Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricksterjim View Post
    First tank was probably paid by one of the dps to insta que, after that, no clue.
    I do that alot. See people asking for a tank for an insta-queue and I invite them, queue up and leave, sometimes I stay if I feel like doing a heroic. I will leave though if someone isn't carrying their own weight, or constantly breaking CC. Got a city of tol'vir where a boomkin kept breaking the rogue's sap with insect swarm/sunfire trying to boost his dps. I thunder clap/shockwave to get it on me and he blames it on me for pulling, lol wut?
    My sig was stolen, if you find it please contact me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambulanced View Post
    I freely admit, as somebody who tanks regularly now for the short queues, that there is a certain amount of freedom and power that comes from the knowledge that, hey, if they rest of the group sucks, I can drop and be back in an instance in no time. But I don't really make a big deal of it--I have pure dps alts that know the pain of 40 minute queues.

If the group isn't performing up to the minimum requirement to clear the heroic, I'll politely explain that before I drop.

There are two other things that will make me quit an instance early when I'm tanking:

1) If I join a pre-made heroic (2-3+ members from same server/guild) that has poor makeup--such as joining a heroic that has 3 DKs. Hooray for little or no CC whatsoever. (This has become less important now that I'm raidgeared and heroics are aoe-able)

2) If the DPS takes an attitude with me, or tries to tell me how to pull a fight as I'm explaining things. I've cleared these heroics countless times, now. I know what I'm doing--I've got the achievements to prove it. I don't really care if you have this "brilliant" strategy that involves sacrificing a healer. I'll politely respond that I know what I'm doing and I know what I'm comfortable with doing. If they push the issue after that, I'll probably drop. That's not to say I'm not open to new ideas or mechanics I was unaware of...but really, you should hear some of the things people propose.

RE--DPS attitude: Things like (again, using DKs as a reference, as my main is currently my dk and I tank/dps) a frost DK going in and blowing all their cds to spam howling blast, repeatedly, so they can do their massive 40k dps for the 3 seconds they're alive, and then mouthing off to me like I'm a bad tank. I'm not. Learn to play your dps class. You can't DPS when you're dead, and as a DK tank I can safely say that if you pull off me, you're trying to.

TL; DR: It's not the role, it's the player. Rather than blaming the tank, some players should really look at their own performance. 4k dps on heroic bosses isn't enough. If dps are dying to normal, unavoidable aoe during fights, leaving the healer and the tank to try and two-man the boss (which works sometimes, but takes forever) then the healer should really examine their spec/glyphs/gear/playstyle. We all have a job that needs to be done in a group setting--don't hate on tanks just because they have a short queue and aren't afraid to take advantage of it. Hate on players who are rude.
    Take some of your own advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Damntastic View Post
    wotlk champs wants to run through instances like fucking mario

Quote Originally Posted by Griefel View Post
    First of all you should know your kind of thinking is found only among 5% of the DPS present in the LFG system(and that includes my guildies aswell), and that most DPS are uterly useless, like half of them are doing around 5k dps which is nowhere near what is required for any heroic(~8k single target is a decent figure that would not make you feel carried). Now imagine most of the tanks out there including myself have to put up to this bullshit everyday for some stinking 70 VP. You should also know half the DPS playerbase don't even know how to CC although most of them play mages, hunters, rogues or other high CC classes, while intrerupts are virtually never used by DPS and most of the time the tanks and healers will pay for that.
    Second, why don't you try tanking yourself, if you play a class which can go tank on a different spec and PVE alot, it's a good idea to do it. Apart from the fact that you increase the tank representation in heroics, you also learn to deal with people in your shoes but with weaker attitudes and you'll probably grow more respect for those people that WORK for your fun every day in heroics(tanks and especially healers).
    Here's some food for though...
    Kinda what he said. I'm his healer so we both run into this idiocy quite often.
    DPS nowadays think they deserve to get carried.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

And people wonder why there are so few tanks..
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

think about it:

- you are a X class and you wait in queue for 1-2 min max. You join a random heroic. Then something comes up you have 2 choices - continue your run and delay what you "need" to do OR you just leave knowing that it will take you only 1-2min to get into a new one once you are done with whatever has came up.

now consider you are a DPS - same situation - you cant just leave, because you know you will have to wait at least 30-40min. So you get frustrated and because tanks just keep leaving(because of mentioned above reason) you assume they are all a bunch of ego-retards(and some of them are, but not all of them).

Deleted
    i dont have a big Ego, i know im better than everyone else...
    Jokes, but sadly yes a lot of tanks have massive ego's, same with healers, and dps, oh wait.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shambulanced View Post
    I freely admit, as somebody who tanks regularly now for the short queues, that there is a certain amount of freedom and power that comes from the knowledge that, hey, if they rest of the group sucks, I can drop and be back in an instance in no time. But I don't really make a big deal of it--I have pure dps alts that know the pain of 40 minute queues.

If the group isn't performing up to the minimum requirement to clear the heroic, I'll politely explain that before I drop.

There are two other things that will make me quit an instance early when I'm tanking:

1) If I join a pre-made heroic (2-3+ members from same server/guild) that has poor makeup--such as joining a heroic that has 3 DKs. Hooray for little or no CC whatsoever. (This has become less important now that I'm raidgeared and heroics are aoe-able)

2) If the DPS takes an attitude with me, or tries to tell me how to pull a fight as I'm explaining things. I've cleared these heroics countless times, now. I know what I'm doing--I've got the achievements to prove it. I don't really care if you have this "brilliant" strategy that involves sacrificing a healer. I'll politely respond that I know what I'm doing and I know what I'm comfortable with doing. If they push the issue after that, I'll probably drop. That's not to say I'm not open to new ideas or mechanics I was unaware of...but really, you should hear some of the things people propose.

RE--DPS attitude: Things like (again, using DKs as a reference, as my main is currently my dk and I tank/dps) a frost DK going in and blowing all their cds to spam howling blast, repeatedly, so they can do their massive 40k dps for the 3 seconds they're alive, and then mouthing off to me like I'm a bad tank. I'm not. Learn to play your dps class. You can't DPS when you're dead, and as a DK tank I can safely say that if you pull off me, you're trying to.

TL; DR: It's not the role, it's the player. Rather than blaming the tank, some players should really look at their own performance. 4k dps on heroic bosses isn't enough. If dps are dying to normal, unavoidable aoe during fights, leaving the healer and the tank to try and two-man the boss (which works sometimes, but takes forever) then the healer should really examine their spec/glyphs/gear/playstyle. We all have a job that needs to be done in a group setting--don't hate on tanks just because they have a short queue and aren't afraid to take advantage of it. Hate on players who are rude.
    This 100%, and the bolded part happens to me alot. Idiots popping all CDs when I'm trying to LoS caster mobs then whining about aggro. Idiots going all out before the mob and/or boss even gets to me. Seriously just hold off on your CDs, you're useless dead and there is this new thing called having a brain and not pulling aggro.
    My sig was stolen, if you find it please contact me. Thanks.

Deleted
    I am a tank. I do randoms. I am not a douche.

Just saying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kazary View Post
    It is the player. But its also the role that attracts that player.
    I would disagree. I've seen far an away more douchebag DPS than tanks.

I'd say for tanks it's been about a 1:5 for Nice:Jerks, and 1:2 for DPS.

Honestly, I'd prefer to put up with a tank who is a bit arrogant and thinks he can get away with crap than a DPS pulling 6k dps and constantly complaining about the group.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    dear dps who think its with in their right to complain about tanks

i just carried your underperforming ass through the entire instance.
    i blew all my cool downs on trash repeatedly because you couldn't be arsed to follow my marks.
    i had to put up with your trash talking and general stupidity
    i just got called a loot ninja because i needed on offspec gear no one else wanted.
    i have to put up with windex drinking nitwit dps who body pull and yell at me to go faster.
    i am a god damn control freak. why do you think i'm a tank?

damn straight i'm an entitled, elitist douchbag.
    tanking is a thankless, stressful job made worse by dps and healers.

yours.
    a tank
    Dear egotistical Tank

I dps'd 14k dps on that last bossfight, you did 6-8k dps. Also my recout states I've done about x3 more total damage then you thoroughout the entire dungeon
    I MD to you to keep the mobs on you as well as used CC to prevent you taking more damage and mana starve the healer because I know it helps the group clear this dungeon faster
    I didn't trash talk to you unless you did so to me first of all, theres no need to be unpolite to people without reason.
    I don't mind if you need on plate if every one else greeds on it, your entitled to that peice, if theres another plate user in the group and you asked if you could roll on it by him, then i respect you more, If you rolled need and won it off someone who came to this dungeon specifically for that peice, I will call you out on it.
    I never ask a tank to go faster, unless they are purposfully lagging behind for no reason and taking their sweet time unless they are afk
    I'm am not a god damn control freask. I also have a tank.

Damn straight I'm not a entitled, elistist douchbag. I'm actually kind to people unless they give me reason otherwise.
    Tanking is a tankless, stressful job that is made worse by bad dps and healers, but is a rewarding job none-the-less when something goes horribly wrong and everyone came through it because the whole group pulled together and got through it because you tanked as well as you did. And you know even that they don't say it, that they are thankfull, and that you are awesome for pulling off such a feat.

Yours.
    A person who plays, DPS, Tank & healer roles.

When DPS start doing more single target dmg than me and healers stop standing in falling rocks I'll stop being a douche.
    When Healer and DPS stop saying "We don't need to CC just go" which is then followed by a wipe which is then followed by a "learn to tank" then I'll stop being a douche.
    When hunters learn how to play their class and realize they have cc then I'll stop being a douche.
    When warlocks start glyphing for Fear then I'll stop being a douche.
    When dps realize they can cc mid fight and save a wipe, then I'll stop being a douche.
    When mages realize they have an ability called "slow" that works great for keeping certain adds away from boss/tank then I'll stop being douche.

TL;DR
    When I stop feeling like I'm playing an RTS because I have to micro manage everyone's class then I'll stop being a douche.

These complaints were unjustified and few and far between in WOTLK.
    In cat heroics, they are happening 9/10 times. My experience, not exaggerated in the least. DPS do not know their class and have zero awareness outside of staring at recount.

Edit:
    I forgot the big one.
    Learn to fucking interrupt in SFK. I have HoJ on a 1 minute CD.

Deleted
    As goes myself, I was in a heroric on my rogue this morning.
    Deadmines, so should be easy enough, a Warrior and a Druid. Both seem to be able to sign as tanks. The druid begins to argue who should be tanking. Since no one could agree to tank or not, it ends up with both warrior and druid leaves, at the same second it seemed. I sigh and teleport out of dungeon to complete my daily quest in stormwind and mere 2 minutes later, healer leaves, followed by the last dps.
    32 mins of waiting wasted. Wait another 15mins only to think that this is just a waste of time.

I have a warrior tank myself and log on to it. And get the usual instant que for a random hc.
    I see myself as a rather good tank, not only skillwise but also being friendly towards group members.
    I always greet the ppl I meet in randoms and ask them to cc when nessesary. Curage them and throw in some good words like "Good job, keep up the great focus / dps" etc.
    Got Throne of Winds hc. A good set of ppl, nice guys, though one of the dps seemed to talk with himself in turkish. So I asked him, not roughly, but nicely to keep it in english since no1 was responding to him, only to be told to "Shut up". The nice guy that I am, get abit frustrated, and tells him "how should I know who is what and where from". Anyways, that aside, we continue and get down all bosses only wiping at my least favorite - the Wind direction drake boss. But mostly due to the priest being offline, he later gets back and we manage to get the boss down.
    In the end, it all worked out great. Priest showed some nice skills and we all did a good job in the hc. Smoothe run. I was hoping (maybe naively) that most tanks would be like myself (or atleast keep the good mind and thoughts about random ppl in random dungeons) but it keeps getting stamped down when ever I try to find a dungeon on my rogue.

To those tanks who doesnt live up to the stated "guide lines" in the first post:
    Guys, shape up. We are the (what seems like) the most important class atm, due to lack of this class we should be proud and helpfull, not flame or troll others like leaving instantly or even pulling a group of mobs just to get healer & dps killed only to leave before we get our asses handed to ourselves. We should rely on healer and dps as much as they rely on us. So keep the good faith and keep up the good work. Lets make our everytime instant que's a good run for all and not just ourselves

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreakz View Post
    This 100%, and the bolded part happens to me alot. Idiots popping all CDs when I'm trying to LoS caster mobs then whining about aggro. Idiots going all out before the mob and/or boss even gets to me. Seriously just hold off on your CDs, you're useless dead and there is this new thing called having a brain and not pulling aggro.
    So do I. I agree on this as well. If the dps pulls threat off the tank, and the tank is pulling the mobs away to somewhere, or concentrating on another target and that dps refuses to press the ASSIST button. Then that dps deserves to have that mob on him and tank it himself. If he dies. Like your sig says, thats Justice.

---------- Post added 2011-01-22 at 08:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreakz View Post
    So do I. I agree on this as well. If the dps pulls threat off the tank, and the tank is pulling the mobs away to somewhere, or concentrating on another target and that dps refuses to press the ASSIST button. Then that dps deserves to have that mob on him and tank it himself. If he dies. Like your sig says, thats Justice.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well as a well geared and paitent tank I dont usually act like an asshat in runs but as example I was running a pug SFK the other when i joined it was a guild group all but me we did fine 1 shot all the bosses till we got to the 2nd to last boss and the entire group died with in 15 sec and I soloed the boss from 89% to dead! well no harm done I didnt die ;] so the group rezzes and I rezzed btw they did not release and run back while i spent the 7 minutes soloing the boss!!!! So we move on to the last boss well we get to him and we wipe the druid and the healer priest did not dispell the curse that the boss was putting on the group and the healer just couldnt heal through it and then to top it off one of the dps DC's and stayed dc'd for over 10 minutes so for times sake mostly mine I went to vote kick him and it failed ofcourse cus he was one of thier guildies fair enough but then they go to vote kick me! Well the healer and the shaman who now came back both decline to kick me so the other 2 dps start talking shit and call me a POS for trying to him him for DC well anyways we down the boss and I tell em all off. In my experience this has been the problems with tanks running with pugs you have to deal with asshattery like this all the time and IMHO it makes tanks a little more inclined to be a jerk or not do pug runs so enjoy our 40 minutes ques and piss off as many tanks as you can cus you all deserve it in some way or another!

Most tanks are diva's. It's so fucking horrible.

I think this derailed a little bit with the nitpicking on performance. I'm talking about the general attitude of tanks without seeing the performance of the DPS/Healers and even when everyone is doing their job and still act like an asshat. Obviously I have no problem when tanks are rude to DPS/Healers who can't do their jobs, I call out people myself all the time. Just don't assume though that because I am a DPS I am worthless and don't deserve any respect.

i blew all my cool downs on trash repeatedly because you couldn't be arsed to follow my marks.
    i just got called a loot ninja because i needed on offspec gear no one else wanted.
    i have to put up with windex drinking nitwit dps who body pull and yell at me to go faster.

yours.
    a tank

Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post

yours.
    a tank
    Dear egotisitcal tank. I queued as a raid geared survival hunter to help my friend who just hit 85. My DPS more than makes up for his slight lack of it. I do 20k DPS on single target fights. I CC/control everything I can, even when you break it and blame me. I intentionally taunt my CC target after you break it in order to get it back under control it, and then you yell at me for taunting mobs. When the dungeon is over, my damage done is 3x+ than yours, but you still take credit for carrying "the bad DPS".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittygiggles View Post
    As goes myself, I was in a heroric on my rogue this morning.
    Deadmines, so should be easy enough, a Warrior and a Druid. Both seem to be able to sign as tanks. The druid begins to argue who should be tanking. Since no one could agree to tank or not, it ends up with both warrior and druid leaves, at the same second it seemed. I sigh and teleport out of dungeon to complete my daily quest in stormwind and mere 2 minutes later, healer leaves, followed by the last dps.
    32 mins of waiting wasted. Wait another 15mins only to think that this is just a waste of time.

I have a warrior tank myself and log on to it. And get the usual instant que for a random hc.
    I see myself as a rather good tank, not only skillwise but also being friendly towards group members.
    I always greet the ppl I meet in randoms and ask them to cc when nessesary. Curage them and throw in some good words like "Good job, keep up the great focus / dps" etc.
    Got Throne of Winds hc. A good set of ppl, nice guys, though one of the dps seemed to talk with himself in turkish. So I asked him, not roughly, but nicely to keep it in english since no1 was responding to him, only to be told to "Shut up". The nice guy that I am, get abit frustrated, and tells him "how should I know who is what and where from". Anyways, that aside, we continue and get down all bosses only wiping at my least favorite - the Wind direction drake boss. But mostly due to the priest being offline, he later gets back and we manage to get the boss down.
    In the end, it all worked out great. Priest showed some nice skills and we all did a good job in the hc. Smoothe run. I was hoping (maybe naively) that most tanks would be like myself (or atleast keep the good mind and thoughts about random ppl in random dungeons) but it keeps getting stamped down when ever I try to find a dungeon on my rogue.

To those tanks who doesnt live up to the stated "guide lines" in the first post:
    Guys, shape up. We are the (what seems like) the most important class atm, due to lack of this class we should be proud and helpfull, not flame or troll others like leaving instantly or even pulling a group of mobs just to get healer & dps killed only to leave before we get our asses handed to ourselves. We should rely on healer and dps as much as they rely on us. So keep the good faith and keep up the good work. Lets make our everytime instant que's a good run for all and not just ourselves
    I don't care if you're male. Fucking marry me now XD

I play feral tank, so one of my first actions in a group is to set the healer as my focus in case I need to toss an emergency winnervate (usually unnecessary with proper use of cooldowns.... that and feral winnervate is garbage). In a PuG group, I set the classic marks for CC - star for sap, moon for poly, etc. and make sure the group is aware of who will be using which marks and for what. This is assuming I have not been asked directly to AoE pull (welcome back to Wrath, everyone!). After that, I pull at a steady pace until the healer dips below 50% mana, then wait for them to drink.

Really, it's all quite mechanical; "If > Then > Else" situations all around.

Only times I drop group:

A) Real Life getting in the way
    B) Guild needs me
    C) Group is full of pricks

I'll do my best to stick with an unsuccessful group in the hopes of teaching them, but the instant I get a Warrior such as this...

"F U, DOT'N TEL ME HOW 2 PLAY! I M WARING INT GEAR BCUZ IT MAEKS ME SMART ENUF 2 NO HOW 2 CRIT ALL TEH TIME U ELITEST LOZER!"

...I have reached the limits of my patience for the day and will politely tell them that they are the cancer that is killing WoW, apologize to the other players for having the misfortune to be grouped with that player, and then drop.

Barring that sort of situation, I try to stick with the group and be as helpful as possible.