Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    Hmmm? You don't know who Yahtzee is? Seriously? And you thought that asking us who this was (he's one of the most famous video game reviewers on the planet if not the most famous) instead of googling him was a good idea?

Been playing video games since they were loaded from cassette tape, and I've never heard of him. But then again I'm not a sheep that needs people to tell me what games/books/movies etc. are worth watching/reading/playing.

A better question would be, somebody gets paid to review video games? Seriously?

l2think for yourselves people

10+ Year Old Account
    Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw has got to be the coolest bloody bastad iv ever seen ever.
    loved his review. and im not slow like you blokes so i dod undastand what he sayd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    Been playing video games since they were loaded from cassette tape, and I've never heard of him. But then again I'm not a sheep that needs people to tell me what games/books/movies etc. are worth watching/reading/playing.

A better question would be, somebody gets paid to review video games? Seriously?

He also runs a bar in Brisbane that is called "The Mana Bar" that closes at midnight and was created for "gamers". And by "gamers", I mean terrible cardigan-wearing hipsters.

Did I mention that it closes at midnight?

PS. TotalBiscuit > Yahtzee

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

I wouldn't brag about not knowing one of the most famous characters in the video game scene. It's not something to brag about. It actually reflects poorly on you.

Merged the new thread into the other one.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Well that was quite amusing.

My god I have no idea how he can keep speaking like that for 5 straight minutes, was a nice video though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    I like Yahtzee but i dont understand his fanbase.
    They praise every "review" he does, yet they dont realise he gets paid to badmouth games.
    What does him getting paid or not matter? He gives his thoughts. He's recommended games in the past, but that's not really the general spirit of the ZP series.

---------- Post added 2011-01-13 at 05:57 PM ----------

Wow, isn't that all angsty and juvenile.

There's thousands of games released each year and you can't possibly become informed enough about each individually to make an educated decision on whether it's a worthwhile purchase for you. Hence reviewers that try to provide a useful base of information. People also review other things like cars, food and music, among other things. Crazy.

Is this a serious question? Seriously? People who provide quality content (be it reviews or op-eds, etc) get paid for it. And I'm pretty sure PC Gamer and EGM have been reviewing games for a few decades.

It's not about "thinking for yourself" (lol!), it's about trying to build a base to start from. If a reviewer says things about a game, you might -upon discovering that you agree with them- be inclined to pay more creedance to their other reviews. If you disagree, you might be less inclined to do so. See how it works?

Yahtzee reviews Cataclysm (!)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...raft-Cataclysm

Posted 12th of January, some people have seen it, others haven't. Thought I'd just share it.

Don't start a flame war on these forum boards for what he says, if you have an issue with whatever he is saying in the video, take it up with him on his forum / website, not here. This isn't a flame thread. The point of the video is for fun, and to review the game in his own cynical way. There may be some cursing in his videos, whereas sensitive should not watch.

Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier10101
    Yep, humans went around in those days casting balls of nature and stars at each other, and healing each other on the battlefield with thrown leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

We do think for ourselves. We also think that his reviews are funny. That's the entire point.

We're not looking for Yahtzee to tell us which games we should like, because if that was the case, we could count on one hand how many good games there are.
    I enjoy watching his videos because I enjoy the visual puns, and generally think he's humorous.

You people arguing against him need to realize we aren't "sheep", we realize that his sometimes harsh criticism has an entertaining side to it. Even our favorite games aren't perfect, and even the "worst" games can have some minor redeeming qualities. As far as I know, he very seldomly reviews a game without bringing up something positive about it, even if it's minor. That and it's pretty obvious he has some extreme biases (JRPGs, MMOs, etc), but again, we can find humor in that.

Anyone that takes Yahtzee very seriously is doing it wrong.