Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Just a small heads up: Wurm online is opening new world on 12/12/12, and with it come nice improvements like multi-story buildings and visible armor. New world will be completely cut-off from other worlds, so no veteran players with high skills and heavy pockets will NOT settle there. Fresh start for everyone. More info on it here: http://wurmonline.tumblr.com/post/36...et-to-12-12-12

Also, I have seen something strange on the weekend. There was this game on kickstarter, Greed Monger, which claims to be the death of theme park MMOs. That in the beginning there will be nothing in the world, and everything will be player-crafted. That people will be able to claim their piece of land and build on it.

And here's where the weird part starts - you won't be able to choose this piece of land. When you buy it you will receive random parcel from the pool of predefined ones. Unless you buy from other players. Towns will have their predetermined locations and will belong to players. There will be finished castles at the game's start, and apparently you will require crafting stations located there. You won't be able to build outside your own piece of land

Am I the only one who finds it more theme-park-ish than sandbox-ish?
    Last edited by procne; 2012-12-04 at 09:20 AM. Reason: oops, typos
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Just a small heads up: Wurm online is opening new world on 12/12/12, /snip
    Hmm that looks interesting, seems like it has potential. Will give it a look on the 12th, cheers .

Has anyone tried The Repopulation yet? I signed the alpha form a long time ago but no luck getting in and havn't seen enough about it to warrant buying access yet. Supposedly inspired heavily by SW:Galaxies.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

I have applied for alpha, and backed them through kickstarter, but haven't gotten in yet. I guess it's too early to buy access, beta hasn't even started.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

10+ Year Old Account
    It(The Repopulation) does look really fun, reminds me of a few Minecraft servers I played on heh. Although I've really been looking into Maia also... not to much sandbox, but I've always loved the genre.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    It(The Repopulation) does look really fun, reminds me of a few Minecraft servers I played on heh. Although I've really been looking into Maia also... not to much sandbox, but I've always loved the genre.
    Ah, I've seen this game some time ago, but kinda missed it later somehow. Thanks for reminding

For me (at least recently): Kerbal space program. From my point of view this is a must-try. Just take 5 minutes to google or watch some youtube videos.

www.kerbalspaceprogram.com

The game is still under heavy development. Latest release (0.18), among other things, has added docking and lots of new stock parts.

Deleted
    The Anno games. Especially Anno 2070 since it's the latest, but Anno 1404 is also pretty good. It's much like simcity but it relies much more on how you manage your resources.

Edit - saw someone had already mentioned this, so nevermind. Got no other suggestions but the game is really fun ;d

Stumbled across pretty interesting game on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/212680/ Worth a try! It's a great brain picker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    One word: MINECRAFT
    Ima have to go with EvE

=)

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Also, someone mentioned more sandbox games in other thread:
    www.perpetuum-online.com - EVE clone but with robots on a planet instead of spaceships in a galaxy
    Dont bother with perpetuum,.
    they had a short burst of players when EVE released a really bad patch and angered a lot of players,. but it was short lived.
    it's a terrible game really.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've really got into Salem recently, I got into the beta a while back but only played for a few hours, am loving it so far. Love the feel of the game even in it's mid development state, I'll undoubtedly run out of things to do eventually but I'm hoping the future development (witchcraft etc) doesn't take too long to be implemented.

I also tried out Wurm Online, only briefly but enjoyed what I saw and will definitely be giving it a further play.
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,

The Settlers 7. It's more about building a city though with some fighting mixed in.

Yeah, I have played Settlers 7, but it's neither sandbox, nor about crafting. And building doesn't play as important role as it did in previous parts.

Anyway, I have stumbled upon this game: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...1/topia-online
    Looks interesting, especially how you can script your own monsters and make your own world / rules.

Also, Wurm has launched yet another server.

Finally, tomorrow is the last day when you can register an account on Salem to receive some special beta outfit for your character.

Can someone provide some insight into Entropia Universe? Especially on crafting / building aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should check out The Repopulation.

Did. And pledged on kickstarter.
    It was mentioned in the thread as well.
    But thanks

I know it was mentioned in the thread already but maybe Tropico 3? Also if you like Theme Parks try Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 or any of its predecessors, they are old but still rather good (3 is 8 years old I believe? and its the newest in the series)

https://goblinworks.com/

Pathfinder online is going to apparently be a mix between sandbox and theme-park mmorpgs. Says in the description that you can craft player-run cities.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...sy-sandbox-mmo <-- They entered Kickstarter mode not long ago. They need another 560k by January 14th for their kickstarter. Just thought I would bring this up. Pathfinder is a fun pen and paper RPG, and I can only imagine what it would be like in MMORPG form. And being Sandbox, is a definite plus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    https://goblinworks.com/

Pathfinder online is going to apparently be a mix between sandbox and theme-park mmorpgs. Says in the description that you can craft player-run cities.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...sy-sandbox-mmo <-- They entered Kickstarter mode not long ago. They need another 560k by January 14th for their kickstarter. Just thought I would bring this up. Pathfinder is a fun pen and paper RPG, and I can only imagine what it would be like in MMORPG form. And being Sandbox, is a definite plus.
    Might pledge to that as an xmas present for myself , would have to be the $100 pledge for early enrollment in beta though.
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,

There's actually a lot of info out on Pathfinder Online already. Many of the systems are explained in great detail on the developers' blog. From this, at least, it sounds amazing! Seems to be inspired by EVE Online in a bunch of areas, but it's changing a lot of what I didn't like there.

https://goblinworks.com/blog/

Add me to the list of folks who have signed up to this forum just because of this thread. I have now read the entire thing and spent the last 2 hours LOOKING for a game instead of playing one.

I came here today because after all these years, I got a desire to play ATITD again. But then I remembered how long it took me to grind everything and saw that the current telling is 1 year in and no mention of when Tale 7 will start. A Tale In The Desert is the closest thing to what I have been looking for in a game. The only thing I didn't like about it was spending 20 minutes to run across the desert to find one thing for what I needed to build. Otherwise, I loved it! So many things to customize, craft, and build. There needs to be more games like this one!~

Before that, the most addictive game I ever played was Ultima Online. I was surprised by reading this thread that people still play this. Loved that game for the crafting, leveling aspect too.

Procne, thanks so much for starting this thread. I know it's old now, but I will be watching this thread for my own hunt for crafting/sandbox type games. Got my eye on Haven & Hearth, Salem, and Under The Ocean. Made a list of most of the others. I just need to pick one. In the meantime, I'll go back to my Anno 1404 as I only ever get so far into it and abandon it and restart it again.