Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I praise your writing and suddenly I am besmearing you? Interesting.

A screwdriver isn't going to help you operate a drawer better. It might help you tighten the screws though. However, there's a short in your electric one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steavz View Post
    I know a lot of people don't care about proper grammar (in their native language no less). You have to understand though, you sound ridiculous when you spell things improperly, use/don't use proper punctuation, or spl like ur txting. But if you could actually hear what it sounds like, you'd sound like this...
    "lololol w/e, this isnt english class, lolz"

This is what you sound like in my head.
    Well in that cases I guess You could start a crusade to get people to replace "Jesus" with "Yeshua" if proper grammar is that important to you.

Hopelizy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    The English language is not evolving. It is degrading and within 100 years no one will be capable of reading. I pity those who think Shakespeare is difficult now.
    I agree that the language does appear to be degrading, but if you looked back over the evolution of language (English specifically), you will see that our words and phrases have been shortened substantially. I believe that our society is becoming too lazy; hence, we find that texting is more expedient than formal type. It is a sad day when even in our everday conversations, people actually say "lol" rather than actually laugh. I despise the way the language evolves, but the fact remains that it does, and this is just another form of that evolution. I do not believe that our society has completely changed so much that people cannot at least attempt to use good grammar, but I do realize that people will type and speak in their own manner. I am not so deluded to assume that anyone will ever adhere to the proper standards of writing, but I would like to say that it would be nice if people would at least acknowledge their shortcomings in their compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexxia View Post
    "If you have proper grammar you ARE better than someone who doesn't." LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
    Better make sure you dont screw it up. We have places for your type.

---------- Post added 2011-01-20 at 04:57 PM ----------

Wow, so many different examples of brainwashing and conditioning in this thread you could write a paper.
    Of course someone had to be all offended and bothered. Let me explain what was understood by rational people. What I said there meant that having proper grammar shows that you are better at it than someone who doesn't, not that you are a better human being in general. Breathe, relax, I'm not throwing burning paper bags of shit at people, I'm only pointing out what most people already know.

Hahahaha. Get over yourself.
    Exactly the kind of brainless reply I was expecting from someone who can't fight the urge to be "aggressive" on an internet forum. But it will never occur to you that you just don't get it.

These forums are full of degenerates. You cannot openly express your feelings or opinion on any topic without some of them thinking that you're trying to force something upon them.

There is a movie out there by the name of Idiocracy and it's hilarious how accurate it is becoming.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    These forums are full of degenerates. You cannot openly express your feelings or opinion on any topic without some of them thinking that you're trying to force something upon them.

There is a movie out there by the name of Idiocracy and it's hilarious how accurate it is becoming.
    Ain't that the truth! I mean, that's the truth. LoL

I'm personally still sad that Jive is dead. Oh, and Latin too.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The rules and machinations of grammar that we have thus set in place are suitable to our needs for communication. Perhaps "leet speak" is acceptable when texting or using some similar device. But this should not preclude proper communication of words and ideas as a whole.

The whole reason behind this thinking is to reduce ambiguity. Uncle Jack is a good example, but I fear it not quite practical for everyday use. A more concrete example would be one where letters are redacted in favor of syllabic sounds, such as a post from previous in this thread (not verbatim)

You hav to lern to talk lik everyone else (minus the numeric characters, as I cannot remember which were used in place of letters).

Because this is already read with an air of ambiguity, we must consider the possible meanings of the sentence. Could it be "You have to learn to talk, lick everyone else"? Or is it "You have to learn to talk like everyone else?" While the meaning might be clear here, the room for error is obvious. This degradation of communication must not be overlooked; the system that is in place works and, in my opinion, should not devolve into its current circulations.

10+ Year Old Account
    My friend has a terrible grammar, and 75% of you would probably spend at least 5 minutes staring at what he says, trying to understand. I did that before, because his sentences make no sense if you read them out loud, but I've been with him for so long that it just doesn't make a difference to me now. Sometimes I still have to struggle, though. He's a nice guy, but his english is horrible.

I have no idea why people insist in shortening their words, like "you" for example. It sounds bad. It is bad.

By the way, "your" and "you're" are completely different.
    "I have taught you many ways to kill a mortal, Kratos. Flesh that burns, bones that break. But to break a man's spirit is to truly destroy him!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltronn
    GIRL BETTER BE QUIET MAKIN MA SAMMICH... ¬.¬

Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    That proves that even though you try this hard they are still richer and more intelligent than you are. I'm glad you brought this up. K.O.
    This is the worst trolling by you so far in this thread.

That proves that even though you try this hard they are still richer...
    This is a very far fetched assumption, you're just grasping at straws now. I could be a multi-millionaire and the person that wrote that e-mail could be a heroin junkie that lost everything due to a drug and gambling addiction, who is only going to be holding onto that job until they get their next fix. This conclusion makes about as much sense as your theory. On a side note, it's unfortunate that you seem to have a hangup on someones monetary status as their prominent defining characteristic, but I digress.

...and more intelligent than you are.
    On what planet are you drawing the correlation here? You have no idea what I do, or what type of education I have. Again, assumptions based on absolutely no facts. I will give you a hint though, I can get a job that's a little more prestigious than an insurance broker's secretary.

But, if you are referring to the Insurance Company itself being "richer and more intelligent", it's one of the ones that needed a Bailout, so it's neither.

I'm glad you brought this up.
    Likewise.

K.O.
    I don't even...

This will be the last batch of Troll snacks I'll be throwing your way, though.
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-20 at 07:33 PM.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

I can't stand the whiners who whine about people whining about grammar. Uhh....at least I think that is right. Anyways, grammar is important. I might not be like my mother who will correct anyone and everyone but, personally, if I say or spell something incorrectly I like to know. It saddens me that our generation has so little pride in the way they speak. Sorry, but if you can't speak properly, you sound stupid. And yes, you SHOULD care what other people think. It bothers me that younger people have this "I don't care" attitude about EVERYTHING.

Well in that cases I guess You could start a crusade to get people to replace "Jesus" with "Yeshua" if proper grammar is that important to you.
    How about we just replace jesus with nothing? Or an intrinsic sense of self worth that doesn't necessitate external organization of control and manipulation?

But I digress. Yeshua, while using the roman alphabet, is not English. Jesus is the English translation of Yeshua. This is not a grammatical disparity, it is an entirely separate language. Your point might carry weight if the OP was demanding that all people named Jack must be called Jaques on purely grammatical grounds.

As for the topic of proper grammar in general. The English language is constantly evolving, this is true. Leet speaking or text messaging are not a replacement for actual English any more than ebonics or jive are. It remains to be seen what the longevity and ubiquity of these new short hands will be. I can't recall recently hearing the phrase "Let's truck on down to the gin mill and slide our jibs" but at one time this was a decipherable sub set of English. The purpose of those subsets was largely one of cultural identity. Using these vernaculars showed you to be part of, or at least supportive of those cultures. To use these sociolects in inappropriate circles would result in confusion, disdain, or at least a sense that you did not belong. In order to decide for yourself whether you think proper English grammar is important, you must ask yourself the following; is gaming a cultural subset that you wish to be associated with? Are you comfortable with the perceptions people outside of that subset will have of you? And most importantly, does it make you seem cool to speak/type that way?
    Last edited by Flameresistant; 2011-01-20 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Who is that actually?
    If you mean don't know Colonel (actually Oberst) Klink, then...

If you mean which two I meant: Klink and that fat guard who always witnesses Hogan's shenanigans but never says a word.
    Of course, I have to acknowledge that most likely not all other guards were Nazi supporters, as was the case with every German during that time, but we just don't know about them.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    If you mean don't know Colonel (actually Oberst) Klink, then...

If you mean which two I meant: Klink and that fat guard who always witnesses Hogan's shenanigans but never says a word.
    Of course, I have to acknowledge that most likely not all other guards were Nazi supporters, as was the case with every German during that time, but we just don't know about them.
    I actually don't know this tv show, thought this guy was some historic figure
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

Helping your uncle jack off a horse

and

Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    Was expecting OP to say this.. ;

First page, at least... +1 for originality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    On a forum or in a game you are just being ignorant if you don't manage to read or don't want to read something with bad grammar.
    On a forum or in a game you are being ignorant (and disrespectful) if you don't manage or don't want to write something with good grammar, so other people can understand what you have to say.
    I mean, if you don't take the time (or don't want) to write something that's understandable, I think that you actually don't have anything interesting/useful/funny/cool to share with others.

Deleted
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but "Why is proper grammar important" would be a much more sounding as far as sentence composition goes. Mr Original Poster, you need to be properly edumacated yourself.

I'm fucking grasshopper.

I'm a fucking grasshopper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    The English language is not evolving. It is degrading and within 100 years no one will be capable of reading. I pity those who think Shakespeare is difficult now.

Did it then degrade or evolve from runes and hieroglyphs to this? both systems were more complex. Ill conclude that evolving is degrading.
    Last edited by mmoc78c4987cad; 2011-01-21 at 10:42 AM.

Now English is not my first language...

I usually compare writing to the spoken language, I don't mind someone speaking with a certain dialect as accent. It's the same with writing, it evolves and can be understood anyways regardless.'
    Not sure if grammar and spelling is the same thing, but it's probably connected

Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

Helping your uncle jack off a horse

and

Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    I just pissed my pants.