Elemental shaman and problem with mana

Hello,
    I'm here to ask if I'm doing something wrong, because my ele shammy (almost all 333 geared, with a couple of 346 and a couple of 312 greens) keeps going oom.
    The problem doesn't rise using particularly tough rotations, but the simple single target rotation: FS to keep dot up, then LB on cd, ES with 7+ charges and lightning bolt as a filler.
    If I try to push in it some chain lightnings and a pair of earthquakes, then my mana disappears almost instantly...
    Am i forgetting something? Should i switch continuously between LShield and WShield to try to keep mana up?

Once the greens are gone, you'll notice a sharp increase in mana regen, as Rolling Thunder is 2% of your MAXIMUM mana. I initially had problems in larger AOE situations in heroics, but it's worked itself out through gear progression. Don't be afraid to drink, it's gonna happen!

Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, though.

Deleted
    Make sure to use thunderstorm since it gives mana back. It will also depend on the spec that you use.
    Earthquake does consume massive amounts of mana and CL can get you OOM if you include it as a part of your rotation..

Avoid using CL...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jjga1984 View Post
    Make sure to use thunderstorm since it gives mana back. It will also depend on the spec that you use.
    Earthquake does consume massive amounts of mana and CL can get you OOM if you include it as a part of your rotation..

Avoid using CL...
    One correction: Do use Chain Lightning, but only if you're fighting three or more mobs at the same time. THe damage-per-mana output will be higher then just continuing to use Lightning Bolts. It's not worth casting on less targets, though!
    Also, avoid casting Earthquake at all costs... Its damage is already very low to begin with, it's Physical damage (Which gets reduced by Armor, of which Cata Elites seem to have a lot), and it costs a lot of mana. In fact, if possible, you may want to try a spec that completely refrains from picking Earthquake.

Glyph of Thunder and Glyph of Thunderstorm could help you out. If you are having mana problems on long fights, a 10% mana gain on a 35 sec cooldown could really trivialize the solution to your mana issues. This is of course if you don't already have/do this.

However, your problem here could as well be the couple of earthquakes you are tossing out. Using Chain Lightning in your rotation could very well compensate for the Earthquakes. I would say it would even put you in a better position. I reckon very few fights in the current 5-man Heroic Dungeons actually need you to use earthquake. From the top of my head I can only think of one fight where Earthquake is decent, and that would be on the first boss of Stonecore, killing the adds.

Perhaps I have misinterpreted your question, but you first specify that your mana issues rise during single target fights. At the same time you mention pushing out Earthquakes and chain lightnings. So forgive me if I have turned your question upside-down, but yeah. I are confus (I guess?)

Deleted
    Silly question but are you spec'd for Convection? if not i'd put 2 points in it. Also Glyph of Flameshock will reduce the amount of times you need to re cast in a fight which could help, but as others have said once your gear goes up you don't have many problems at all, make sure to keep thunderstorm on CD as it does provide a large amount of mana especially when glyphed.

Also remember you haven't got to earthquake every mob, first dungeon I went oom in was ToTT on Ozumat, earthquaking the Murlocs trying to attack Neptulon, let others AoE as well, it doesn't always have to be you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanics View Post
    Glyph of Thunder and Glyph of Thunderstorm could help you out. If you are having mana problems on long fights, a 10% mana gain on a 35 sec cooldown could really trivialize the solution to your mana issues. This is of course if you don't already have/do this.
    This helped me with ele mana issues. Upping your spirit (= hit) might also help a little.

I find earthquake useful in

a) dungeons you massively overgear / outlevel (i.e. you're running BC dungeons for achievs, tank pulls whole dungeon, earthquake is great there, true story) and
    b) questing, in certain circumstances.

At your level dungeons though, very limited usefulness. Still I wouldn't advocate switching it out from your spec entirely unless you're never in a situation like a) or b).

Oh, and you mention swapping LS for WS - nope, definitely don't. Just remember to use thunderstorm (get powerauras, that helped me) and drink between pulls. If you're not already specced for Ancestral Swiftness (insta Ghost Wolf), that can be a _great_ way of drinking but still staying with the group.
    Last edited by Ilam; 2011-01-18 at 02:39 AM. Reason: added a bit more

Deleted
    EQ is sorta required in raids... Maloriak, Halfus, Magmaw -- and that's not even them all.

Here's a little tip I stumbled over recently. Normally you will see a mana loss if you keep spamming CL, however if you glyph it, not only do you get 66% more attacks, but you also get a much higher rate of mastery procing. It leads to a situation where every time you CL a group of 5 targets or more you are very likely to get 8 strikes out of it. And since every single strike can proc rolling thunder you end up with a an average of 4-5 procs, which means you gain mana from using CL.

Edit: hmm, seems I might've done some hasty judgements. Unable to confirm that mastery procs can proc rolling thunder. But even without them at 5 strikes you get an average of 3 rolling thunder, which makes it more or less free.
    Last edited by Ares42; 2011-01-18 at 07:52 AM.