Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Rift, how long will it last??

Rift the upcoming mmo this march. Everyone has been saying that it is really good and that it has the potential of beating wow. But wait look at Aion and Conan and FF mmo >.> they didn't last long. So the question here is how long do you think rift will last???

Edit: what i mean by how long it will last is popularity. So how long would rift last in popularity?
    Last edited by darkalumina; 2011-01-15 at 09:18 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well Dark, keep in mind that Aion is still going. Fuck, EQ is still going and it's really old and so is Lineage (Both). If you are asking how long it'll be popular like Aion was at first, then less than a year. Sorry to the anti-wow fanboys, but even if WoW is not the best MMO, no game out there can take their playerbase, not even Aion could and that game had a LOT of hype.

10+ Year Old Account
    I should specifically say popularity wise lol

15+ Year Old Account
    It will fail just like every other MMO.
    Well maybe not fail, but it wont be the new shit.

Also
    Star trek, DC uiverse and SWTOR is released very close to Rift release. Im pretty sure not everyone that want to start a new MMO will select the same one.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

I think there just won't be any room for RIFT. With Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars: TOR coming, there's really no chance that this little MMO can slip in and steal away a ton of subs. Even if RIFT ends up being better, GW2 and TOR, especially TOR, have the advantage of being established franchises. I need not explain Star Wars (or BioWare's power in the gaming industry), but Guild Wars at one point was rivaling WoW in number of subs, and has always presented a very polished, fun game. GW2 also has the HUGE appeal of having no subscription fees.

I won't be buying any of those three games at release though. I've learned that it's never a good idea. Better to wait a few weeks, see what the reviews say. Sure, you may not be on the cutting edge of progression, but if it's a game you don't like (as many people who bought Aion, WAR, Age of Conan, etc. learned), you're saving yourself a lot of money.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't understand that people think that Rift is the real risk to WoW. Please just watch some gameplay from Guildwars 2, that's something blizzard is going to have problems with to shake away. It's free to play if I'm not wrong and its graphic is just epic.. pure epic..
    Rift will last like Aion, 2 weeks and bye bye aion, welcome back WoW x]

10+ Year Old Account
    Warsaw, Poland, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way
    Well, the only thing that made all the "wow killers" fail was the lack of polish. You level, you level, and then you get into endgame, which is either unfinished, bugged, or nonexistent. Rift is advertised to be polished at launch, I heard good things about it from the people who play the beta...
    It's really difficult to predict.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze148 View Post
    One cannot simply walk into Mulgore...

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea of rifts opening anywhere sounds good in theory, yet I haven't seen it in action. How fun will Rift combat be after a month or two? I'm going to wait for third-party game footage.

Also, the art direction is pretty generic. I like detailed graphics, but stylized graphics are even better.

Yawn. I played the beta and it's another clone and like most clones it's linear as hell. Boring.

GW2 is the only "MMO" that's going to rival WoW and that's because GW already has a reputation and a strong community. These two games can easily co-exist without either one seeing any doom. I played WoW and GW for a while because you can take a break from each one and play the other and get a very different feel. It's hard to take a break from WoW to play another MMO because, well, it feels like WoW. This is RIFT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people care? I don't get it, really?
    Just play what you like to play...

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    The idea of rifts opening anywhere sounds good in theory, yet I haven't seen it in action. How fun will Rift combat be after a month or two? I'm going to wait for third-party game footage.
    About as fun as it would be doing the same single heroic every 15 minutes.

Rift isn't dynamic content like it is advertised. It's just a marketing scheme.

Never heard of Rift. DC Universe looks semi interesting, but I'm not a DC fan. I personally am looking forward to SWTOR.

There is one big issue that keeps Rift above the other 'contenders'. Aion had a lot of hype and potential but the game was insanely buggy and glitchy.

Rift is still in beta testing and I have to honestly say, it is one of the most smooth running games ever. By far THE most smooth running beta ever.

I think rift has a lot of potential soo

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post

Also, the art direction is pretty generic. I like detailed graphics, but stylized graphics are even better.

there are already 3rd party game footage. just youtube "rift beta". the NDA was lifted and a lot of people have been putting up review and general in game videos

Rift has something WoW lost a long time ago, epicness. You don't think "wow... this was sick!". That's what I thought when that thing came down from the sky in the Rift-video. That's what I think about alot of things, but not even close to World of Warcraft. Blizzards response to that would be: "We could do that but due to the outdated graphics engine we can't." - "Why can't you update the graphics engine?" - "We are aware of this issue and are currently looking into it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier10101
    Yep, humans went around in those days casting balls of nature and stars at each other, and healing each other on the battlefield with thrown leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    It will fail just like every other MMO.
    Well maybe not fail, but it wont be the new shit.

Also
    Star trek, DC uiverse and SWTOR is released very close to Rift release. Im pretty sure not everyone that want to start a new MMO will select the same one.

What the heck you talking about. Star Trek has been out for close to a year if not a year. DC is a completely different style game (that is doing poorly mind you) and we will be lucky to see SWTOR released this year...hell id be surprised beta starts this year. I will play rift to just bide time for SWTOR. Wow is just boring has hell atm. Also from beta Rift is amazingly polished...i have played a lot of betas (2 wow betas, Star Trek, Champions Online and so on) Rift is just amazing. It plays as well if not better than Cataclysm did in beta, albeit some souls are really over powered right now but thats always the case and that just takes balancing. I am excited for it and i will most likely be a day 1 adopter.

Big thing people need to understand.

The people behind Rift are actually smart, they aren't attempting to make a 'brand new' mmo completely different from the others. The approach they are doing is instead, taking all the good ideas differernt MMOs have had and putting them into effect in 1 game.

Even terrible games like aion had good ideas just poor execution. Wow has them too. This game will combine all those good traits and rework them into a new story and new game.

Deleted
    The answer is short and simple, it wont last.

Its like the people who thought COD4 was the best shooter ever, you play lots of other shooters but none will ever give you that buzz again. thanks to wow mmo's will always be missing something.

I don't know how great it will be or how long it will last, but just like every other MMO that comes out, I will try it.

The only problem I have with other MMO's is not if they are better/worse than WoW. It's the time I have invested in WoW. I get the same feeling when I log over to my Warrior tank alt from my Paladin tank main, So much work has gone into making my main the best he can be, achievs/titles/gear/UI/etc that I just feel like I'm giving up my Mansion on the beach for an identical Mansion in the process of being built on another beach.

Same thing applies to other time sink type of games. Starting over = initial thrill and then MEH.

As long as the other MMORPGs that came and went.