Thread: [TV] Dexter

Page 1 of 46
... LastLast

Dexter. *SPOILERS INSIDE*

Please don't even continue reading if you haven't seen Season 4. I don't want to ruin anything for you.

So, for any Dexter fans out there what's your insight as to what happens next?

Was Rita's death a dream perhaps, or is Dexter going to have to struggle with being a single Dad, his job and his alternative "monster."

I personally was really REALLY hoping it was an illusion but, I can't see how that would make sense.
    I'm pumped for season 5 and can't wait to see what they do with this tragic situation.

I obviously know that we'll see his internal struggle with everything that happened but, then what?
    But, in every season there was a theme...

Season 1: Ice Truck Killer / Brother.
    Season 2: Bay Harbor Butcher scare / Lila. (I hated her terribly.)
    Season 3: Miguel and their friendship.
    Season 4: Trinity.
    Season 5: Struggle of his new life and loss or something more...

So, who liked the season finale? Who hated it? What's your Season 5 predictions?

/Discuss

Re: Dexter.

I haven't seen Dexter, is it as good as people say?

Well, it's really all preference. I can't say you'll hate it or love it
    It's my personal favorite of any T.V. show on currently but you kinda have to just go and watch for yourself.
    Enjoy if you do!

So I'm not the only one that hated Lila :P

The last season (4) was just absolutely fantastic. It had everyhing a TV series need, albeit with a few episodes that were a little below the norm in the middle. But overall, fantastic story and great suspense all the way ;D

EDIT: You should probably mention the spoilers in the title, though.

Everytime I heard Lila speak I thought I'd rip my hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb

EDIT: You should probably mention the spoilers in the title, though.
    Modified. Thank you.

I agree, the last season(4) was epic, and the ending was very shocking and very cool. Cant wait for season 5.

My opinion, Dexter in season 5 is gonna stop going by his rules, tell Debra about himself or just go rampage killing everything he doesnt like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab

My opinion, Dexter in season 5 is gonna stop going by his rules, tell Debra about himself or just go rampage killing everything he doesnt like.
    See, I always thought a small twist would be Debra finally knowing about him but I'm not sure.
    And as for a killing rampage; since Trinity is already dead he may bend his rules a little to take his aggresion out on someone or something. Regardless of what mask he tried to put on he did truly care for Rita.

Re: Dexter. *SPOILERS INSIDE*

Am I the only one that thought you were talking about this dexter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltrollo View Post
    [/COLOR]

I totally didn't see the death of Rita coming after Trinity was dead already. I really hope they won't overdo the single dad family-focused thing for the next season because I didn't really like this part of the series either way. :/

Registered just for this topic. Loves me some Dexter.

The whole dream thing has been done, and drama writes learned their lesson from Dallas... The writers killed off a popular character, the viewers didnt like it so they renigged on their idea, and made it so the entire previous season was just a dream. It failed on a mediocre show like Dallas, it would be a million times worse if it happened to Dexter, where the writing is some of the best writing to ever be done for a TV show.

I do think that eventually Dex will tell Debora what he does, but I think the big focus of the next season will be Harrison. Like Dex said at the end of s4, born in blood. I can see Dex teaching Harrison just like Harry did for him. Teaching him the Code, while trying to balance raising Ritas other two children.

Lila was a really good antagonist and her character really fit well with what was going on in the show at the time. Adding to the fact that it seemed like everything was falling apart for Dex... His relationship with Rita, Doakes obsessing about finding out what Dexter was up to, Lundy poking and prodding trying to hunt the Bay-Harbor Butcher... Then you throw in Lila? Great addition to contribute to the downward spiral that was Dexters life in s2.

Like I was saying, I really think that s5 will start a few years down the line, with Harrison (Or hell, maybe even Cody) starting to show the signs that Dex was when he was young, when Harry took him out on the boat and confronted him about his darkness.

In the books, Dexter tells Debora what he does, and start teaching Cody about the Code that Harry taught him because Cody was showing the signs as well, with what happened to Rita, it could really go either way, but my money goes to a father son serial killer bonding kind of focus for next season.

I loved how completely unexpected the ending was, but I will be sad to see Rita go.

The only thing I really disliked about season 4 was the Batista and LaGuerta scenes. They were completely pointless.

As for the other seasons. I too despised Lila, which is really saying something because I usually have a thing for girls with English accents. That said, season 2 did have several redeeming factors, including the hunt for the Bay Harbor Butcher (Dexter) and the Dexter/Doakes showdown at the end. I liked Miguel more than most other fans seemed to, but I still think season 3 has been the lowest point of the series. For me, the quality goes: 4 > 1 > 2 > 3.

Season 5 predictions. Well, assuming Michael C. Hall's cancer stays in remission and we actually get a fifth season, I think it could go three ways:

1) Near the end of season 4, Dexter was considering abandoning his life, because he didn't want to turn into a man who abuses his family like Trinity. However, he eventually decided to stay, realizing that he actually cared for his family, while Trinity's family was nothing more than a blind against suspicion. But Rita's death will force Dexter to admit that, regardless of how much he cares for them, his "alternate lifestyle" is still putting them in danger. After realizing this, I think Dexter may decide to leave Miami and abandon his family after all. Very unlikely scenario, however.

Other have speculated that Dexter will reach the same conclusion, but instead of fleeing Miami, he will turn himself in and confess his crimes. I don't see that ever happening. I think Dexter would kill himself (and make it look like an accident, of course) before he ever turned himself in. One of his biggest fears is Deb and the others finding out his secret.

2) Dexter stays in Miami, and copes with life as a single parent while also trying to find time to hunt for fresh victims. Dexter is definitely raising Harrison; Astor and Cody may still be with him as well, or they may be staying with Rita's mom. Most likely scenario.

3) Dexter stays in Miami, as a single parent, but we have jumped several years into the future. Baby Harrison is now a kid, and is starting to develop the same sociopathic tendencies that Harry recognized in young Dexter. Possible scenario, though most likely they'd save this for a later season.

Quote Originally Posted by rawrbearform

Like I was saying, I really think that s5 will start a few years down the line, with Harrison (Or hell, maybe even Cody) starting to show the signs that Dex was when he was young, when Harry took him out on the boat and confronted him about his darkness.
    I truly hope you are right with this idea mainly for the fact that I think it would be very very interesting to watch.

As far as Lila, I agree it fit in with the chaos that was his life in S2 but I still remain one of those people that just wanted to slap her silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Malchezaar
    For me, the quality goes: 4 > 1 > 2 > 3.
    Same goes for myself in that exact order.

I have to admit Miguel was not a character that I completely disliked. I felt like I misunderstood him a little and I kept giving him chances throughout watching season 3. I agree that it was the lowest point in the show for me but I can't say that it was awful in anyway.

Deleted

The Dexter ending was sick!
    The trinity killer is without a doubt the best we have ever seen

I really cant wait for season 5!

Ending was legendary, capped off what was easily the best of the 4 seasons thus far.

As far as what I think S5 will be about. Each season seems to be more about Dexter finding something new out about how to deal with his life, overcoming new social hurdles along the way. Just being a single father and being busier than ever and having to find people to help him all the time will likely be a major factor in the next season.

They could also add some kind of element to his ritual having to do with Rita, buuut... I honestly don't think he cared about her all that much. Just in the fact that she was an easy cover.

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb
    So I'm not the only one that hated Lila :P
    Well I hated and loved her. The sex scene was awesome for how little they showed and we were all waiting for it.

Last season's finale was awesome. I did not see it happening and it was a little weird for me how much blood was under the baby (wouldn't Trinity kill Rita in the bath tub by cutting her leg?). Maybe he did deviate and kill Rita just to get at Dexter and then put her in the bathtub. Anyways .. Season 5 will be awesome.

Here is a youtube link for post season 5 discussion with Michael C Hall and John Litgow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi7hpA70tIM

(crap quality but sound is good)

Quote Originally Posted by Ijanaak
    They could also add some kind of element to his ritual having to do with Rita, buuut... I honestly don't think he cared about her all that
    I don't think he wanted to, but I believe he really did care much more than he thought he did.

That's a nice link to their S5 discussion btw.
    Good video to watch for any Dexter fan awaiting the next season.

amazing last season
    Yea it's me.

Dexter is one of the rare shows that just gets better as it goes along, I love it...

Though S2 was almost ruined by Lila... I think she made up for it with "Pardon my tits"

Also happy 39th birthday Michael C. Hall!