Mana tide mechanics for non-healing classes

Maybe I'm missing something, but I keep seeing references to it, so I wanted to get a clarification before I called anyone out on it. So for some reason a lot of people seem to think mana tide totem helps dps classes (mages, ele shaman, and spriests are the 3 specific classes I've seen referred to). Before 4.0 mana tide gave everyone mana. Now mana tide gives everyone spirit increase.

So the question is, is mana tide actually beneficial in regenerating mana for non-healing classes? I'm not too up-to-date on how mana regeneration works in combat, but according to my character sheet i have ~1200 mana regen in combat as elemental. Add to that things like blessing of might and replenishment, and it increases. Does that value come from spirit, and therefore mana tide increases my overall regen (slightly, but it's there) while it's down? as a hybrid caster spirit obviously translates to hit, so with mana tide down i go to ~97% hit, but does it affect my mana regen? All heal-y type classes get a passive stat (meditation) that allows 50% of their regen to work in combat, which is why spirit is good, but for classes without this (and for mages who dont even use spirit), does mana tide help them? I've not been able to test it on myself since i cant be ele and resto at the same time, but if anyone knows exactly how regen and mana tide affects it could respond, i'd appreciate it.

I may be missing something but it still confuses me when dps classes ask for mana tide or talk about how they were able to last longer because of the mana tides they got. are they still stuck in WotLK?

Deleted
    So the question is, is mana tide actually beneficial in regenerating mana for non-healing classes?
    nope.
    They dont have meditation

bom and replenishment regenerate mana, bom as mp5 and replenishment as a flat percentual value

If a dps class asks you to drop MTT then you need a new group/raid. They're not the kind of player that will help you succeed. Spirit is a regeneration stat. However, without Meditation (standard perk of being any healer), they'll never gain any significant in combat regen.

the only reason i brought it up was a thread (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ntal-vs-Magmaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyagaric View Post
    Mana didnt seem to be much of an issue..but then again having a resto sham there with mana tide really helped.
    where an elemental shaman seemed to think you got extra regen. we raid with 2 resto shamans so one group has shaman, 1-2 other healers, and 2 mages who thought they got some sort of benefit from it. I informed them they did not, we moved on.

The other resto shaman in the guild is awful, so I don't take anything he says to heart, but he was talking (mostly incorrect information the whole way) in a raid group I was in doing old content raids for guild achievements about benefits other classes get from mana tide (basically i asked why he was in a group with dps instead of the other healer, he believed everyone benefits from MTT).

So before I spoke out of turn, or called anyone out for being just out-right awful, I wanted to make sure I had my facts straight.

So slightly off topic, any idea where the numbers for combat regen come from? character sheet lists out of combat regen (I assumed based on spirit, but obviously wouldnt work as well for non-hybrid classes) and combat regen (again, mine is ~1200 without buffs). Is it based off a percentage of intellect, or a base amount per level, or what?