Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you know what AFL is?

AFL most recently has tried to broaden its horizons and appeal to other countries and hopefully entice more and more people to play the game.

I know that outside of my home country it doesnt really seem to be well know compaired to many popular sports such as Basketball and Football (Soccer, if you will). So i've made this thread out of curiosity.

Do you know what AFL is/stands for?

And please, be honest. I want to know what you thought when you first read this post, not when you looked around at other posts and read what other people said.
    Last edited by Berteh; 2011-01-14 at 07:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I know it is the Arena Football League, where defense is dead. Average game involves 50+ points scored. Disgusting.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    being Australian myself, I am kinda cheating here. but AFL - Australian Footbal League aka the worst game ever

Lolz worst game ever SIF ..... Go Cats!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it meant Away From Life. Silly me.

I wish the site had a little tag by the topics in the "recent forum posts" list on the front page that said what forum it's in. Until I clicked through and saw this was the sports forum I was thinking "American Federation of Labor? Auto-focus Lock? What the heck is this post about?"
    "Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." - Terry Pratchett

A Fat Lady>?

people that say AFL is shit, its because there to scared to play it, we don't use padding to protect ourselves its either go hard or go home

before i look it up id like to say arena football

I am the Warrior. Death is my business. Be it yours...or mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by audioslave90 View Post
    people that say AFL is shit, its because there to scared to play it, we don't use padding to protect ourselves its either go hard or go home
    how is it where scared of the sport by calling it crap?

wej ust simply dont like the sport and i find it in incredibly stupid/boring alongside cricket.

Coming from Australia myself, I find it hilarious when I have to try and explain the game to friends in America and such. Especially when they get so excited about it and end up looking up youtube videos with some game footage.
    A sammich without bread isn't a sammich, it's just meat with mustard on your hands!

Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I thought it meant Away From Life. Silly me.
    Would have been my guess aswell - 7 am in the morniger here i guess i sould go to bed?

AFL is so much more athletic than NFL. And it's faster, more brutal, higher scoring, more skill full and just way more entertaining to watch than any other football game. I agree cricket is boring tho.

Carn The Power!
    Last edited by Jesamere; 2011-01-14 at 06:26 AM. Reason: shamless team barracking......

AFL isnt actually what the sport is called. Its the name on the competion at it's highest level.
    Aussie Rules is a sport for athletes. Some top midfielders will run upwards of 15km (9.3 miles) in a 2 hour match, at top speed. Leaping, dodging, marking, kicking.
    The game is starting to spread in many countries. The US, Canada, China, England, just to name a few.
    While some will say they don't like it, that they find it boring, it is only because they don't understand it. If they had been brought up on it, as they were gridiron, or football, the tune would be very different.
    Perhaps it is too fast paced for them?
    Perhaps they prefer time outs, switching out offensive lines for defensive lines, the acting that is the epitome of a footballer when they have had their leg grazed by a gush of wind caused by the boot of an opposition player.
    Who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Chroi View Post
    The acting that is the epitome of a footballer when they have had their leg grazed by a gush of wind caused by the boot of an opposition player.
    Who knows
    You have to admit, there are times in AFL where the play it up way too much, any sport that can cause a penalty or such does.
    A sammich without bread isn't a sammich, it's just meat with mustard on your hands!

Is everyone talking about the same AFL?

Seems like a few are talking arena football league, others Australian football league(rugby? not sure, just asking).

If I'm not completely wrong and it's about rugby, I can't say much about it since I don't follow the sport, but I've seen a few Arena football games. It's fun to watch for a while, but I'll always prefer College/NFL football over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jesamere View Post
    afl is so much more athletic than nfl. And it's faster, more brutal, higher scoring, more skill full and just way more entertaining to watch than any other football game. I agree cricket is boring tho.

Carn the power!
    carn the power!

---------- Post added 2011-01-14 at 05:44 PM ----------

I find it interesting that so many people are saying Arena Football, never heard of it myself to be honest lol

---------- Post added 2011-01-14 at 05:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chroi View Post
    AFL isnt actually what the sport is called. Its the name on the competion at it's highest level.
    Aussie Rules is a sport for athletes. Some top midfielders will run upwards of 15km (9.3 miles) in a 2 hour match, at top speed. Leaping, dodging, marking, kicking.
    The game is starting to spread in many countries. The US, Canada, China, England, just to name a few.
    While some will say they don't like it, that they find it boring, it is only because they don't understand it. If they had been brought up on it, as they were gridiron, or football, the tune would be very different.
    Perhaps it is too fast paced for them?
    Perhaps they prefer time outs, switching out offensive lines for defensive lines, the acting that is the epitome of a footballer when they have had their leg grazed by a gush of wind caused by the boot of an opposition player.
    Who knows
    You are correct about the games name being AFL at the competitive level, and the actual sports name being Aussie Rules Cheers for reminding me

10+ Year Old Account
    Interestingly enough, AFL is the only game to give a point to a team when they miss..

coupled with men slapping each other on the ass, it's quite a turn off.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    its GFL aka gay football league imo