Changing my holy talents slightly

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place

I've seen EJ's talent guide and I've just been following talent guides in general

Right now this is my talent build: /wow/en/character/destromath/yen/talent/primary (Can't post links, its battle net)

2 body & soul, no desperate prayer, and no surge of light

What I was thinking was, would it be more efficient/viable to drop 1 in body and soul, leave desperate prayer at 0, drop 1 in "Rapid Renewal", and put 2 in surge of light?

Also, is it okay that I put 3 in darkness/2 in veiled shadows? I wasn't sure if I should max twin disciplines/test of faith; they seem like very good skills but I don't know where to get the points from. Another option would be -1 state of mind and +1 test of faith.

Any suggestions would be great, thank you!

Selecting talent as a healer is often based on the question "Do I want more mana, increased throughoutput or more tools?".

If you want to increase your healing, definitely max out Test of Faith and Twin Disciplines.

Veiled Shadows is nice, provided you use it to get a second shadowfiend on specific fights. If not, better spend those talent points elsewhere.

Body and Soul, Desperate Prayer, Surge of Light, State of Mind, Spirit of Redemption, Divine Touch and Rapid Renewal are all talents that add a little utility to some of your spells. Asking yourself questions like "How much do I use renew?", "Is casting Chakra a couple less times over the course of a fight worth the investment of two talent points?", "Do I make use of Body and Soul's bubble sprint?".

There is no right or wrong answer, as long as you picked all the mandatory talents

if anything drop one point of SoM and put it into test of faith. Vieled shadows is pretty useless in all honesty. if I'm not mistaken no fights last longer than ten minutes so you will see no true benefit from it.

It has been talked about and talked about, SoL is completely useless don't put points into it. SoR and DP are both up the air as far as usefulness goes but with the upcoming patch DP will be pretty decent again so you might want to put one in there and forget about of SoR all together.

So after skipping SoL, SoR and veiled shadows, you should max out both your disc talents and darkness, then place any leftover points in Blessed resilience.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiurwyn View Post
    if anything drop one point of SoM and put it into test of faith. Vieled shadows is pretty useless in all honesty. if I'm not mistaken no fights last longer than ten minutes so you will see no true benefit from it.

It has been talked about and talked about, SoL is completely useless don't put points into it. SoR and DP are both up the air as far as usefulness goes but with the upcoming patch DP will be pretty decent again so you might want to put one in there and forget about of SoR all together.

So after skipping SoL, SoR and veiled shadows, you should max out both your disc talents and darkness, then place any leftover points in Blessed resilience.
    Actually, you can get an extra Shadowfiend with Veiled Shadows in a 6 minutes fight by casting the first ~1 minute into the fight and the second ~5 minutes into the fight.

Surge of Light is sometimes useful, as it does give a couple of free Flash Heals per fight. The problem is that healing with a proc isn't very convenient, as procs can often get "wasted". Give it a try and decide if you like it or not. Keep in mind that SoL saves you mana when you use a Flash Heal proc, kinda like Resto Druids use Clearcasts to improve their mana efficiency.

Blessed Resilience is almost exclusively a pvp talent, I would stay away from it when speccing for PvE.

I wouldnt put a point in rapid renewal, it really doesnt seem like its worth it. With renew spam playstyle out, it just doesnt really serve a good purpse. I couldnt even really notcie a change in renew either way. just my two cents.

Blessed resilience > DP, SoR, SoL, and Veiled Shadows. In any boss encounter you take damage (Hint: All of them) it will be more than 10% of your health so you will get that buff nearly everytime a boss does an AoE or you get targeted by one of their abilities.

As far as a surge of light goes 6% is just way to low for it to be any kind of reliable. Both here and in EJ the math was done showing that you will get on average 2 PPM if you ONLY spam heal. I don't know about you but I rarely use heal in raids. With the way Holy priests are running any of our single target heals are pretty low on our priority so your actualy mileage with SoL will be next to nothing. The difference between SoL and clearcast is clearcast procs from any ability not just our least used heal.

Something like http://wowtal.com/#k=tYcsUZNP.aei.priest.-Rkof- should be your base spec. The last point you can put in either DP or BR and probably move the one point out of SoM when the next patch goes live.

Rapid Renewal IS a talent worth taking especially with the reduce cost to renew coming and the nerf to PoH. CoH will still have a CD and Mental Agility, plus Rapid Renewal,plus Divine Will Renew becomes a very powerful tool again. Not what it was before but still something you will use a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by sp101 View Post
    Blessed Resilience is almost exclusively a pvp talent, I would stay away from it when speccing for PvE.
    BR is actually a great talent to have for PvE. They hotfixed it a while back so it increases healing you receive by 15/30% - which for all raiding is amazing. That coupled with a Binding Heal can get you back to healing others faster, etc.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sp101 View Post
    Selecting talent as a healer is often based on the question "Do I want more mana, increased throughoutput or more tools?".

If you want to increase your healing, definitely max out Test of Faith and Twin Disciplines.

Veiled Shadows is nice, provided you use it to get a second shadowfiend on specific fights. If not, better spend those talent points elsewhere.

Body and Soul, Desperate Prayer, Surge of Light, State of Mind, Spirit of Redemption, Divine Touch and Rapid Renewal are all talents that add a little utility to some of your spells. Asking yourself questions like "How much do I use renew?", "Is casting Chakra a couple less times over the course of a fight worth the investment of two talent points?", "Do I make use of Body and Soul's bubble sprint?".

There is no right or wrong answer, as long as you picked all the mandatory talents
    Pretty much ended the thread right here. Your talents are completely up to you; they won't make or break you as long as you have the mandatory ones like Holy Concentration and Test of Faith.

If you want my opinion though, Rapid Renewal isn't really worth it. Here's my spec: http://wowtal.com/#k=tYcVs8ol.aei.priest.qyuVC-
    85 Priest/72 Druid/85 Mage/24 Shaman/56 Paladin

Deleted
    IMHO Rapid renewal is useless and Surge of Light has a habit of proccing for me when I really need it. With the SoL changes I've seen in the patch notes (Making it able to crit and proccing off FH and GH too) I think it will be much, much stronger.

http://wowtal.com/#k=tYcBaW1u.aei.priest.qyuVC- is my spec, Im cosidering going 1/2 Divine touch and 2/2 Body and Soul but other than that it suits me very well I'll probably leave 2/2 in Divine Touch because I think I read they're reducing the renew cost which sould make it our most efficient heal, so I'll cast it even more making this talent more potent

So you see yourself using renew more but a talent that takes 0.5 sec off the GCD when you use it would be worthless?

This reasoning doesn't make sense. Especially when you keep in mind more renews = less FH, Heal, and Gheal further diminishing an already useless talent (SoL). As it stands right now Renew is cheaper than FH, and once you get the 6th tick provides more base healing AND scales better.

On top of that having 1/2 SoM is mandatory right now if your raiding. that way there is little to no chance you will be out of a chakra state. with no points there will be no avoiding it which is definitely not going to help anyone.
    Last edited by Aiurwyn; 2011-01-18 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiurwyn View Post
    On top of that having 1/2 SoM is mandatory right now if your raiding. that way there is little to no chance you will be out of a chakra state. with no points there will be no avoiding it which is definitely not going to help anyone.
    SoM provides more flexibility as well. I.E. Chimeron it is optimal to have Serenity for healing while the bot is online but swap to Sanc when the bot is offline - which is easily doable if you pay attention to your current Chakra buff
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest