Page 1 of 2
LastLast

When Val'kyr resurrect people, do they willingly join the Forsaken?

I didn't really get this from the alliance perspective of Andorhal. Are they under Sylvanas' control like the Scourge, or do they have free will like the rest of the forsaken? I find it hard to believe that the farmer militia, whose farms have been attacked by the Forsaken, would immediately join them if they had free will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently reside in Japan, lived most of my life in Georgia, USA
    They have free will. Simply play the horde side of Silverpine questline and you will see this for a fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even on Horde side I am wondering this. Seems to be a bit of a join or you are boned thing. Something is up with Sylvannas, even a former Forsaken says that is true in Plaguelands. He joined the Argent Crusade to cure the plague. In fact I kind of remember from beta previews a quest where you have to basically mind control freshly raised dead to join the Forsaken... because they were like screw this killing me then raising me to be your slave thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Having played all of northern Eastern Kingdoms as Horde, the basic farmers definitely -do not- have free will.

An extremely powerful and willed person in life can retain that personality in death (e.g. Godfrey), but the basic farmers and random peasants definitely just were resurrected and yelled "For Sylvanas" and would easily die for her.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

[Spoiler]

Sylvanas stopped giving the raised free will after Godfrey shot her in the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

Boub has a time machine?!

The risen dead might have had free will pre Godfrey but she states that free will is a bad thing and it is fair clear in WPL that no one being raised has free will.

death opens up a lot of possibilities.

if you are raised from the dead, your former life will shun you and often persecute you.

the most logical thing to do would be ban together with others like you and try to eek out an un-living the best you could. bam, join the forsaken. i mean at least be happy they brought you back! you could just be dead forever, cuz that is totally fun. more often than not, when you see the other side of the coin you realize they arent that bad a dudes and learn to let stuff pass.

and this is only for those being who had a strong will. those who were weak in life will be weak in death. The peasants were too weak of mind and will and basically came back as mindless drones. In that sense, one could argue that they are no longer the same being.

The undead startup quests deal with the aspects of this morally really well, its worth playing an undead to level 20 or 25 just for the quests story

Quote Originally Posted by kangaskhan View Post

if you are raised from the dead, your former life will shun you and often persecute you.

the most logical thing to do would be ban together with others like you and try to eek out an un-living the best you could. bam, join the forsaken. i mean at least be happy they brought you back! you could just be dead forever, cuz that is totally fun. more often than not, when you see the other side of the coin you realize they arent that bad a dudes and learn to let stuff pass.

and this is only for those being who had a strong will. those who were weak in life will be weak in death. The peasants were too weak of mind and will and basically came back as mindless drones. In that sense, one could argue that they are no longer the same being.
    The only enemy of the Forsaken to be raised and has confirmed free will shot Sylvanas in the back of the head.

I don't think the "They all-of-a-sudden LOVE the Forsaken!" theory really makes sense.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

or go join the argent crusade who shelter all forsaken who denounced the bitch queen.
    there is even an apothecary working to nullify the forsaken plague.

That's pretty weak. Really not a big fan of the plot mechanic, which gets used a lot in fantasy, where main characters are exempt to things that happen to minor characters because they have "strong will " or whatnot. To me it's a really silly cop out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Since they naturally have free will in undeath (see Tirisfal), and the Val'kyr have the ability to control them (apparantley) It would appear that enemies raised in battle are at least temporarily mind controlled so that they are useful, however random people Sylvanas has raised from graveyards seem to be allowed to keep their free will.

what happens to enemy combatants AFTER the battle in regards to their free will has yet to be seen
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Deleted
    the most logical thing to do would be ban together with others like you and try to eek out an un-living the best you could. bam, join the forsaken. i mean at least be happy they brought you back!

Why do you think the Forsaken hate the Scourge and the Lich King? "Be happy the Lich King brought you back"? Why would anyone feel differently about the Forsaken after getting murdered and resurrected as zombies?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sscavenger View Post
    Even on Horde side I am wondering this. Seems to be a bit of a join or you are boned thing. Something is up with Sylvannas, even a former Forsaken says that is true in Plaguelands. He joined the Argent Crusade to cure the plague. In fact I kind of remember from beta previews a quest where you have to basically mind control freshly raised dead to join the Forsaken... because they were like screw this killing me then raising me to be your slave thing.
    Well one of the few mobs whom yout alk to for one of the opening quests chooses to resist the forsaken, he is let free butlater tries to stage a revolt against the starting down, so he is summarily defeated by your toon. So basicly you ca do whatever you want, It doesn't mean the forsaken won't retaliate should you get rowdy however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakiami View Post
    They have free will. Simply play the horde side of Silverpine questline and you will see this for a fact.
    It can be seen in the first 2 minutes of Forsaken starting area tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Why do you think the Forsaken hate the Scourge and the Lich King? "Be happy the Lich King brought you back"? Why would anyone feel differently about the Forsaken after getting murdered and resurrected as zombies?
    They were brought back with no free will and killed the people they loved. These new forsaken just understand how the others feel, being unaccepted by anyone but their own kind. The difference is that one murdered their families without any kind of free will, and one was given a second chance so to say.
    At least as far as we know. While it is never really told for sure that these new undead have free will, they seem not to, but this might just be because blizzard was lazy to make different quotes.
    Last edited by Thrive; 2011-01-20 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrive View Post
    They were brought back with no free will and killed the people they loved. These new forsaken just understand how the others feel, being unaccepted by anyone but their own kind. The difference is that one murdered their families without any kind of free will, and one was given a second chance so to say.
    ...no. Just no.

The Forsaken resented the Lich King for raising them and the Light for letting them become undead. Even Sylvanas called it a cursed existence. On top of that, many of the new Forsaken were murdered by...wait for it...THE FORSAKEN!
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

The forsaken propaganda machine would like you to think so.
    Do they really? Well... it's not really possible to prove either way is it?
    If you ask one they would say so, but that might just be what the Val'Kyr has programmed them to say. In ICC we could see that it's easily possible to have beings mind controlled into devotion to you without turning them into mindless drones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    ...no. Just no.

The Forsaken resented the Lich King for raising them and the Light for letting them become undead. Even Sylvanas called it a cursed existence. On top of that, many of the new Forsaken were murdered by...wait for it...THE FORSAKEN!
    They hated the Lich king because they had to kill, destroy and decimate their homeland and their families. The undeath had little to do with it. If i was brought back and killed my family i would be pissed i was made to fuck up my family, not that i was brought back. While being brought back isn't really a gift, it was not the main point to why the forsaken are the forsaken.
    And what new forsaken were murdered by the forsaken Because i don't remeber that.

I think how it typically works with the forsaken is that no matter how you would have felt about anything during your life, being raised into undeath leads you to just not care about anything. Therefore, whatever ties to the living you had would now be meaningless. The forsaken, on the other hand, are like you. Why not cast your lot in with Sylvanas until something better comes along? That's been the lore perspective forever. The forsaken are only even in the horde because it suits their interests at the moment.