10+ Year Old Account

Holy turned shadow, please help

Hi there.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...shatar/vickii/

I have followed the FAQ on this site about shadowpriests and i believe i have glyphed, reforged correctly. I am currently doing 8k dps unbuffed on a dummy. Is this low for my gear? If so how can I get it up.

Baring in mind i did not use SW: D on the dummy as it is full health all the time. Will this increase my dps?
    Last edited by Brittany; 2011-01-22 at 08:31 PM.

the reason you cast mind blast with at least one orb is for 2 reasons, first is it gives you emowered shadows which iincreases dot damage by 10%, this is very important and should try to be kept active at all times, and the 2nd is that mind blast does less damage then 1 complete mindflay and only surpasses mindflay with at least 1 orb, (this will most likley change in the new patch with the damage boost to mind blast.

SWD under 25%hp? it is a dps loss yes. but not a very big one, if you need it to keep ur mana up go ahead and cast it every little bit its not gonna kill ur dps but it is not a dps gain until target is under 25%hp.

shadow fiend should be used as an offensive ability and is a HUGE dps boost, after u cast ur dots throw shadow fiend up, if the fight is starting and u need to run into position then cast SWP and DP and shadow fiend then once ur in position throw vampirit touch (mandot). mindflay critz reduce the cooldown on ur shadowfiend by 10 sec, so put shadow fiend (SF) in ur opener and you will see a difference.

make sure ur not clipping ur dots and mindflay this is both a dps loss and a mana loss (which will lead ro an even greater dps) if u go oom from inefficiency ur gonna have to pop dispersion more often if at all and not hitting spells at all times is worste case scenario, dots work so that if u recast a dot with a few seconds on it it will extend the duration of the next dot (only up to a certain amount so dont expect 85 sec DP lol) for the greatest mana efficiency and dps gain recast ur dots with 1 tick left on them, u can get an addon that makes this very easy (mfclip,shadowtimers). DO NOT CLIP MINDLFAY EVER,

EA should always have 5 stacks since ur casting MF, but dont pop AA until u recast ur dots so when u eventually recast ur dots again u will have the 15% dot dmg increase.

TALENTS:
    imp mind blast is usless except in pvp (and i dont even use it in pvp cause im usually focused so hard that can only get dots off before i have to go defensive even with 3.5k resil)

imp PW S is useless also, it sucks even for pvp with the crappy state of the bubble right now , ( spec in it if ur gonna pvp as shadow AFTER the patch) but only for pvp and only after the patch.

take the point from imp sheild and put it in mentaly agility and take the points from imp MB and spec into fade since now u know that ur SF is a dps spell as shadow (and actually does alot of damage)

im bored of typing and gonna go play wow before i gotta go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by tornblazer View Post

TALENTS:
    imp mind blast is usless except in pvp (and i dont even use it in pvp cause im usually focused so hard that can only get dots off before i have to go defensive even with 3.5k resil)

take the point from imp sheild and put it in mentaly agility and take the points from imp MB and spec into fade since now u know that ur SF is a dps spell as shadow (and actually does alot of damage)

Imp mind blast is a must. For pvp however it is useless.

---------- Post added 2011-01-22 at 08:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
    Hi there.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...shatar/vickii/

I have followed the FAQ on this site about shadowpriests and i believe i have glyphed, reforged correctly. I am currently doing 8k dps unbuffed on a dummy. Is this low for my gear? If so how can I get it up.

Baring in mind i did not use SW: D on the dummy as it is full health all the time. Will this increase my dps?
    According to your link, you have no glyphs. You want glyph of mind flay, SWD and SWP. The rest is situational and you can pick up whatever you like. And yes 8k dps sounds about right on a target dummy with your gear. You are also above the hit cap try reforging small amounts of spirit out of your gear. Or better yet get rid of the pure spirit gems.

You should gem intel/spirit for a blue socket bonus. Intel in red and intel/haste for yellow.

You also still have healer enchants (replace those). You also reforged your haste on your ring to spirit, Change it back and you should be at 17% hit cap (almost exactly)
    Last edited by zito; 2011-01-22 at 08:51 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you guys.

I think some of my changes aren't showing up on the armory yet, but I've got exactly 17% hit, and the glyphs reccommended.

I'll work on the gems and enchants now, thanks for the tips. Also what should a shadowpriest doing heroics and starting raids be looking at in terms of dps? about 10k? Thanks.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is hard to make some suggestions if your armory isn't up to date. If you have made some of these changes already, then disregard what I suggest. These follow the basic principle of Intellect > Spirit/Hit > Haste > Crit > Mastery.

Head: Switch to a 20 Intellect/20 Haste gem.
    Shoulders: Switch to a 20 Intellect/20 Haste gem.
    Back: Switch to lightweave embroidery to you cloak. Tailoring is one of the best professions for Shadow Priests because of this enchant.
    Chest: Go with 15 Stats to chest, then eventually 20 when you get an epic chest. Switch to 2 40 Intellect gems.
    Bracers: Change the enchant to 50 Haste, eventually upgrade to 65 Haste when you get an epic upgrade.
    Hands: 40 Intellect would be the best overall choice here, but again if you're set on doing the socket bonus, go with 20 Intellect/20 Spirit.
    Belt: Go with 2 40 Intellect gems and switch your Mastery -> Crit reforge to Mastery -> Haste. If you need some hit after everything, maybe reforge this Mastery to Hit.
    Pants: 40 Intellect is best, but if you want the socket bonus, go with 20 Intellect/20 Haste.
    Ring: Change your Haste -> Spirit reforge to Mastery -> Spirit or Haste
    Boots: Switch to Lavawalker or 50 Haste enchant. Switch to 40 Intellect gem.
    Ring 2: Change your Haste -> Spirit reforge to Crit -> Spirit.
    Trinket 1: Definitely try to find an upgrade to this ASAP. If you have the cash, Dark Moon Card: Volcano is BIS.
    Trinket 2: Fine for now, try to upgrade with Gale of Shadows or Witching Hour Glass if possible.
    Wand: Fine
    Staff: Enchant it and maybe unforge it back to hit if you're low on hit after the changes.
    Last edited by New; 2011-01-23 at 05:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To the guy that said you don't want to clip dots, this is incorrect. It has been changed so that the last tick from the first DoT carries over to your next if you clip the last tick with the new DoT.

Just noticed you said the same thing right under where you said don't clip dots... Confusing.
    Last edited by Salroth; 2011-01-23 at 06:20 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    What I've learned from playing spriests in heroics (can't do raids beacuse I live 8 timezones away from my server) is that shadowfiend should be used as a dps tool instead of manareg.
    I mean between SW: D and Archangel you have no manaproblems and even if you do you still have dispersion (not the best way to reg mana but better than wanding).

And that little sucker hits like a truck. I've seen him crit for around 17k.

Deleted
    Yea, the optimal time of refreshing your dots is exactly right before they expire.

Get Quartz for the casting bar, it is a MUST, especially if you have extra latency and get some add-ons, preferably something that tracks your dots on bars with timers so that you can refresh them at the right time. It's quite impossible to pull a perfect rotation w/o add-ons that are convenient to your eye.