Deleted

Fraps writes multiple small files rahter than 1 big while recording

The other day I noticed the amount of video files in my Fraps folder increased a lot faster than what I recorded. I quickly realized Fraps sometimes chose to begin writing a new file, this seemed to occur ever 1 to 2 minutes. I don't think I lose any frames from this but it's very annoying having 10 video clips rather than 1.

My OS runs from a seperate SSD, WoW and Fraps are on a 1TB 7200 RPM HDD with ~800GB of free space and no large amount of reserved space I'm aware of. I also write the recorded movies to this HDD, but writing them to another HDD seems to cause the same problems.

Ideas on what's going on?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Windows cant handle single files over 4 GB (or around that if I remember correctly) thats why fraps have to divide it up.

The raw files you get when you record directly from the screens are really huge
    Last edited by Leothas; 2011-01-14 at 12:35 PM.

4GB is the limit of FAT32 file system, so Fraps does 3.99GB files for best compatibility. You aren't losing any frames because of it, and all video editing programs can handle it totally fine. Just drag all pieces into timeline and it's seamless.

---------- Post added 2011-01-14 at 02:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Leothas View Post
    Windows cant handle single files over 1 GB (or around that if I remember correcly)) thats why fraps have to divide it up.
    NTFS can handle files bigger than fits into current harddiscs (far into terabyte range), it's FAT32 limitation. Also old avi limitation was 2GB but fraps is using the revised version of avi spec which might be incompatible with some old crap.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Ah, that has to be it. I never saw the files were all at rougly 3.9 GB.

So if I want to record my game in HD I'll have to live with all these tiny files?

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Ah, that has to be it. I never saw the files were all at rougly 3.9 GB.

So if I want to record my game in HD I'll have to live with all these tiny files?
    Unfortunately yes. Though they aren't too hard to work with either way. If anything it makes it easier on the editing program to have the video split up anyway.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    you can use other programs, like gamecam or hypercam.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Unfortunately yes. Though they aren't too hard to work with either way. If anything it makes it easier on the editing program to have the video split up anyway.
    I could've sworn I've written larger files with Fraps tho...

It's annoying to backtrack through many files, especially since I won't be editing them for quite a while. Guess I could merge them but I'm not a genious at compressing video and would not like to lose quality from compiling the files several times...

15+ Year Old Account
    just put them in separate folders once they're recorded
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right