Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Possible Bug: Lash of Pain?

I was running tests on which pet does the most damage against a raid boss when spec'd Demonology. While doing this I found something that I think may be a bug. I personally have 14.49% spell crit, and 9.52% melee crit. My pet's stats are as follows:

Each test was run for a minimum of 1.5 million damage being done by my pet alone. This was an average of 500 attacks (Lash of Pain, Firebolt, and the Fel Guard's Melee).

Felguard: Legion Strike
    Critical Chance: 9 - 10%
    Normal Chance: 90 - 91%

Imp: Firebolt
    Critical Chance: 13.5 - 15%
    Normal Chance: 85 - 86.5%

Succubus: Lash of Pain
    Critical Chance: 2 - 3%
    Normal Chance: 97 - 98%

The Succubus' crit chance being that low with the exact same stats shows a bug to me. Not only does this make her damage much lower than it should be, but it also means that a warlock gains almost no benefit from Mana Feed.

Is anyone else seeing these kinds of results?

15+ Year Old Account
    A few things:
    1) This was already reported on EJ, and having a 2 post member come here and say the same thing is very strange. If you find this insulting, I apologize and look forward to your future contributions, should you choose to stick around.
    2) Succubus has issues attacking from behind the dummy because lash of pain is not "attack" - this can skew numbers sometimes. Did you put her behind before starting this test?
    3) Succubus Lash of Pain uses melee crit, so you might have just had bad luck. 500 swings can result in a 5-6% variance, try 2000+
    Last edited by gherkin; 2011-01-20 at 09:43 PM.

R.I.P. YARG

Deleted
    Yesterday in Blackrock Caverns (the only data I've atm):

Felguard
    - felstorm 22.2% crit
    - attack 20.0% crit
    - legion strike 26.6% crit

Succubus
    - lash of pain 11.3% crit

15+ Year Old Account
    To quote Zalkawe:
    LoP has been fixed to be modeled as an attack, not a spell, in SVN. It's not in the latest release though - may have to wait a few days for that.

EDIT: Looks like about a 400 DPS loss for the demo profile with succubus, which is enough to make felguard better. I'll have updated results in the OP later today.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    This definately sounds like a bug. Why would the Felguard use your Spell Crit for it's melee attacks, and Succubus use your Melee stats? Nonsensicle. I could understand the difference if we were talking about Imp's Firebolts. I checked my own logs from BRC last night and see the same thing between FG on Magmaw, and Succy on Omnom.

I would bet the non-haste scaling of GCDs is related also.

15+ Year Old Account
    From what I've read:
    Felguard uses melee crit. Succubus uses melee crit. Imp uses spell crit.

Edit: Maybe Hand of Gul'dan does not apply to Lash of Pain? That would account for such a wide difference. Might be worth testing? I would if I were at home

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Very unscientific testing suggest FG is using your Spell Crit, got him critting ~15% of the time without HoG up with just normal attacks, Succy critting 5%, HoG is adding 10% to both those figures.

Edit: Actually, no HoG isn't adding 10% to FG melee attacks.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2011-01-20 at 10:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is the dummy affected by curse of gul'dan? it might skew the results if it isnt.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Definately is.

It does seem to be effecting Legion Strike though, so I guess it's only working for 'Special' attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    A few things:
    1) This was already reported on EJ, and having a 2 post member come here and say the same thing is very strange. If you find this insulting, I apologize and look forward to your future contributions, should you choose to stick around.
    2) Succubus has issues attacking from behind the dummy because lash of pain is not "attack" - this can skew numbers sometimes. Did you put her behind before starting this test?
    3) Succubus Lash of Pain uses melee crit, so you might have just had bad luck. 500 swings can result in a 5-6% variance, try 2000+
    I apologize if this was already reported. I have done several searches on google looking for it before I posted this.

I did another test with 1500+ attacks giving 4.4% crit chance. This included a partial increase from having imp shadow bolt on the target for about 300 of those, so it is slightly higher than it should have been.

None of my tests were done using Hand of Guldan. Even with HoG up, it doesn't change the fact that the base crit chance seems to be extremely low. The fact that imp shadow bolt increased the crit chance seems to indicate that the succubus uses spells not melee attacks and indeed works off of spell crit chance.

I have not tried manually moving her behind the target, I will try that.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off, sorry for the terrible sample size, had to do this a second time thanks to a wowerror before I screenshotted Recount. The first attempt showed virtually identical numbers though so meh.

Felguard's melee with no Hand of Gul'dan

Felguard's melee with Hand of Gul'dan (lol at worse crit rate)

Legion Strike with no Hand of Gul'dan

Legion Strike with Hand of Gul'dan

Lash of Pain with no Hand of Gul'dan

Lash of Pain with Hand of Gul'dan

I also noticed doing this that the Succubus would randomly stop attacking for a few seconds rather like the Doomguard has been noticed to.

I did a rather large test, just to confirm.

Succubus was move manually behind the target
    No Hand of Guldan was used in order to show base crit chance

Here are my stats:
    Melee Crit: 9.52%
    Spell Crit: 14.49%

Here are the results:
    2057 Lash of Pain
    1977 Normal Hits - 96.1%
    80 Critical Hits - 3.9%

I have images of the recount and my character pane, but I haven't posted enough to show them *faceplam*

I was on PTR last night to test this out and i also put her behind the target but im aff not Demo.

Melee crit - 8.65%
    Spell crit - 14.09%

Every test i did she was doing between 2 - 4% crit.

The funny part is that even at her doing 4% crit she does more damage then the felhunter. Now that should be a bug. What i think they should do is take the cooldown out of shadow bite.

15+ Year Old Account
    All of you with this data should post this on the appropriate bug forums where you found this:
    Bug forums for live tests
    PTR forums for ptr tests

This cannot be intended.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no bug forum EU side anymore, but I did stick a post in the Customer Support forum after realising my rambling wouldn't fit on a ticket.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...87444?page=1#1

Post your dataz there. I bumped an old thread that never got fixed.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    My thread this side of the pond.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1549671149

The latest PTR also has a weird bug related to Succubus.

If you let her attack without the warlock casting anything, she does her dps normally, as soon the warlock starts to cast stuff her dps lowers substantially.

15+ Year Old Account
    Was this as Affliction? Did you use COE Jinx? Was Seduce auto-cast enabled?
    Any time there are multiple targets to hit, the pets seem to spend a quarter second figuring out if they are on the right target, and if the spell they are using is the correct one. Thus the shit tons of macros.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Was this as Affliction? Did you use COE Jinx? Was Seduce auto-cast enabled?
    Any time there are multiple targets to hit, the pets seem to spend a quarter second figuring out if they are on the right target, and if the spell they are using is the correct one. Thus the shit tons of macros.
    Aff yes, Jinx yes, seduce off, its the SW dummie zone so yes lots of targets arround.

Anyway it only happens if the warlock is casting stuff, doesnt happen on live