Poll: What spec is hardest to follow general raid actions

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The hardest spec for general raid awareness

Resto druid here who really loves healing. I love my class and my spec.

But sometimes I feel like I need to choose between good healing and overall raid boss encounter awareness. In a way both really need to be fulfilled if you want a successful bosskill.

Atm I'm on a 10m normal raid going through BWD and we haven't got past Atremedes. This is the first time as a real raider and I'm liking it.

Another thing I like are things that aren't simple. A.k.a. I love challenges. In the end I can be slightly frustrated by my own shortcomings, yet in general I'm happy it stays a challenge .

The question I wanted to ask is how hard for other classes it is to follow the raid and have good raid awareness (as in cooldowns, spells to be avoided etc.)
    Last edited by Equilis; 2011-01-20 at 03:07 PM.

Typically it is not too hard, at least in my experience. I play a DK and usually MT, i also do sub out as unholy or frost depending on the encounter. If you run with the same 10 people every time you raid, the raid-awareness/cooldowns/avoidance almost becomes a non-issue, people tend to communicate better if they are a close knit group(which could be assumed).

If I were to order them then I'd say healer>>tank>melee>ranged, hardest being healer.
    Last edited by Zevulon; 2011-01-20 at 02:48 PM.

doh voted before i saw the question:P

as said above i think healer has the hardest job, he needs to keep everything alive and him self, so watch every1 + boss.
    as tank its just stay alive, keep agro and watch adds if there are any
    after that its the dps with just watch yourself with agro and the bosses actions.

i think you cant generalize it.
    every encounter is somehow different. while chimaeron is a walk in the park for dps, its much harder for healer.
    other encounter again beeing melee is harder because you have to avoid certain abilies.

overall i think beeing healer is always a bit harder because of some simple mechanics:
    1. if the encounter is hard for healer you whipe if they fail
    2. if the encounter is hard for melee - your healer "carry" some of their mistakes and its not always guaranteed whipe

15+ Year Old Account
    I voted on healer, but honestly, my raid awareness was much worse when I was shadow a couple of weeks ago. Shadow is very complicated now.

I think tank has it easiest and healer has it the worst, which is why I like to be the one calling out stuff to the raid. I tried healing for a bit in wotlk when it was easy, and even then I found myself losing focus on the big picture while I was staring at my grid.

Deleted
    Well, as a feral tank im generally the MT and i would completely agree that healing is more difficult at the moment due to the fact that Healers have to prioritise healing which if done wrong, leads to death . Raiding generally awareness for myself is making sure my CDs are ready for anything attack that makes me take significant damage, as well as watching timers for boss attacks for kiting or moving etc, and also looking at the melee dps to make sure they can still hit the boss, im not moving too fast etc. Raiding awareness order is definately Healers>Tanks>Melee DPS>Ranged DPS

Personally I actually tend to find that it's hardest when I dps. I just get a lot more tunnel vision and focus more on my cooldowns and such. When I'm healing and tanking I tend to be looking a lot more at what's going on and what I need to do to react to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In regards to raid awareness, I'd say that melee have it the worst. Poor guys can't see crap with all the effects that are flying around them. As a healer with rather slow casts, I have ample time to see what is happening where.

Who actually voted for tank :S

I think its the easiest for a tank or ranged dps and harder for the melee and the healers. Im a healer and the raidleader and when we engage new encounters i find myself slacking heals to check where others make the mistakes, slacking healers is always bad though slacking dps will still get you to enrage timers. When i dps theres plenty of time to look around and focus on staying alive and dodging the bad stuff.

dps with involved rotations have a hard time keeping up with raid awareness in my experience (ferals/locks/spriests)

tanks have it the easiest in terms of awareness imo.

Deleted
    I don't see how people can vote for one role.. And most roles are situational.

I'm a tankadin and was the guilds MT and almost pewped my pants several times per night on progression raids over the past years. Beside the MT I've been present as priest healer, rogue, mage and hunter.

I think every role has a different kind of stress. When I'm about to die as tank I'm sure it ain't just the healer that is about to pee his paints. Tankadin's have shitloads of utility to prevent people taking damage (either moving the boss, using CD's). Sure, on a tank and spank fight it is easy to hold aggro, yet I still dispell, taunt loose mobs, swap aura's, Hand of Protection, Hand of Sacrifice, Hand of Salvation, etc.

On a boss with a load of movement it can be really hard to keep aggro if your ranged dps dish out loads of dps. The melee on it's turn has to be aware to navigate to the right places and pull their weight to prevent being swapped out for a ranged dps.

I think every role / class / spec can have a hard time if they pull the max out of their class. It is easy to just tank / dps / heal. But everybody can be a raidsavior!

Deleted
    Based on my personal experience then it is by far the healer role who is having the hardest time during a raid encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Menzo View Post
    I think its the easiest for a tank or ranged dps and harder for the melee and the healers. Im a healer and the raidleader and when we engage new encounters i find myself slacking heals to check where others make the mistakes, slacking healers is always bad though slacking dps will still get you to enrage timers. When i dps theres plenty of time to look around and focus on staying alive and dodging the bad stuff.
    When I raidlead and we get to a new boss then I forbid DPS from hitting him for one or two tries. Instead of focusing on rotations and DPS CDs I force them to focus on boss mechanics which got the added benefit of making it easier for healers to learn the boss aswell since there will be less raiddamage taken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hardest -- > Easiest

Healer>"Rotation Dpsers"(Ranged Dps)>Melee dps>Tank

Tanking is not easy, but imo is easier in the matter of awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockmahparty View Post
    I don't see how people can vote for one role.. And most roles are situational.

I'm a tankadin and was the guilds MT and almost pewped my pants several times per night on progression raids over the past years. Beside the MT I've been present as priest healer, rogue, mage and hunter.

I think every role has a different kind of stress. When I'm about to die as tank I'm sure it ain't just the healer that is about to pee his paints. Tankadin's have shitloads of utility to prevent people taking damage (either moving the boss, using CD's). Sure, on a tank and spank fight it is easy to hold aggro, yet I still dispell, taunt loose mobs, swap aura's, Hand of Protection, Hand of Sacrifice, Hand of Salvation, etc.

On a boss with a load of movement it can be really hard to keep aggro if your ranged dps dish out loads of dps. The melee on it's turn has to be aware to navigate to the right places and pull their weight to prevent being swapped out for a ranged dps.

I think every role / class / spec can have a hard time if they pull the max out of their class. It is easy to just tank / dps / heal. But everybody can be a raidsavior!
    Hmm did you read the question?

The question was which spec has the most raid awareness, if a tank doesnt have raid awareness then there a bad tank.. its not about how hard it is to tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post

The question was which spec has the most raid awareness, if a tank doesnt have raid awareness then there a bad tank.. its not about how hard it is to tank.
    Actually, the question was for which specc is it hardest to have good raid awareness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post

Was both a response to the thread and to posts like:
    I think tank has it easiest and healer has it the worst, which is why I like to be the one calling out stuff to the raid. I tried healing for a bit in wotlk when it was easy, and even then I found myself losing focus on the big picture while I was staring at my grid.