Thread: impatience

10+ Year Old Account

impatience

so tonight i was listening to a friend of mine telling me a horror story of a LFD heroic he ran. he told me of 3 tanks rage quitting after 1 wipe each so that got me to thinking and i think ive come up with a theory about why we have players like that now. I began to think it was because of they are the younger generation that grew up playing playstation and xbox and have no patience in video games.

when i was growing up we had Nintendo. back then games were 90% trial and error and you had repercussions for dieing (i.e. starting the whole game over) and actually beating a game gave a great sense of accomplishment. in the newer gen games its all fast and spoon fed and easy. you have unlimited continues you have checkpoints or you just cant die at all. witch breeds impatience for any kind of setbacks in games. were games back then frustrating? hell yes they were but remember how great you felt the first time you beat that stage or killed that troublesome boss? nowadays players kill bosses in games and dont even realize it was a boss until they get an achievement.

So the gist is a lot of they younger players have moved over to wow and just want to go go go kill kill kill without having to be bothered with learning how to do it. It really saddens me as they are basically robbing themselves of a rewarding play experience and just playing a game for the glamor of having shiny armor as easy as possible.

so some of the older generation what were some of you more memorable play experiences that you felt really accomplished to have achieved? (its doesn't have to be in wow but any game you loved/hated)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 19 years old, and I bet I have more patience than anyone you've ever met.

There are always exceptions

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gwynnith View Post
    so some of the older generation what were some of you more memorable play experiences that you felt really accomplished to have achieved? (its doesn't have to be in wow but any game you loved/hated)
    Learning to play Qbert on Atari with my feet. Really, really well.
    "Brevity is...wit"

This brings FF1 to mind lol
    Quote Originally Posted by rofltroll
    You told her no!?! To friends with benefits!?!

Son, I am disappoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher0 View Post
    I'm 19 years old, and I bet I have more patience than anyone you've ever met.

There are always exceptions
    dont take what i said personally just cause you are young. i was speaking of the impatient ones in wow.and rage quit. im not saying all younger folks lack patience.

and editing to add my memory. i remember takeing 2 weeks to learn that damn rocket sled stage in battletoads just so i could go to my friends' house and show them i could beat it.

finally - FINALLY - beating ocarina of time when I was 14. I started that game just a couple months after I turned 13! I had to have help from some friends of mine but we bonded and when we finally beat Ganon's ass it was just so amazing.

That game was DIFFICULT. Even when I go back to play it again I find it difficult. A Link to the Past is also really hard...
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

I definitely agree for the most part. There are always exceptions like Cypher0. I also blame a lot of it on the LFD while a great tool, it has killed a lot of the community in the sense of accountability. If everyone kicked joeschmoe cause he sucked REALLY bad, jenkins style even; he gets a buff where he cannot be kicked for awhile. There is no accountabilty, just move on to the next. Before the LFD tool, if you were a moron and a complete asshat, you were blacklisted by a majority of the server. Im not QQing oer the good old days, there were still trolls, and asshats, but it has definitely grown in proportion.

I would have to say the original Might and Magic game that came out.

15+ Year Old Account
    ocarina of time instantly comes to mind, the forest temple and water temple were like WTF when i was 11.

10+ Year Old Account
    Majora's Mask...the couples mask. Hell, even in Twilight Princess and that 100 level dungeon in the desert. That takes some patience.

I agree a bit, I have run into a few tanks who aren't willing to tolerate anything but a smooth run. No trial and error what so ever. Not always the impatient though, there are plenty of elitists as well.

Deleted
    i agree warcraft keeps on being redesigned & dumbed down to cater for these types of weak minded mentalitys
    Last edited by mmoc43238c78a1; 2011-01-16 at 11:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quotidian View Post
    Hell, even in Twilight Princess and that 100 level dungeon in the desert. That takes some patience.
    I 1-shot that, but I came prepared with 2 bottled fairies, full ammo for everything, two potions of some sort, and I knew what to expect via strategy guide

On topic: Yeah, games these days are a bit too easy. I've been playing the original super mario bros lately. You know what happened when we die? BACK TO START, YOU BADDIE. L2P!

Edit: OH! I also had a full wallet and the armor that makes you invincible!
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Deleted
    Generalization across the board as usual.

I have gotten to know kids that were patient and willing to work for items they wanted more than any adult.
    I had 40 year olds that wouldn't want to extend 25ICC IDs so that we could progress because they said "DBW will increase my dps by 40-50%" which was of course bullshit. They would stop doing good work once the boss was down and the trinket didnt drop. I have gotten to know adults to sabotage raids because they didn't want to continue and blame it on tanks that were taking too much dmg and dps being to low just because they had to heal one boss in that instance instead of doing 1 2 3 3 3 1 2 3 3 3 rotation.

On average its the adults that do not have the nerve to work with people that are incompetent. Adults reach a standard and cry out loud if that standard is merely scratched while actual kids (<15 years) enjoy the game and arent "in for the purpelz". Of course they WANT but they will take the hit and try again some other time while adults rage around a lot more often and much more intensely.

It doesnt have to do with "old games needed you to X". Old games were singleplayer. I dare you to compare the singleplayer raging nobody noticed to the online raging. Controllers being thrown to the floor, shouting at the television, cursing for the bad AI running into the enemy and failing the mission for the millionth time..

If tanks rage quit because of wipes they simply do not agree to deal with the group weather it was their fault or their own. Doesnt make them kids, god no. It makes them what people would be like without consequences. If you could just go into a shop and take anything and steal it and people wouldnt do anything even if they noticed you might do it. People say "60 dollars for a haircut is too much". Well lets put it into perspective. They work about 40-60 minutes on your head. They also pay the rent, heating, water and so on so they dont make 60 dollars profit off your head they make much less. And they have to make up for days where they cant work nonstop. But no! 60 dollars is too much! (ok 60 dollars in the US might be too much I live in Switzerland so the numbers seem high to you).
    Its the egoism that makes people demand more than they work for and thats a disease many people have and its even worse on the nets where you can treat others like trash without any consequences.

Not that Im not pro-trashing people. I think its wonderful to have a place where you can act like a pig once in a while. There must be zones where verbal abuse is ok. I cant just go to my neighbor and hit him with the pitchfork like it was a few hundred years back. I cant even start a fight at school anymore without people calling a psychiatrist etc. When I was a kid a schoolfight was NORMAL and thats only 15 years back. There was a discussion between the parents and the teacher and that was it. Now the parents have to visit counseling and the kid has to visit the psychiatrist 3 times a week to "deal with the issues". Fuck! It was dealing with the issues fine! If a kid is being cruel to another kid (socially, verbally) then the first kid just hit the other kid in the face and it was fine. There is nothing wrong with that.

So if there is anything to blame its people increasingly misunderstanding the world. "Oh I have a degree in psychology I know these things".. yeah and yet you fail to say "dont worry kids fight eachother from time to time its natural".
    So in the end ragequitting is letting off steam on random people. You must learn that its not directed at you for any reason but that you were in the line of sight. You dont suffer from it so accept that wow is an outlet. If you want to avoid this because you cant deal with it then do not use the "rnd outlet tool"

Deleted
    im generally quite impatiant (i dont use lfd tool), but i probably fall into the older players catagory, so heres a few games i used to play that were pretty ruthless if u died

R-type (pretty much any version)
    hellfire
    parodius
    faxanadu

Battletoads, I shall say no more

I'd consider myself an exception here. I'm only 16 but I think I'm very patient. The only time I left a dungeon still in progress out of impatience was the last boss in Heroic Grim Batol. We wiped on that guy a dozen times swapping in DPS after DPS - the tank and the healer were adamant about staying. I, however, got pretty bored and tired of dying for the same reasons (and maybe felt I wasn't doing as much DPS as I should've been). So I wished them luck and left.

I'm used to wiping. I've done raids and I know how progression works. Just takes practice. I agree that it's sad to see people so impatient. Especially if those people are tanks who get instaqueues. Maybe I'm patient because I don't want to wait in another 40 minute queue? Maybe. But at least I'm patient to wait that 40 minutes and about the same time spent in the dungeon.

I remember I was in a group with someone from my guild as the tank. She wanted me to kick this druid who had recently joined our party. However, I felt it unfair and talked her out of it. Sure enough, we beat the boss the next try.

I can be patient with people who mess up. However, I can't tolerate stupidity or elitist attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanon View Post
    Battletoads, I shall say no more
    Nom Nom Battle Toads. Actually, any side-scrolling fighter for that matter.

Thanks to Amalisa for this great Sig!

I don't really agree with the OP. You really have to look at gaming subculture to understand this topic. Games today are made for more than just hardcore gamers, they're made for all types of gamers and the types of games being made reflect that.

The truth is, there are more casual games made today than there are hardcore games, simply because casual gamers outnumber the hardcore gamers. That doesn't mean that the entire generation has been spoiled though. You see gamers today being impatient because you're looking at the majority. Hardcore gamers are certainly in the minority these days, but that doesn't mean their numbers have decreased.

The number of casual gamers has gone up due to game companies marketing to a wider audience. The hardcore gamers are still there, in roughly the same number as they were before. Here's an example: Let's say that 15 years ago there was 100 hardcore gamers, (random number I made up to make a point) these days those 100 hardcore gamers are still there. Now though, there's also 1000 casual gamers, thus the majority has shifted.

Hardcore games and gamers still very much exist though, and I can prove it. I started playing video games back in the early days of the super nintendo. I still fondly remember super Mario world. Of all the hundreds of games i've played over the years though, the absolute most difficult one is for the xbox 360 and PS3.

Until the day I die I highly doubt I will ever play a more difficult game than Ninja Gaiden 2. Entire Halo series on legendary? Yep beat that. Gears of war series on insane? Beat that too. God of war series on god/titan/chaos? Beat that. Super Mario world, Mario 64, Donkey Kong country series? Yep, yep, and yes. Ocarina of time in under 10 hours, how about Link to the past? Double yep.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is on a completely different level from those other games. Easy mode on that game feels like the hard mode of many other games. Normal mode may make you scream in frustration at certain points. Hard mode is like 100 steps up from normal mode. It's like the difference between naxx 2.0, and heroic LK.

On hard mode, I got to mission 4, never beat it, even after weeks of facebeating. I was stuck on one impossibly difficult fight. I died over 400 times in 4 hours of trying this fight, and I tried it for weeks. This is an "optional" fight called the test of valor. If you do not complete it, you will lack critical items later in the game, and you will be stonewalled on the third to the last boss.

The fight is something like this. It's 40 minutes of constant concentration. There are no checkpoints, and healing is extremely limited. You start off surrounded on all sides by constantly spawning enemies. Enemy attacks range from stuns, to extreme damage, to one hit kills. All attacks can be dodged if you know how, some can be blocked. There are two types of enemies, ranged caster guys, and normal guys. Both have ranged and melee attacks. Enemies in this game are incredibly fast, and it can be difficult to predict what they'll do next, and even one small mistake will be greeted with instant death. How people actually manage to do this is beyond me, though I have seen videos of people doing it. I guess it just takes a better gamer than me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUrMS3JTZHQ
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-01-16 at 01:01 PM.

Deleted
    I'm 16 only and I'm quite patient. I ended up playing Mickies Wild Adventure on PS1 quite many times. (Always died on the lava level though)
    That game was crazy..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post

Ninja Gaiden 2 is on a completely different level from those other games. Easy mode on that game feels like the hard mode of many other games. Normal mode may make you scream in frustration at certain points. Hard mode is like 100 steps up from normal mode. It's like the difference between naxx 2.0, and heroic LK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUrMS3JTZHQ
    Actually i didnt find ninja gaiden 2 that bad. that only reason it was hard to me was cheap ass bugs in the game that made some attacks unblock-able. the first one was much harder and skill oriented and i beat that on hard even after watching my brother struggling on the pink chick for a month.

but on to my point is im not trying to say all impatient wow players are kids or its the games they plays fault. i was just stating this could be a contributing factor to it. another poster above did make me think of something else and that was the rege and frustration some of the older games caused and i cant count how many sega controllers i went through back in the day. i just guess now people are in public when they "throw their controller".