Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    To contribute to the discussion, if you're talking about some greenie that dropped and you say "u want it" then nobody is going to care. If you're going to try to convince someone of your scholarly opinion then "u agree" is probably not the best way to go at it.

I don't usually mind if people write their or there or they're. I'm not a native speaker myself, I can only do my best and try to remember when to use "fewer" and "less" again. No doubt I make plenty of mistakes, so it'd be hypocrite if I'd judge others. However, it just seems rude to me when someone opens a trade window to my mage and goes "wter plz". Would it hurt you to ask "could I please have some water". It's just, I dunno, language is more than just conveying a message, request or opinion. You can express so much with it and respect (and gratitude, in this case) is one of those things.

When on WoW I really don't see the use of writing in proper grammar. On forums though, it makes things a lot more understandable. Thing is, most people don't have English as their native language, so writing can be a challenge. But meh, I'm not too bothered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

Helping your uncle jack off a horse

and

Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    The correct sentence is:

"Helping your uncle Jack, off a horse."

Thumbs up for using "effective" though, so many people seem to use "affective" in its place a lot.

I just don't see why its an issue, no really.
    if the post is unintelligble then don't read it, if your going to derail my argument because I typed the to fast and it came out teh then well done you, I'm on a forum and I type fast, im not likely to proof read and edit my posts because its just not worth it.

If I make a glaring error then I correct it.
    But I make so many errors so half the I don't notice or just don't care, if your that bothered maybe you should just stick to forums for English teachers?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotjuice View Post
    How about you all stop thinking the world rotates around the USA
    You mean it doesn't? Everyone else around the world seems to think so...
    Originally Posted by Fargo (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    The primordial soup that creates heroes never tastes of rainbows -- it’s a lumpy gumbo of suffering and evil.

How about you all stop thinking the world rotates around the USA
    I actually had a chuckle at this at first. Couldn't quite grasp how the whole could rotate around a part of itself. But there I go, being a literal again.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

This subject actually reminds me of this...
    Last edited by Shrain; 2011-01-15 at 08:59 AM.
    I am calypso, and I thank you for playing Twisted Metal.

Deleted

and

This is not a grammer flaw, its a punctuation flaw. Please do your homework before making retarded comments.

My only problem with people who do not use proper grammar is not the grammar per se. It's just that there seems to be a correlation between having poor grammar as well as being generally rude, impatient and stupid. So when I see someone who has poor grammar I know that (in most cases) this is probably the guy within my party that will spam "GOGOGOG PLZZ", the one that will not CC, the one that will blame others for his or her own mistakes - to put it into a context.

Personally, I don't flame or yell at someone for any of these things, especially with things in mind such as the person in question probably being somewhat young. But all of this inevitably leads to me associating people with poor grammar with also having a generally poor behavior. Sadly, I'm more than often correct in doing so.

and

New sig anyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Woman, without her man, is nothing.
    Woman: Without her, man is nothing.

My personal favorite. It sure beats eating your grandparents.
    The only Rogue Baroness

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    Lets eat, Grandma
    and
    Lets eat Grandma.

2 different things all together.

EDIT: Damn someone beat me to it
    Irony: Forgetting the apostrophe in this sentence. Good job, sir!

OT: If something is so illegible you can't read it, you probably wouldn't want to talk to them anyway. If something is legible but with incorrect grammar, who the flying fuckfuck in the desert of Dune cares?

You're post is difinitely relevent too todays younger generation.

Dun apply to me tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I feel as tho people who need to correct grammar always need to feel as they are better than everyone else. If it is understandable what is the problem?
    We don't feel we're better than everyone else. A simple typo or two in a paragraph or a misspelled word here or there isn't the problem. It's sentences that take 2-3 reads--at the very least--to understand that cause the rest of us to want to scream. I hate having to try to "interpret" what someone's trying to say. Usually the meaning is discernable after taking some time to stop and reread several times to figure it out, but English (and other languages as well) were standardized to prevent this very problem! If you've ever tried to read something written during the middle ages you'll understand what I mean about the standardization. Everything then becomes so much easier to just do one quick scan-through and the meaning is abundantly clear. It's a big hassle to try to figure out each individual person's unique take on how to spell something like 'refreshments.'

Rifreshmants
    Rephreshments
    Refreashmentz
    Reefreshments
    Reephreshments
    Reephreashmeantz

The possibilities go on. Isn't it so much easier and faster to simply spell it correctly?

why does someone have to write proper just for your SMALL unintelligent brain to understand it?

i mean

actually trying to interprit proper GRAMMAR is the same difficulty as trying to interprit bad grammar ITS SCIENCE!!!!!!

I hAZ a cut in my faze i put bandage on faze i luuk like franstiine

you dont like it?

hhahaahahahaahaaha I have a slug and i make it melt with salt and watch it die

SLUGGY SLUG SLUG

---------- Post added 2011-01-15 at 10:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cenzen View Post
    You're post is difinitely relevent too todays younger generation.

Dun apply to me tho.
    so every "OLD" person have good grammar? HAHAHAH SLUGGY SLUG SLGU

Quote Originally Posted by sadface View Post
    why does someone have to write proper just for your SMALL unintelligent brain to understand it?

i mean

actually trying to interprit proper GRAMMAR is the same difficulty as trying to interprit bad grammar ITS SCIENCE!!!!!!

I hAZ a cut in my faze i put bandage on faze i luuk like franstiine

you dont like it?

hhahaahahahaahaaha I have a slug and i make it melt with salt and watch it die

SLUGGY SLUG SLUG

---------- Post added 2011-01-15 at 10:12 AM ----------

so every "OLD" person have good grammar? HAHAHAH SLUGGY SLUG SLGU
    I posted here earlier saying something about there often (<- often, not always) being a correlation bad grammar and idiotic behavior. I believe this is a prime example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Porper grammer is umportunt so u dont get maid fun of over teh intrenet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    Porper grammer is umportunt so u dont get maid fun of over teh intrenet
    I see what you did there... after a few attempts, but I think that's what I was intended to see.

I can has jelly?

Avatar and Sig by Serryn. Amazing TY

Deleted
    If you're trying to make a point, people will not listen unless you use at least semi-correct grammar/punctuation/spelling. I'm not saying everyone has to type perfectly or they're worthless, but capital letters and punctuation when necessary make your point so much more powerful. The most important thing to me is using the correct 'your' or 'there'.
    theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling