Thread: Magmaw help

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Magmaw help

So tonight my raid group is going to be going in to do Magmaw but I have a question, first heres our group make up

Prot pally
    Prot Warr

2x Resto druids
    Resto shammy

kitty druid
    Arcane mage
    Shadow priest
    Rogue
    unholy dk OR fury warr

So as you can see we only have 2 range, should we even be trying this since the entire phase 1 is pretty much controlling the adds and if the range cant kill them we are gonna be screwed, or maybe have the rogue helping by using fan of knives or something.

Im not sure if theres a post on here or not about this similar makeup but I just dont want to go spend 3 hours on something that we have no chance of downing.

Thanks!

Deleted
    I can only tell you this: You don't kill the adds. You kite them. At least my raid does this

But i thought you needed to kill them, before more came out since they put a nasty debuff on whomever they reach

Put prot pally @ range, have him solo adds.
    DPS zerg boss and ignore adds.
    Warrior tank solo tanks Magmaw.
    Win.

and blah i forgot to mention that im gonna have the prot war go fury since you only need 1 tank lol

Quote Originally Posted by beneholio View Post
    I can only tell you this: You don't kill the adds. You kite them. At least my raid does this

WTF? You kite the adds, as you kill them. You can't just indefinitely kite them you'll be overrun.

Having only 2 ranged classes is going to hurt. We usually have a shadowfury and frost trap at least in the raid, opening with SF and using frost trap aura for additional slow time.

The entire fight is about handling adds, and getting some burn in when the boss is chained down.

On a side note, we have had our rogue FOK crippling and use tricks to a ranged member so as not to get any parasites on himself while he is in their melee range, but this isnt as solid as a good solid area slow and aoe stun.

Have your dk go frost and howling blast kite the adds...It makes the fight a joke

Have your rogue help. The adds need to be killed while they're being kited. You can have the rogue tricks a ranged and then go crazy with Fan of Knives. Hopefully, they're at least specced with 1 point in deadly brew which will have a pretty good chance of applying crippling poison to the worms making them easier to kite. This is how my guild did it, and I was the rogue doing it. Works like a charm.

Not sure about 10 man but on 25's we just have a DK howling blast kite them with hunter frost traps everywhere. It only becomes a problem if too many people are hit by the pillar.

Deleted
    Kite the adds and nuke, move from pillar of fire, move from the fog, get someone in charge of the chains to bring him onto the spike
    HEAL TANKS when they are being nomnomnomed - nuke at spike and rinse and repeat

The best that I can think is have the pally tank, warrior go dps; have the mage break out a pvp frost spec.

Mage stands at range, as soon as the adds are out freeze them. Rogue TotT + FoK the adds, as well as the dk popping all his aoe stuff (dots gargoyle etc). Shadow priests can do a bit of damage to adds but it wont be alot, you'll need the mage dk rogue and priest to deal with the adds effectively.

Make sure you make it clear to the rogue and the dk that they're add patrol the entire fight, they should be saving energy and runes for the adds and the bosses brain, thats it.

Past that, just make sure everyone is back in melee range before the next pillar so it spawns on the mage consistently

thanks for all the replys guys, ill deff have the dk go frost then, and also ask the resto sham to throw do earthbind and searing flame totems, maybe thatll help to

Get your spare tank to tank the adds and have 1 on the boss.

Just have everyone stand in melee range but the prot war. Prot war not only can tank the worms but doesn't need a healer because of victory rush. He will pull 30k dps or so. The fight is a joke with this strat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonhastusk View Post
    Just have everyone stand in melee range but the prot war. Prot war not only can tank the worms but doesn't need a healer because of victory rush. He will pull 30k dps or so. The fight is a joke with this strat.
    Does that actually work? I'd think he'd eventually get overrun by the multiplying parasites. Though I guess that leads to the question of whether its possible to be infected by more than one at once. I suppose if its not than you'd just have extras spawning every 10 secs which might be manageable. Hmm if anyone else has tried this method I'd like to hear more about it heh.

10+ Year Old Account
    DK goes frost, Mage goes frost, druid goes boomkin, and you should no problem with adds. In fact, it might even be a bit of a overkill, my guild only needed a Frost DK for adds

Is it really a viable option to have a tank on the adds and all dps focus on the boss? I would think you would be overrun with parasites if your dps wasn't absolutely amazing. I ask this because we tried this fight for the first time last night and were a melee heavy, aoe light group with very limited control options and we struggled to keep the parasites under control.

Edit: I should add that my group has no mage and usually no hunter.

Deleted
    Get more ranged! and ofc kite becuase you dont have enough ranged to kill them <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlendorn View Post
    Have your dk go frost and howling blast kite the adds...It makes the fight a joke
    same thing we do. this fight is a complete joke. one shot first time there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make your Mage go Fire, tell him to use blastwave as soon as the adds come and while him and the shadowpriest hit the adds and have aggro, your melee can go in and spam FoK / Bladestorm etc if needed. While boss isn't impaled, damage on him isn't the priority.