Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I went from using vista on my old pc to 7 on my new one...been about 6 months now and it's much much better imo. However i'd not say it's worth coughing up the money for as vista is fine aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by LGalucard View Post

What i want to know is : Is there a noticeable improvement to getting windows 7 in what regards gaming ( beyond the obvious dx11) ?
    There is one, and only one, simple answer to this: YES.
    Also is there any difference between the student version, home premium and ultimate version?
    Don't exact difference between student version and home premium, but ultimate version has alot "useless" features conserning home use (like file crypting etc.)
    Also home premium (64-bit) supports something like 6 or 8 gigs of memory, professional maybe 16 gigs and ultimate was around infinite, but I'll bet you will never need like more than 16 gigs of memory while win7 is around. Not atleast at home.

(Those memory amount are not exact, but near.)
    Last edited by Taurosil; 2011-01-20 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Adding a line

Vista 32 bit is garbage. 64 bit is even worse. If you won't think you have problems with vista, it's probably because you don't really know much about them. As network administrator, I can tell you that Vista is hell to work with, and W7 works like a dream. They look very much alike initially, but there is just so damn much difference.
    If I lost my key from work, my old key from school, and I could not get it back for free, I would definatly pay for a new Windows 7, even though I spent the 119$ or whatever the price is for Vista back in the day.

And Janz you're entitled to your opinion, just don't start being rude, please. Computers do get slower the more applications there are on them. No firewall or antivirus can block 100% of the attacks on your computer, so you will get some malware on your computer. If you don't care about these, sure don't format, don't reinstall. But I don't want anything slowing my computer, so I format it once in a while, after a few months. I save everything on my D-drive, and I have an image that I reload every time. Takes 10 minutes. Not really that much work to have a computer that's clean and not slowed by anything.

Well , there is no way i will come up with the patience, desire or excuse to format my system every 3 months. Ive had no had any performance issues with vista (at least not that i can notice).

I dont really care for the new shiny graphics and more gimmicky interface.

What i want to know is : Is there a noticeable improvement to getting windows 7 in what regards gaming ( beyond the obvious dx11) ?

Also is there any difference between the student version, home premium and ultimate version?
    Yes, there is a notable improvement in regards to gaming IF you have less than 4GB of ram installed on your computer. 7 runs far fewer background programs than Vista, so eats far less memory.
    The primary difference in the packages lies in the extra software and customization options available. If you don't fiddle with default settings too often, the basic version is perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    How about using a friends disc? You have 3 licenses or something?

A while since I checked
    Depends. Normally you get one license. Ofc you can get 3 or 10 or 50. Depends on how much money you spend.

---------- Post added 2011-01-20 at 10:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Yes, there is a notable improvement in regards to gaming IF you have less than 4GB of ram installed on your computer. 7 runs far fewer background programs than Vista, so eats far less memory.
    The primary difference in the packages lies in the extra software and customization options available. If you don't fiddle with default settings too often, the basic version is perfectly fine.
    Don't buy home basic. You can't do shit with it, and if you try and get on a domain, well good luck, you can't! Get home Premium if you don't wanna pay for buisness or ultimate.

ive never , ever installed a new OS. Ive always upgraded when i get new pc(which in this case i do not need) So i have no idea how to do the partitions or keep anything i have installed. I hear 7 can isntall over vista and keep all but everyone says that i should do a fresh install (i also feel inclined to do so).

I do not want to cough the 120 bucks , and i cannot get the student version cus well i live in Puerto Rico and they always forget to include em in most of these deals (even though is not a country and while not state , it does belongs to the US). However if it offers a noticeable upgrade in gaming i will pay for it.

So if it does offers and upgrade.... what kind of a hassle should i expect for the install?

Also saving 15-30s in boot time does not constitutes a noticeable upgrade for me.

Deleted
    It's worth the money, especially to get away from Vista. I've said this since the beginning of the Windows 7 RC, and I say it to this day. It's well worth every coin.

No. If you have SP2 installed (Windows Update pushes it by default unless you've turned automatic updates off), performance difference to Win7 is less than 5% and you will not see a difference without extensive bencmarking. On the other hand Win7 uses less RAM, but buying more memory is still cheaper than buying Win7.

Also Vista supports DirectX11 too, that's not a reason to swith to Win7.

OEM Home Premium version costs $100, which is less than upgrade for full version. There's no need or point in getting upgrade since you can run the OEM on top of Vista too if necessary.

Student version is usually full Professional, but it may vary by country. For gaming use Home Premium will be totally fine, there are some small differences between Win7 versions, but for most people those are not worth the extra cost. Also you can use any of the full versions to upgrade then Vista with possibly some small restrctions. Usually you can upgrade to higher version, vista home to win7 pro for example, but other way around might not work.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurosil View Post

Don't exact difference between student version and home premium, but ultimate version has alot "useless" features conserning home use (like file crypting etc.)
    Also home premium (64-bit) supports something like 6 or 8 gigs of memory, professional maybe 16 gigs and ultimate was around infinite, but I'll bet you will never need like more than 16 gigs of memory while win7 is around. Not atleast at home.

(Those memory amount are not exact, but near.)
    I wouldn't say that "near" would be the right word. Basic can use 4GB (8GB at 64-bit), Home Premium 4GB (16GB at 64-bit), Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise 4GB (192GB at 64-bit)

So I can't say that 16GB is close to 192GB as suggested in your post. Also the usage above 4GB is quite handy to have during extreme multitasking and if you do video/picture editing and/or similar.

Well i have 4G ram and 1g of video memory , would windows 7 help in any substantial way? At this point more than the cost or the improvement , what is really holding me back from the switch is the hassle of reinstalling the 20 steam games i have currently installed , WoW and all the drivers for video and such.

Advice or words of encouragement are welcomed.

Well i have 4G ram and 1g of video memory , would windows 7 help in any substantial way? At this point more than the cost or the improvement , what is really holding me back from the switch is the hassle of reinstalling the 20 steam games i have currently installed , WoW and all the drivers for video and such.

Advice or words of encouragement are welcomed.
    As a note, if you go to any form of college or posses an .edu e-mail. You can find Windows 7 at a discounted price or even free if your school has a program going with the Microsoft Academic Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by EverFX View Post
    As a note, if you go to any form of college or posses an .edu e-mail. You can find Windows 7 at a discounted price or even free if your school has a program going with the Microsoft Academic Alliance.
    This.

To the OP, it's a good investment. An upgrade license of Win 7 Pro is about $65 directly from MS if you have a .edu email. Moreover, it's possible to do a clean install and activation even with "upgrade" media on a blank hdd (requires a minor registry edit + line in cmd prompt to reset the activation utility).

Since you already have 64 bit vista and you are not having any issues with it, there is no reason to upgrade in my opinion.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

i love win7

just seems so fucking smooth and minimal, seems like it's doing its thing without letting you know its doing its thing

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    Since you already have 64 bit vista and you are not having any issues with it, there is no reason to upgrade in my opinion.
    So long as SP2 is installed, I'm inclined to agree. They really did shape Vista into a decent OS with lessons learned from 7. The difference between Vista SP2 and 7 (in performance) are minimal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ununoctium View Post
    Don't buy home basic. You can't do shit with it, and if you try and get on a domain, well good luck, you can't! Get home Premium if you don't wanna pay for buisness or ultimate.
    No home editions of Windows can join a domain as they are designed this way, bar ultimate which is the same as enterprise edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ununoctium View Post
    Why on earth would you wanna be running Vista when it's the worst thing Microsoft has released since Millenium? If you don't wanna pay for Windows 7, go back to XP!
    OT: Windows 7 is the best thing that has ever happened to PC's. It is by far the most stable, best performing and most user-friendly (not in the gay Vista way where you can't do anything yourself and everything must be done through some fucked-up wizard) operation system to date. It is worth every single penny unless you, like me, can get it for free through work or school.
    Buy it! It is 1000 times better than the shitty excuse for an OS that they call Vista.

To quote Microsoft: Windows 7 is what Windows Vista should have been.

Also: Install WoW on a secondary logical drive (like D:\ instead of C:\) and format your computer once in a while. No matter what you do to prevent it, your computer will keep getting slower. If you wanna get the most out of your computer, you should format and reinstall Windows every 2-3 months. And never ever install windows Vista again!
    is millenium that crap windows ME??? launched a WHILE ago I am not sure anymore

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 04:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    You clearly then have no experience outside Microsoft products.
    Freaking better than a Mac I just hate mac interface ( Its just a matter of taste srly, even if mac are more efficient I prefer a good ol bad microsoft OS lol)

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Save your cash, go back to XP and wait for Android on PCs... it will be reality within 2 years or less
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post
    Save your cash, go back to XP and wait for Android on PCs... it will be reality within 2 years or less
    We can always hope ( PLEASE GIMME ANDROID FOR PC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post
    Will that be any good? What are its benefits?? )