View Poll Results: What could exterminate us?

Voters
417. This poll is closed
  • Aliens

14 3.36%
  • Disease

43 10.31%
  • Natural Disaster

49 11.75%
  • Ourselves

232 55.64%
  • Other, specify in thread

27 6.47%
  • We are invincible!

52 12.47%
Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

What could exterminate us Humans?

A pretty interesting subject I posted on the WoW official EU forums a while ago.

Seeing as these forums share more thoughts than forums limited to Europe I'd like to see what answers I get here

So anyway, let's post the possibilities I found so far:

- Aliens: Might sound absurd, but it's still possible. Even Steven Hawkin stated that we shouldn't draw the attention of aliens because they might attack our planet for our resources.
    I don't really know if they want our already used resources though, I don't really know if they need lumber and oil will probably be replaced by something far more powerful. Maybe they might attack us for the water, but still I don't know if it's worth the trouble for them.

- Disease: As some stated on the EU forums, some bacteria might evolve till they are immune against Anti Biotic. We'll probably find more powerful medicines then though.

- Natural disaster: 2012 like scenario. Biggest disaster would be an asteroid impact. Still, I don't really think this is going to happen, and if it will happen. Then our species will definitely won't just sit and watch how the massive chunk of a failed planet destroys us.

- Humans themselves: Pretty easy to understand. We nuke each other till we all die. Probably this won't happen because our leaders probably want to live as well.

If you know any other scenarios, please post them

Deleted
    Humans. We're doing it as I write this!

Pretty sure we'll end up exterminating ourselves.

Deleted
    I am an atheist but I have to bring this one:

GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...

4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down
    etc.

I mean, that's just horrible....

Ourselves, in many ways..

The only escape is to figure out how to colonize the stars as fast as possible.

You overlooked a combination of factors that you already presented. Just because we haven't found any sort of life outside of Earth does not mean it does not exist. An asteroid large enough to cause an extinction-level impact event isn't required, just one large enough to make it to the ground carrying some sort of deadly, virulent pathogen. Edit: Hell, it wouldn't even have to be a pathogen. Just an element with strong enough radiation emissions or some sort of invasive plantlife that chokes off our own(sorry, had to blatantly steal the whole tiberium thing)

Barring that: Nukes, nukes everywhere.
    Last edited by Tigercat; 2011-01-14 at 10:35 PM.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

We will destroy ourselves eventually. The question is when and how?

Pretty much anything, any time. I know we like to think we're all special, but the earth has been here for so long there's theoretically been time enough for several species to evolve to our level (if not technologically, then at least intellectually) and then vanish without a trace.

10+ Year Old Account
    21th december 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    We will destroy ourselves eventually. The question is when and how?
    The answer is, soon and nukes

Quote Originally Posted by etsumii View Post
    21th december 2012.
    I welcome all those that believe in this to give me all their possessions on December 20th. Hey, you won't need it any more anyway, right?
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    The rods! THE RODS! They're after our CHILDREN!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, all of the above has the POTENTIAL to bend the human race over.

It's all about likely hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    You are the devil how can you promote this it kills people in the worst way possible(well the movie is funny when you are smashed)

Deleted
    Black sheep. 'nuff said.

lack of natural resouces due to overpopulation

we dont need nukes to kill ourselfes.... we polute the waters, the sky, the earth and we see the consequences of it... water lvl risin, extreme temperatures where they didnt used to be, floods, tornadoes where they didnt used to pass. yeah we prety much killin ourselfes like this
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tnpm View Post
    we dont need nukes to kill ourselfes.... we polute the waters, the sky, the earth and we see the consequences of it... water lvl risin, extreme temperatures where they didnt used to be, floods, tornadoes where they didnt used to pass. yeah we prety much killin ourselfes like this
    Two words for you

Cyclical. Climate.

I swear there's no possible weather conditions that would get some people to NOT blame it on humans.

Squabbling, war, politics, will all prevent us from colonizing/terraforming another planet until it's too late and we have no resources left to do it. Thus, we'll ultimately end up dying out eventually due to pollution (and associated famine, war for clean resources, etc) making the planet inhospitable to mammals.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.