use that extra $100 you saved to put towards a video card if you wanted, or just plain save $100.

To each their own...

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik View Post
    Based on Newegg prices (just for comparison's sake) , the 2500k and 1155 mobo would run you $225+$85, so $310. A 965 BE and half decent motherboard would run you $140+$75, so $215.

No, it's not as good as the 2500k combo, but it's certainly good enough to run WoW on max settings. You can use that extra $100 you saved to put towards a video card if you wanted, or just plain save $100.

To each their own...
    i5-2500K will run 50% faster in 25-man raids than 965BE, and any money past $100 put on GPU is wasted for WoW if you're playing on 1920x1080 or smaller monitor. Also x4 955 is best value for money AMD CPU for gaming use currently, not 965.
    Trolling should be.