Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abb View Post
    Simply put, theorycrafting assumes that you know as soon as you cast the spell if it misses or not, and can immediately recast it. You don't. Not only does missing a spell annoy me, a spell miss effect gets exponentially bigger with anything else going on, such as lag or having to move.
    This.

The difference is so little between hit and haste that human error will probably make hit worth more.

Of course, if you are on a target dummy and only have to stare at your dot timers, perhaps you could react fast enough. But on a new encounter when shit hits the fan, you may very well not realize that some of your dots have missed and that's when it really counts.

At the end of the day though, as some have pointed out, the difference in dps is not going to be massive. So it's more about peace of mind knowing that you are hit capped, or whether you just don't care and would rather have more dps stats.

Hit is extremely important to spriests because it's what determines if a spell cast will land on an enemy target.
    At 17% everything we cast is guaranteed to land on our target, my approach to this was pretty text book, it looks something like this:

Hit > Int > Hast > Crit > Mastery

Twisted faith converts Spirit into Hit, so equipping a few pieces of spirit gear is alright for us spriests.

Once hit cap was achieved I stacked Intellect. Gear with Crit or Mastery is reforged into Haste.

Haste is how a MAJOR contributor to our DPS - since we're a DOT class, the quicker our DOTs tick the more DPS we dish out. Mastery seems a bit broken - to me at least, and crit doesn't happen enough for spriests. So we cut our lost with Haste, the quicker our DOTs tick the more chances we get a critical and in turn proc our shadow apparition. As an added bonus, Mind Flay is considered a channeled DOT now and since it's our bread and butter ability Haste will amplify this ability's damage.
    Last edited by HAWT5AUCE; 2011-01-17 at 05:35 PM.

Overall, the general argument for being below the hitcap as an SP is solely based on theorycrafting which is in turn based on simcraft logs. IMO, this is one of the most dangerous trains of thought out there for SP's who read it and immediately take it at face value and assume they are going to pull more dps in their low iLvl Avg sets by ignoring the hitcap. I would be willing to bet that in like 90% of cases, their dps drops even lower, as sadly, the bottom line is the same people who err in judgement by taking the simcraft logs out of context are the same ones who aren't going to notice the misses when they do happen. This shouldnt even be an issue any longer: a)look at some of the frequent posters on these boards, b)look at their gear, c)look at the intelligence which is obviously apparent in someone like New's analytical post and then d)consider that they are all telling you to GET CAPPED.