Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I can not really speak for holy as I mainly play as discipline, but as a priest it is really all about managing your shadowfiend, hymn of hope and trinket cooldowns (+arcane torrent if you're a blood elf). I recently killed Cho'gall while duo healing as discipline together with a resto druid, and the kill was insanely taxing on mana - only with perfect timing on shadowfiend did I manage to be able to nearly chaincast heals the full 8 minutes of the encounter.

In case you're interested in my playstyle, I frapsed the encounter and you can find it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJdxXhQH3-E

I've been healing for awhile and I've done 7/12 of the normal raid bosses so far.I heal with a spec that takes no smite talents, it's mostly like yours except I have strength of soul and train of thought. How is smite healing in raids? In heroics I never felt like I had the chance to use them so I didn't pick them up so how would smite fare? Do you not use smite at all in healing intensive encounters?

Also which should I use more, Inner fire or Inner will? Or does that depend on the raid boss?

Introducing the lightwell to your melees and tank keeps your job much easier. I have them at the point, were they start pulling after they found a lightwell on their spot and if not, they whisper until I place one. In addition with haste from heroism it has insane ticks and 5 extra charges from the glyph are nice to have. No other spell is able to heal over 400k for under 10k mana. We heal the first bosses in blackwing and bastion with two healers ( Druid mate and my holy gnome) and evev without ever having a heroism class in our guild, it's fun and challenge at the same time to heal.

Edit: inner will head the hell out of inner fire. Having each instant cast (pw:s, coh, pom, renew, holy nova, dispell, holy word, cleanse) for 3/4 of it's usual costs is awsome
    Last edited by Lulane; 2011-01-18 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    I've been healing for awhile and I've done 7/12 of the normal raid bosses so far.I heal with a spec that takes no smite talents, it's mostly like yours except I have strength of soul and train of thought. How is smite healing in raids? In heroics I never felt like I had the chance to use them so I didn't pick them up so how would smite fare? Do you not use smite at all in healing intensive encounters?

Also which should I use more, Inner fire or Inner will? Or does that depend on the raid boss?
    If the question was directed at me, I actually get to smite a fair bit. Atonement is a smart heal in the form of it will always hit the lowest hp in range. This makes it superior to any other heal in terms of throughput per mana if only the tank is taking damage, plus you build up archangel for mana return and a good chunk of increased healing for heavy heal periods. I wouldn't raid without it!

Any mana issues I have ever had seems to be my own fault. I think something a lot of healers struggle with is letting the other healers heal for a few seconds to get hymn going or just some regen in general. I always have to remind myself to slow down a bit and trust the other healers while I gain back some mana, most of it ends up in us sniping heals from eachother which does the raid no good. So since I've been forcing myself to stop casting for a few seconds and not worry as much about getting some mana back, I've been much lower on overheals and so have the other 2 healers I run with. I like to pop my hymn as I see our druid do his tranquility and pally seems to be spotting the tanks. No mana issues since my second raid

I don't get where all the Flash Heal hate is coming from.

Sure, it was a problem in 333 gear before the regen buff. But you're still at 40% Holy Concentration, and I'd hope by now you're not in 333 gear.

Depending on the fight, like Halfus for example, if someone is low and actually going to die, you use Flash Heal. That's all there is to it. Sure it's front end heavy, but as a Holy Priest, you get a "mail-in rebate" of sorts through Serendipity, which makes Flashx2->Greater have a higher HPM (and HPS, it is Flash afterall) than even two "efficient" Greaters, and the same can be true for Prayers.

Sure, one could point out "but I shouldn't need that Flash Heal, it's bad!" But so is letting people die, increasing your workload.

Realistically, I cast between 9 and 12 Flashes on a Progression fight, as we learn what's dangerous and what's not, and only 2 or 3 have Surge of Light.

The rest of it's pacing, 100%:
    carrying badages, knowing when to cast Hope, using Concentration potions, casting "Heal" on raid damage instead of other options, casting Heal on a tank to let your tank healer back off top end casts...

100% pacing. Flash Heal's not an enemy, you the healer are.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~