Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Decent enough to play Wow?

Hi, I'm absolutely not a computer guy, I can hardly make the difference between a keyboard and a screen.
    I got a new computer for Christmas, but I have no idea if it is somewhat decent, or what I can expect of it while running Wow.
    It's certainly not my purpose to upgrade it or such, I just wanted to know if it was worth removing it from it's package and installing it. Again, I'm absolutely not an expert so express yourself in human language

Intel 1156 4 core-Core i7-870-2,93Ghz Cache 8MB
    Corsair cooling hydro series H70 High performance
    Intel s1156 i3-5-7 DDR3 - Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe P55 - Sata 6G - USB3 - Raid 0.1.5.10 - 1394 - Sound 7.1Ch HD
    Corsair DDR3 - 1600 Mhz - 8GB Corsair Vengeance Heatspreader ( 2x4Go )
    New Sata 6G Pro HDD 600Gb Western Digital Veloci Raptor 10000 rpm - 32 Mb Cache
    OCZ SSD Vertex 2 - 120GB - 3.5inch SATA 2 - MLC memory - 285mb/s
    PCX Nvidia - 580 - Geforce GTX580 - 1536MB DDR5 - Dual DVI
    Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 High Performance Full Modular 750 Watt Power Supply. EU Version

Deleted
    You will be able run anything you want on that thing. Its powerful enough to handle any modern and near-future game at decent settings / high resolutions.

There's a lot of wasted money in it and you'd get more power for WoW 500€ cheaper with some tweaks.

But yeah, it will run any and all games at high (close to max) settings for next few years without upgrades as long as you have only one monitor. In WoW turn shadows one step down and the rest you can keep on ultra.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    You got THAT for christmas? Jesus...
    Although that processor has been superceded by the new i5's, it's still an insanely good gaming machine.
    Who installed that H70, or who will install that H70 for you lol?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    You've one computer to raid with high FPS in 25man raids with everything on High/Ultra.
    | Realm First Monk | Dragonflight Beta Tester ( ty Blizzard! ) |

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    You got THAT for christmas? Jesus...
    Although that processor has been superceded by the new i5's, it's still an insanely good gaming machine.
    Who installed that H70, or who will install that H70 for you lol?
    It's not like H70 is actual water-cooling?
    You plug it in on the right spots, rotate it a bit, curse at it a lot, and then it's done.
    You never handle the liquid itself. So it's not like it matters who installs it.

Yes, I'm quite sure that rig will run the 6 year old game new graphics and all. I personally need to upgrade mine. The water is still the same for me.

Yes. Max graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by ld420 View Post
    Srsly. I am however laughing at the fact, that will all those fancy guts in that expensive machine....you still use integrated sound. /point /laugh
    Someone's living in 10 years ago...

A lot of on-board sound (realtek included) has gotten significantly better over the years, and unless you have some wicked awesome super badass audiophile speaker set up, there is absolutely zero difference. I use on-board sound on my Sabertooth x58, have Logitech 5.1 THX Certified speakers, and there's no difference from my Audigy and on-board.

Nada.

With this machine you can expect to get 60 FPS in any situation with everything on Ultra ,16x Texture Filtering and 8x Multisample

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    With this machine you can expect to get 60 FPS in any situation with everything on Ultra ,16x Texture Filtering and 8x Multisample
    Except shadows... Still does not work with any PC that can be bought with off the shelf parts.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post

A lot of on-board sound (realtek included) has gotten significantly better over the years, and unless you have some wicked awesome super badass audiophile speaker set up, there is absolutely zero difference. I use on-board sound on my Sabertooth x58, have Logitech 5.1 THX Certified speakers, and there's no difference from my Audigy and on-board.

Nada.
    I do extensive music and HD video editing, and have a similar setup to the OP, and can tell a HUGE difference between the integrated and my HT Omega sound card. Night and day. And an audigy is one step away from modern integrated sound. Get a HT Omega Claro, or a Asus Xonar card, and compare the sound. Not even close, even with shitty headphones. If you are going to drop that much cash on a beast rig, and brag about it on the forums, rolling with integrated sound is pretty silly.

I do extensive music and HD video editing, and have a similar setup to the OP, and can tell a HUGE difference between the integrated and my HT Omega sound card. Night and day. And an audigy is one step away from modern integrated sound. Get a HT Omega Claro, or a Asus Xonar card, and compare the sound. Not even close, even with shitty headphones. If you are going to drop that much cash on a beast rig, and brag about it on the forums, rolling with integrated sound is pretty silly.
    Most people do not need 200 dollar sound cards...

Deleted
    Actually it's a gift from my mother-in-law. I think I will not complain about her for the next few years...

Sabertooth x58 isn't beast =V Also, let's compare and contrast, shall we?

"I do extensive music and HD video editing," I'll stop you right there.

What do most gamers do who don't do extensive music and HD video editing? That's right, they game. For that, today's on-board sound is good for that, and you don't need to dump $100 on a sound card for just gaming. The positional audio and quality of on-board sound are great for gaming, but yes, not for extensive music and HD video editing, because I'd obviously mentioned that on-board sound is good enough for that.

In conclusion: For WoW and other games? No, you don't need a sound card.
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-01-23 at 11:28 AM.

Deleted
    Frankly, I do not believe you. Especially "shitty headphone" part. The only role of a modern sound card is to convert digital signals into modulated analog signals, and you don't need super duper hardware to do that decently. It may very well be possible that one may hear a difference with a good speaker setup as cheaper convertors may trim some frequencies/introduce noise, but you'll need a super-expensive speakers to be able to make that difference. If you hear a difference with your "shitty headphones", the reason is probably some sort of a built-in equalizer on your expensive card which make the sound appear more appealing to you.

And anyway, I don't know a single professional that would use a built-in audio card - that stuff is to rip off "cool" gamers and ignorant melomanes. Same as "golden cables for better music quality". I know a few professional musicians and they all use USB-soundcards, mainly because these soundcards have sound controls and often offer a sound mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by bachok View Post
    I know a few professional musicians and they all use USB-soundcards, mainly because these soundcards have sound controls and often offer a sound mixer.
    Professionals use USB soundcards for two reasons:

- External DAC doesn't take interference from other PC components
    - It's easier to plug in cables when the box is in front of the PC instead of at the back
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post

Nada.
    Creative sound cards aren't really much better than on-board Realtek baseline. I bought one a long time ago when on-board sucked much more than it does now, and only because it was the only thing that was readily available locally... and the thing stinks. Of course I never really noticed the difference until I actually got decent headphones and a system powerful enough to playback more than a few voices at a time.

Well since WoW can still be played on a Pentium 3 I would say you are good to go.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." ~William Faulkner
    "Ever look at the word 'Damage'? - It is clearly right in front of you...DA MAGE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbin View Post
    Well since WoW can still be played on a Pentium 3 I would say you are good to go.
    Maybe on a private server with 0 population... But is that how anyone wants to play?
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely