Does mastery have diminishing returns?

I'm barely dipped into raiding content, but I feel like I have a fairly decent amount of mastery. I'm sitting at 17.13 mastery, or 21% hots. The issue is, I FEEL (haven't actually analized it) that I'm getting less and less returns from mastery as it goes up. Is there a soft cap, hard cap, or DR on mastery for holy or any other spec for that matter? I remember dodge and parry had DR, so idk.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    No cap or DR on holy mastery no.

This is a good thread. I wish all threads were like this.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only DR it has is if it start turning into nothing more than overheal.

My stab in the dark for why you feel like there are DRs on your MST is because you start at 10% base. So, when you go from 5% MST on gear to 10% MST on gear, you may feel like your numbers should be double, when in actuality they have only increased by 25%.

Thanks for the replies. I was also confused because I saw some people mentioned there was a soft cap on mastery for disc, what's that all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Slutty View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was also confused because I saw some people mentioned there was a soft cap on mastery for disc, what's that all about?
    The soft cap is the 8 you get for free? IDK. No DR on mastery.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    The only way to "cap" mastery on disc is if you have so much mastery your DAs cap out. That doesn't really happen in practice as if you're tank healing they're generally stripped off so fast they can't stack and if you're raid healing POH stacks them so slowly you don't cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferin View Post
    The only way to "cap" mastery on disc is if you have so much mastery your DAs cap out. That doesn't really happen in practice as if you're tank healing they're generally stripped off so fast they can't stack and if you're raid healing POH stacks them so slowly you don't cap.
    ^ This.

Divine Aegis is restricted to 20% of the priest's HP. To be "Mastery Soft Capped" you'd have to either: have a silly low health pool, have silly high mastery, or both. To get mastery capped in T11 content non-heroic gear, your greater heal would need to crit for over 60k.

The concept of caps, be it hard or soft caps as well as DR is completely misinterpreted on most wow forums.

The idea of a hard cap is something that applies to a stat like hit, there is a benefit from the stat until some magic number at which point any more of that stat yields 0 return. Once you have enough hit to have 100% chance to hit you can plainly see gaining more hit does nothing for you.

Soft caps are usually applied to stats for which you gain a decent return until some magic number and after that point the stat is largely devalued but it will still have some return. Haste is a stat that you might consider to have a soft cap at 50% (the point which you reach the 1 sec GCD cap), so gaining more haste will yeild some return but it will be vastly devalued. However this isn't always the case, classes that cast spells well above the GCD cap (say a 3 sec fireball) will still gain significant returns past this point... this is sometimes where soft caps are very misleading.

DR (or diminishing returns) is applied to some stats in game, for example armor, dodge & parry suffer a nominal DR... that means that the begining number to reach some magic % starts needing more and more to gain the same % later on. For example 100 parry might give 1% parry but once you hit 10% parry you now need 150 (I just made those numbers up and the calc isn't ths simple, its for illustration only). Armor is considered to have DR but this is misleading because the effect of armor is linear, while the % mitigated seems to have DR the DR applied to armor is in direct proprotion to the exponential relationship with damage mitigation vs time to live. I won't go into it but at the end of the day adding 200 armor at any nominal amount of armor will have the same effect to your tanking performance.

Other DR is how stats affect your performance... for example, adding 1% crit from 10% to 11% has more of a DPS effect than adding 1% crit from 30% to 31%. So there is a performance diminishing return on adding more crit... haste has less of a diminishing return but that relationship still exists. As for mastery, depending on the mastery in question it likely has some form of DR in terms of output performance, be it damage or healing. But it will be a lot harder to calculate and I suggest you simply keep reading the info that is published on forums and use the knowledge you gain from multiple sources to make up your own mind.

My point of this post is to be very skeptical of people point out caps, soft caps, DR's etc... they are usually ill informed and don't actually post the correct information.

Great post Worshaka.