Thread: [TV] Dexter

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Well when they killed his wife in s3 they essentially took away the bruce wayne to the batman and instead of juggling that family/dark passenger life it just became about other crazy villains wanting to out crazy dexter. While he bangs hot pyscho's that end up wanting to kill him.

So it was just weird. Remember that season with miguel prado the like high level spanish attorney that wants to kill people because he sees dexter as such a good guy and wants to get in on the fun. And he ends up sending another serial killer after dexter. Like what a cluster fuck departure from what was quite a tight narrative show which started with the ice truck killer and went into his habits and daily life like his excessive eating for energy.
    Jimmy Smits season was actually before Trinity, so yeah, these problems started pretty early.

Not sure how I feel about this, I kinda liked the ending even though killing his wife so soon was a mistake which made some seasons in between kinda weird.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Jimmy Smits season was actually before Trinity, so yeah, these problems started pretty early.
    It was a great performance from the actor playing miguel but man....in hindsight this show was weird.

Only things that I remember that was good was season 1, some of doakes lines and the trinity killer

colin hanks wasnt bad to be fair.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally enjoyed *most* of the seasons for what they were (to varying degrees, certainly agree there are stronger and weaker storylines in there lol).

What I got 'sick' of with the way they wrote Dexter is every season was a new attempt at being "a real boy" (to use Pinocchio terms) - his new attempt at making friends and 'normal' attachments/relationships with whomever became his new 'mentor-friend' that season. I feel like they could have done so much more with the character than having him re-tread the same goal every season with different people.

The ins and outs in between that 'main drive' were still interesting to me; I just hated they gave him the same goal over and over again instead of well.. anything else.

Which sucks, the writers (or maybe that was the books' writer) in the beginning seem to have a much better hold and realistic (real life) understanding of how the mind of a psychopath could actually function by 'faking it' in the real world. Not sure at what point the seasons stopped using the book(s) as a guide and started winging it - and maybe, much like with GoT, that's where their skills ended - and we just got re-hashed "I can be a real boy this year!" season after season.

The ending - ugg. I for one am glad for a LIMITED series to perhaps give them a chance to redeem where they ended up with Dexter. But I'm also not expecting miracles in 10 episodes. (lol)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    I personally enjoyed *most* of the seasons for what they were (to varying degrees, certainly agree there are stronger and weaker storylines in there lol).

What I got 'sick' of with the way they wrote Dexter is every season was a new attempt at being "a real boy" (to use Pinocchio terms) - his new attempt at making friends and 'normal' attachments/relationships with whomever became his new 'mentor-friend' that season. I feel like they could have done so much more with the character than having him re-tread the same goal every season with different people.

The ins and outs in between that 'main drive' were still interesting to me; I just hated they gave him the same goal over and over again instead of well.. anything else.

Which sucks, the writers (or maybe that was the books' writer) in the beginning seem to have a much better hold and realistic (real life) understanding of how the mind of a psychopath could actually function by 'faking it' in the real world. Not sure at what point the seasons stopped using the book(s) as a guide and started winging it - and maybe, much like with GoT, that's where their skills ended - and we just got re-hashed "I can be a real boy this year!" season after season.

The ending - ugg. I for one am glad for a LIMITED series to perhaps give them a chance to redeem where they ended up with Dexter. But I'm also not expecting miracles in 10 episodes. (lol)
    I agree with you on both accounts. They could have done so much in developing his character instead of just rehashing the same theme each season.

And the ending...OMFG...I just watched it tonight, because I never finished the last three seasons (for me the Trinity Killer was the best ending possible, of what I saw after that). I just now went through the last three episodes of Season 8 in anticipation of the Limited Series coming back with the original show runner.

What in the holy fuck were they thinking? The ending was just awful.

They have a LOT to make up for.

I watched the first episode of the new one (it’s free on YT) and it was okay.

This isn’t really a spoiler, since he’s in the ads, but holy shit how they brought Harrison into the show was so dumb. In so many ways.

I don’t know man, I want to like it, I love the first 4 seasons of Dexter, but there is a lot of dumb in it so far and I’ve heard the first episode is the best so far…

I have a theory that Harrison will turn out to be like Dexter, but evil, and he’ll have to kill him.

And come to the conclusion after that he’s rotten to the core and he just destroys the lives of people around him.

Then he will take his life in the last scene.

There’s already been foreshadowing with Deb.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I watched the first episode of the new one (it’s free on YT) and it was okay.

This isn’t really a spoiler, since he’s in the ads, but holy shit how they brought Harrison into the show was so dumb. In so many ways.

I don’t know man, I want to like it, I love the first 4 seasons of Dexter, but there is a lot of dumb in it so far and I’ve heard the first episode is the best so far…

I have a theory that Harrison will turn out to be like Dexter, but evil, and he’ll have to kill him.

And come to the conclusion after that he’s rotten to the core and he just destroys the lives of people around him.

Then he will take his life in the last scene.

There’s already been foreshadowing with Deb.
    I'm right there with you. I'm in the second episode now and it's all kinds of stupid how Harrison just came back into his life.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Just watched the finale of the new season. It was a better ending then season8 but would have prefered another

Well, sometimes I just scratch my head and wonder what the hell people who make this stuff are thinking.

It’s clearly not great.

I actually did enjoy it up until the last episode and they even had interesting things setup and they just flopped or left open almost all of it.

Last episode really should of been more than 1 episode. Felt very rushed.

Like you’d think after 10 years they’d come up with a good ending, but holy shit.

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Well, sometimes I just scratch my head and wonder what the hell people who make this stuff are thinking.

It’s clearly not great.

I actually did enjoy it up until the last episode and they even had interesting things setup and they just flopped or left open almost all of it.

Last episode really should of been more than 1 episode. Felt very rushed.

Like you’d think after 10 years they’d come up with a good ending, but holy shit.

Nope.
    I liked the season as a whole...but I do feel like pacing was an issue the whole season. Feels like it was planned to be a 12 episode season (like the original series was) but then they decided to cram it down into 10. Maybe they had to cut filming short because of Covid or something.

That finale though. It did seem very rushed. They either should have cut a lot more out and streamlined it or gone all in and made it a two-parter. Why bother having Angel if they weren't going to follow through?

Feels like when Dexter escaped would have been a good place for a to be continued. The next episode could have been Angel joining in on the manhunt, dealing with Kurt's trophy room, maybe even have Harrison setting up Dexter for Bishop after he finds out about Logan (which would at least explain how she knew exactly where to go to find him)

It really feels like this season should have been 2 episodes or so longer so they could have shown a bit more of the aftermath instead of ending it on the note they did as well as generally making it feel less rushed.

I enjoyed the new season, but the ending feels just as weird as the old one.

The season was a bit odd and the whole dexter swist with the (step-) sister to create the uncomfortable situations was gone. The final episode could have deserved a really bloody ending, because killing a support charcter that the viewer had not much connection with, was clearly not that spectacular and pretty boring. Batistas suspicion felt wrong, as dexter ended in the previous season with a clean state - those who suspected anything with dexter were dealth with.

It was overall fun to watch another season, but the ending is not any better as the previous one.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's kind of baffling that they're trying to bring this back. Have we all forgotten that the end of this show was right up there with Lost and Game of Thrones for retroactively ruining the earlier seasons by rendering it all super pointless?

It was more of a slow decline, but man, that last season still jumped right off a damned cliff. And it's really only gonna be Michael C. Hall coming back, right? I mean, he's in Canada or something, everyone else who mattered to him basically is dead, except Harrison, who he abandoned, leaviong him with a serial killer who poisons people who get in her way. And who thinks Dexter's dead, so isn't keeping Harrison around for anything but sentimentality.

I just don't know where they can possibly take this.
    well at least now we know why they brought dexter back

stronk woman got him while men couldnt

another franchise ruined while at start of season it had such potential

woke movement got another male hero :/

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The ending was extremely unclimactic. Dexter's death, in particular, is less so than Han Solo's. Not to mention all the stupid decisions Dexter made that got him there.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I liked the season as a whole...but I do feel like pacing was an issue the whole season. Feels like it was planned to be a 12 episode season (like the original series was) but then they decided to cram it down into 10. Maybe they had to cut filming short because of Covid or something.

That finale though. It did seem very rushed. They either should have cut a lot more out and streamlined it or gone all in and made it a two-parter. Why bother having Angel if they weren't going to follow through?

Feels like when Dexter escaped would have been a good place for a to be continued. The next episode could have been Angel joining in on the manhunt, dealing with Kurt's trophy room, maybe even have Harrison setting up Dexter for Bishop after he finds out about Logan (which would at least explain how she knew exactly where to go to find him)
    I agree I can’t believe they brought back that character and then literally did nothing with them. I mean at least put them and Dexter together for one scene if your going to end this show the way they did.

They had at least 1, maybe 2 more episodes worth of material and instead just rushed the ending. It’s a shame.

Sigh.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2022-01-10 at 10:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The ending was extremely unclimactic. Dexter's death, in particular, is less so than Han Solo's. Not to mention all the stupid decisions Dexter made that got him there.
    Yep, what a load of SHIT. I think it's worse than the original lumberjack ending, because I enjoyed this return and had high expectations for it. Whereas the original series had been going downhill for 3 season or so, so I was expecting it to be bad.

Awful, no other words.

i enjoyed it, agree with what everyone says about the ending but the truth is Deb should have killed him ten years ago and it was never going to be satisfying after one season with his son, who i liked and thought acted well.

i cant believe ive only just realised that the kurgan was kurt caldwell

Not a fan of this ending. Would have rather we kept the original ending, as terrible as it was, than this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

What a sad sad existence it must be to see everything through your lens of "aggressive feminism" or whatever such similar bs.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

do you remember how La Guerta got him back in the original series? she had him dead to rights. Hell, Doakes had him dead to rights but he acted real dumb. Angel and Quinn probably could've figured it out too but they overlooked it cause Dexter killed the guy who killed Deb

also, if you consider Dexter to be a "male hero" then dude... like fucking really? he's a freaking serial killer for gods sake