Sad or good news for hunters?

Seems in 4.0.6, our 4p for PvE has gotten changed.

The PvE hunter 4-piece set bonus has been redesigned. It now reduces the cast time of Steady Shot and Cobra Shot by .2 seconds.

While I do like this, I'm not sure as to whether this is a buff or nerf compared to the current 4p bonus. I guess this would allow for better reforging, as not as much haste will be needed to reach 1.66, but will that increase in stats make up for the loss?

I'd say it's a buff most likely.
    The reduced cast time might also make higher softcaps attainable.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    my guess would be it impacts reforging in some way, shape or form. How exactly, I am not yet sure.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    I'd say it's a buff most likely.
    The reduced cast time might also make higher softcaps attainable.
    Thats what I was thinking. Assuming I get the 4p, that would bring my CS down to a 1.44 cast time, which I admit, is pretty nice. Not much higher than what I hit with Rapid Fire up. I'm not a number cruncher, but could this make haste a much more desirable stat? This may be why they reverted the cobra/steady shot change.

Quote Originally Posted by Aettis View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. Assuming I get the 4p, that would bring my CS down to a 1.44 cast time, which I admit, is pretty nice. Not much higher than what I hit with Rapid Fire up. I'm not a number cruncher, but could this make haste a much more desirable stat? This may be why they reverted the cobra/steady shot change.
    That change was reverted because it wasn't working... they're still trying to get it to work :P
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    That change was reverted because it wasn't working... they're still trying to get it to work :P
    Ah, guess that makes sense. THought this was their band-aid for that. xD

You never know, this could be the start of them doing that "remodeling" of haste they mentioned to make it a more valuable stat.

Tier changes before class changes, fuck yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't this effectivly make RF/Haste CD's pointless as CS is stoo fast? I can't remember, but i read somewhere that if you got your haste (i.e cast time) to low (<1.1?) ((I.e stacking RF/Haste Pot/Hero)) then you were effectivly loosing dps. But as I said, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gef View Post
    Tier changes before class changes, fuck yeah.
    >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Wouldn't this effectivly make RF/Haste CD's pointless as CS is stoo fast? I can't remember, but i read somewhere that if you got your haste (i.e cast time) to low (<1.1?) ((I.e stacking RF/Haste Pot/Hero)) then you were effectivly loosing dps. But as I said, I could be wrong.
    I dont think so. That doesn't make sense to me. At least pre-Cata, I always read to pop haste CDs at the same time for max autoshots. I don't see how a shorter cast time on CS/SS would be a DPS loss...faster CS=less time casting=faster shots=faster focus regen=more arcane shots, or at least thats my logic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think so. That doesn't make sense to me. At least pre-Cata, I always read to pop haste CDs at the same time for max autoshots. I don't see how a shorter cast time on CS/SS would be a DPS loss...faster CS=less time casting=faster shots=faster focus regen=more arcane shots, or at least thats my logic.
    From http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...3-Build-guides

A note on cooldown stacking: It’s good to stack as many attack power/agility/etc cooldowns and 1 haste cooldown; stacking multiple haste cooldowns often brings Steady Shot to under 1 second, which is a waste of haste. You’re better off spacing haste cooldowns (Berserking, Rapid Fire, Bloodlust) out.

Clarification would be awesome-sauce

15+ Year Old Account
    It is abit better than the previous set bonus, however with to much Focus Regeneration it will be abit harder to keep track of the rotation in a way you want to do it. Basicly it feels like they are making us use Cobra Shot less.

A better set bonus would be something like reducing cooldown on Kill Command by 3 seconds (for Beast Mastery) and Chimera Shot and Explosive Shot by 1 seconds or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I've literally re-forged anything I can get haste from (Yes, I'm hitcapped) so that I can cast faster and spam explosive shot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    From http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...3-Build-guides

A note on cooldown stacking: It’s good to stack as many attack power/agility/etc cooldowns and 1 haste cooldown; stacking multiple haste cooldowns often brings Steady Shot to under 1 second, which is a waste of haste. You’re better off spacing haste cooldowns (Berserking, Rapid Fire, Bloodlust) out.

Clarification would be awesome-sauce
    Bah I wish I remember where I read this...but someplace it said that though your SS/CS will be under 1 second(making you think you're losing DPS), the amount of autoshots being fired during that stacked haste outweighs that loss. But like I said, this was pre-Cata. However, thats only under 1s. I would think getting to that cap would be quite the dps gain.

I'm confused by this change. The original 4 piece was pretty terrible, but this hardly seems better, assuming you're at the painfully easy to obtain softcap.

A better set bonus would be something like reducing cooldown on Kill Command by 3 seconds (for Beast Mastery) and Chimera Shot and Explosive Shot by 1 seconds or something.
    I like this idea more, even if the numbers are questionable (3 seconds of KC would be silly). Do something involving the signature shots, rather than giving redundant bonuses to the boring 'filler' shots.

I personally think people vastly undervalue the power of this setbonus buff. It's now possible to get enough haste to squeeze four cobra shots between each Explosive Shot with this set bonus, even accounting for latency. That is nothing to shake a stick at.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepitobenito View Post
    I like this idea more, even if the numbers are questionable (3 seconds of KC would be silly). Do something involving the signature shots, rather than giving redundant bonuses to the boring 'filler' shots.
    Maybe not 3 seconds I am still having the thought of Kill Command having a long CD which it doesn't ;P so maybe 0.5 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I personally think people vastly undervalue the power of this setbonus buff. It's now possible to get enough haste to squeeze four cobra shots between each Explosive Shot with this set bonus, even accounting for latency. That is nothing to shake a stick at.
    While this is true. Remember em saying, we want to make haste more attractive.
    The way i see it, this makes haste even worse. Like, the bonus makes you absolutely hate haste, if u cant get to 4 shots between explosive.

I'm a bit confused myself. In my eyes it looked like shit since you can get alot of haste already and that it's not a high prio stat. Ppl who say that the 4 set is crap, how are u thinking then? I got a 621 dps increase with the set bonus (have 3 ATM and getting the head (4th) would give me that increase)
    The first nerf did cut the increase with ~150 dps. It should be around -100 in latest patch, still a significant dps boost. Not really sure how ppl can say that 500 dps is crap

I still would like to see some numbers before I say anything but ATM I don't like it
    Last edited by centrius; 2011-01-15 at 07:44 AM.