Thread: "Rift"

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Rift"

So as i'm sure some of you have noticed -Via the somewhat more than numerous amount of times the add's been splashed on the front add banner-Trion is making a game called "Rift".
    An MMO.
    A Next-Gen MMO.
    And,To quote the add,one that's "....not in azeroth anymore".
    I have to admit it even as a WoW-whore it peaked my interest just a little.
    I'm just wondering what you guys think of it and of its clearly "It's shootin time" stance towards WoW.
    Shall it fail miserably or -Bias'es aside-would you consider it a good contender for the next game known mostly for the fact that maayyyybbbee one or two or five people died from malnutrition while playing it.

It should say "not in Azeroth anymore, but a strangely similar ripoff of it".

It will fail - the problem is that they dont have sexy blood elfs.
    ghetto cancer

as with most MMO's that try and go up against blizzard and wow, i'm sure this game will die off like any other MMO... which is sad, cause it looks kick ass, although me mate in the beta says it horrible, and will take few more years of fixing before it's even well-playable :l

I spent a few minutes on the site and the best I can come up with is "meh" and a shrug, if that tells you anything.

Rift doesn't look to bad actually, looks playable. Imo the reason most mmo-fails is because they refuse to allow free 10-day trial for normally a year or two after release. People who are curious are most likely unwilling to pay for a mmo without trying it themselves.
    These new mmo would go alot further if they did that.

To tell you the truth - i think mmos will die out soon, i am feeling the "stale" of this game now, even with all the new content, its just getting repetative.
    ghetto cancer

How is this "next gen" and not "same gen and like the rest of them"?

Quote Originally Posted by nightnox View Post
    To tell you the truth - i think mmos will die out soon, i am feeling the "stale" of this game now, even with all the new content, its just getting repetative.
    It's not so much MMos as much as it is the whole fantasy world setting with the orcs and humans and dragons and dwarves and elves and etc etc etc. It's pretty much been milked as much as it can be milked. Blizzard just manages to throw in twists to it to keep it relatively interesting but after all these years, feeling the burn out.

If only we had some sort of MMO shooter game or a sci fi type MMO with Blizzard's quality.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Theracen View Post
    So as i'm sure some of you have noticed -Via the somewhat more than numerous amount of times the add's been splashed on the front add banner-Trion is making a game called "Rift".
    An MMO.
    A Next-Gen MMO.
    And,To quote the add,one that's "....not in azeroth anymore".
    I have to admit it even as a WoW-whore it peaked my interest just a little.
    I'm just wondering what you guys think if it and of its clearly "It's shootin time" stance towards WoW.
    Shall it fail miserably or -Bias'es aside-would you consider it a good contender for the next game known mostly for the fact that maayyyybbbee one or two or five people died from malnutrition while playing it.

Rift
    It's a pretty stunning looking game. It really does look like a next-gen mmo. I have participated in their VIP weekends and other beta events and I can say this game probably comes closest to the level of polish seen in Blizzard products. Having said so, it has a mountain of issues that it must surpass before it can give WoW any stiff competition.

*FPS issues/ Performance issues: I am not sure if this is a fault that exists in the beta client or the actual engine, but RIFT is very prone to fatal errors/extreme "chugging"/and overheats your GPU card at a abnormal rate. I have a very high end computer (that can run Aion/Starcraft 2/Black Ops/Most new releases at top graphics settings) and RIFT seems to lag the shit out of it. From having a read of the forums/technical support it seems this is a feature shared by a lot of beta players (NOTE this is the BETA client i am talking about so it may be completely fixed by retail)

*Terrible terrible balance: One of the good things about RIFT is also turning into its biggest nightmare: Class and Soul balancing. From the looks of recent patches and hotfixes I can say that the RIFT development team really dropped the ball on this one. It almost seems they are relunctant to tone down some the spells or seem unaware of how the changes affect the overall metagame.

*Bland: Now don't get me wrong, RIFT is a gorgeous looking game but there's something rather bland... rather soul-less about RIFT that would probably mean I won't buy the retail. The only reason WoW is starting to look so bland is the out dated graphics engine and the fact that i've been playing for nearly 4-5 years (although i gotta admit Deepholm was just... amazing). This is something most people probably should disregard as it is , heavily, a personal thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I read, this thing is a polished beta. It's been in development for 5 years and the forums I have read say it shows. People that hate on this should remember: compitition is a really good thing. If it is a good game, then gamers may rejoice becuase they have a new game, and plain ol' wow fanboi's may rejoice because wow will either get better or get cheaper. I for one will be trying it out. The more video games I can get ahold of, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by nightnox View Post
    It will fail - the problem is that they dont have sexy blood elfs.
    Ehm.....hurrm.....Sorry ,i seem to have come down with a bit of a cough.

Joking aside,You do actually have a point their,Somewhere....
    It being that WoW hands down is the most sexualized mmo i've ever come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorise View Post
    If only we had some sort of MMO shooter game with Blizzard's quality.....
    Planetside fits that! Minus the quality bit.

On Rift: All I've heard about it is it looks good. Graphics != fun game, so obviously it sucks if all people can say is it looks pretty.

I"ve been in on one of the betas, it's alright, nothing to write home about.

They are charging the same monthly fee as WoW, which is an established MMO, but the game itself isn't really on par. I didn't play all that long, my interest was peaked and wanned in the matter of 10 levels. The game play is overwhelming at times and there is a ton of information to learn, far more than WoW. I don't see it being an easy game for new a MMOer to jump into and if I hadn't played WoW before I would have un-installed it shortly after I started it up.

They do have professions, but they were clunky and appeared to require a lot more to achieve.
    They have talent trees but and specializations, but I was getting new spells all over the place to the point I started to run out of bar spaces; you learn abilities too quickly and aren't given a chance to understand them before a new ability comes along. You get three specializations, and you are required to put a certain number of points in all trees before you can move farther into any one tree.
    The characters movement is extremely awkward - This is a big deal for me because I want it to be fluid and look good, to me they just looked wrong.

The graphics weren't bad. They could have been better, but they weren't bad and they utilized a WoW-esque interface. But as someone said above, they utilized a lot of WoW-esque interfaces and ideas... But WoW ripped other people off.

For ME it wasn't different enough from WoW, in enough ways to make me want to strike up another subscription and learn a clunky, complicated experience. People who thrive on MMOs and such might find it more enjoyable, but for a person who doesn't play too many games, it's just not that fun.

I don't know if it's going to have any serious staying power, but if it remains overly complicated/clunky, they won't be able to draw in enough players to build a solid competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    I see people type out druid(s) as "dudu." So, my class is now reduced to a pile of crap (doo doo)? What?

Quote Originally Posted by Colbor View Post
    It should say "not in Azeroth anymore, but a strangely similar ripoff of it".
    This. Everyone in the beta has been calling it a WoW ripoff and lacking polish.

Why is this game getting any attention when much better MMOs are coming out?

10+ Year Old Account
    You honestly think you're going to get a response from a bunch of blizzard fanbois on a site dedicated to WoW? Geez, by making this thread you walked right into a death trap. You should realise by now anything that doesn't have a Blizzard name tag is redeemed shit... instantly.

Anyways, the ad did what it was supposed to do... get attention, so bravo to those who fell into the marketing scheme. Besides the point, i've been in all betas for rift so far and quite frankly I am pleased with how polished the game was at such an early stage of beta. Everything is new yet familiar, it's taken everything good from all the MMO's and polished them up to be a contender for a great game. There is so much to do, and so much going on that it makes the world instantly come alive. The Rifts are what Warhammers PQ's should've been, and not just the rifts but most elite mobs or hard quests require group play which makes me happy. Nothing is easy, and so far from the events i've taken part in, quite hectic but overall worth it. Frankly, it's hard to log into WoW anymore after playing the Betas for Rift. I find myself constantly going to the log-in screen only to log off. I love WoW, but i'm most likely going to quit the game for Rift and that's coming from someone who's played WoW since release. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Norlamin; 2011-01-16 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakho View Post
    This. Everyone in the beta has been calling it a WoW ripoff and lacking polish.

Why is this game getting any attention when much better MMOs are coming out?
    Because after ten years of blizzard,Your attention to the company wanes a 'slight' bit.

---------- Post added 2011-01-16 at 07:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Norlamin View Post
    You honestly think you're going to get a response from a bunch of blizzard fanbois on a site dedicated to WoW? Geez, by making this thread you walked right into a death trap. You should realise by now anything that doesn't have a Blizzard name tag is redeemed shit... instantly.

Anyways, the ad did what it was supposed to do... get attention, so bravo to those who fell into the marketing scheme. Besides the point, i've been in all betas for rift so far and quite frankly I am pleased with how polished the game is in such an early stage of beta. Everything is new yet familiar, it's taken everything good from all the MMO's and polished them up to be a contender for a great game. There is so much to do, and so much going on that it makes the world instantly come alive. The Rifts are what Warhammers PQ's should've been, and not just the rifts but most elite mobs or hard quests require group play which makes me happy. Nothing is easy, and so far from the events i've taken part in, quite hectic but overall worth it. Frankly, it's hard to log in to WoW anymore after playing the Betas for Rift. I find myself constantly going to the log-in screen only to log off. I love WoW, but i'm most likely going to quit the game for Rift and that's coming from someone who's played WoW since release. Just my two cents.
    You eh did read those words above you yeh? ,Bar one or two i'de consider the replies fairly honest and ,Here cometh my turn,A good bit less ass-holey than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Theracen View Post
    Because after ten years of blizzard,Your attention to the company wanes a 'slight' bit.
    I mean in comparison to big titles like SW: The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2, games from established franchises and developers. Bioware has yet to make a truly bad game, and ArenaNet's Guild Wars was a huge success, and shows they know how to make an MMO.

Also, neither of those games are WoW clones in any respect.

When I first saw it I got my hopes up that it was Rifts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts_(role-playing_game) But...it's not.

Surprised whoever owns Rifts isn't going after them for the name...

It's not Next-Gen anything.

It's Warhammer meets AoC using Warhammers crappy Gamebryo engine.

SWtoR is something to keep your eye on though...