10+ Year Old Account

Lavascale Catfish

So where are you finding the best drop rate.

I found a spot standing on the boat in uldum at 51,40

Uldum 51,40
    Blackbelly Mudfish 76 12.93%
    Lacascale Catfish 209 35.54%
    Sharptooth 267 45.41%
    Junk 36 6.12%
    Total 588

Small sample size but i just got tired of fishing after finishing up the 10K guild achieve last night
    Victoria Aut Mors

I really dont think there are better/worse spots anywhere. Aslong you fish in Uldum or Deepholm and arent at the ocean, you should get similar amouts of lavascales overtime. However IF there are some magic spots, i would like to know since lavascales are the fishes which are hardest to get for the feasts.

If you're into Spelunking, I've found similar percentages in the Deepholme cave where you do Fungalmancer Glop quest except you get Albino Cavefish instead of Blackbelly Mudfish. Albino Cavefish spawn in pools and are sought after for the Caster buff food.

Sharptooth around 50%
    Lavascale Catfish around 30%
    Albino Cavefish around 15% (and 100% in pools)
    Volatile Water around 5%

In addition to the Albino Cavefish the cave is a really nice place to fish. Remember to run around the mushroom not run through it. No mobs at all (except for the occasional screams on the upper level from Glop as he's hunted down by Tharazane daily questers).

There are also several Mining Node spawns in the cave.

It should be noted that with higher fishing skill though, you will get less junk drops. I was effectively at 625 fishing, and only got fish or waters (although it didn't affect the droprate for catfish vs. sharptooth, etc.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea i was at 640 fishing and counted Volatile Water as junk..... only time i ever caught a grey item was if i allowed the "lure" to drop off for a cast or 2
    Victoria Aut Mors

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    i tested two sites that were referred:
    (My fishing skill level is 525 and I completed 150 catches at both sites)

1) Deathwings Fall, Deepholm (I fished close to where the trail of pools intersects with the main pool)
    sharptooth 54%
    catfish 33.3%
    cavefish 10.0%
    volatile water 2.7%

2) Ramkahen, Uldum (I fished off the dock in the lake)
    sharptooth 35.3%
    garbage (driftwood etc.) 32.6%
    catfish 18.6%
    mudfish 11.3%
    volatile water 2.2%
    I can't explain the amount of garbage that I pulled up but it definitely impacted the results)

From this survey, it is definitely better and more profitable to fish in Deepholm if it is your desire to catch Lavascale cats!
    Last edited by Purrwell; 2012-03-20 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purrwell View Post
    From this survey, it is definitely better and more profitable to fish in Uldum if it is your desire to catch Lavascale cats!
    uhh, you've contradicted yourself.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes... sorry... check the correction

Anyone got numbers for inside Tol'vir?

One of the best places to farm Catfish is Gub in ZG. If you can stealth you only need to kill some flies, if not you will also have to kill some crocodiles (or that tiki). One run incl. riding outside is about three minutes (as druid with stealth, killing the crododiles on my DK takes a minute longer). So it's about 15 minute until you reach your 5 instances/hour.
    He will drop one stack of fish out of five possible, two of them (Blackbelly and Algaefin) being worthless, but the rest is just fine (Eel, catfish, sagefish).

Deleted
    Same drop everywhere. You give the fishing system more credit than it deserves. This is one of the reasons it is so boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by safetypro View Post
    If you're into Spelunking, I've found similar percentages in the Deepholme cave where you do Fungalmancer Glop quest except you get Albino Cavefish instead of Blackbelly Mudfish. Albino Cavefish spawn in pools and are sought after for the Caster buff food.

Sharptooth around 50%
    Lavascale Catfish around 30%
    Albino Cavefish around 15% (and 100% in pools)
    Volatile Water around 5%

In addition to the Albino Cavefish the cave is a really nice place to fish. Remember to run around the mushroom not run through it. No mobs at all (except for the occasional screams on the upper level from Glop as he's hunted down by Tharazane daily questers).

There are also several Mining Node spawns in the cave.
    lol didnt kniow there were pools for them. could you tell me where those pools are?

Lost City of the Tol'Vir has a 32.31% catch rate for Lavascale Catfish according to Wowhead (after removing junk items). Catchrate for Deepholm is 27.21% when excluding junk. There are fishing pools in Deepholm, but they aren't fished from all that often. Cathrate for Uldum is 22.11% when excluding coastal fishing (Fathom Eels, Deepsea Sagefish and Murglesnout), junk and only taking a portion of the Volatile Water (a lot of these come from pools and Fathom Eel pools are fished up regularly).

If you can fish in the Lost City on a class that can stealth past trash, that would appear the best option. Deepholm is second and Uldum itself ends up last. Wowhead lists other zones where Lavascale can be fished, but none of those have any decent amount of recorded catches.

Quote Originally Posted by safetypro View Post
    Albino Cavefish spawn in pools and are sought after for the Caster buff food.
    The only use for Albino Cavefish is to craft Deepstone Oil. The only use for that oil is as a reagent for the Sandstone Drake, and for goofing around. The fish that is used for caster food is Deapsee Sagefish, which now spawns in pools on the coast of Twilight Highlands (replacement for the worthless fish that gave +90 crit).
    Last edited by Delaios; 2012-03-21 at 05:01 PM.

Deleted
    My Spot to farm them is Zul'Gurub. I kill Gub and reset the instance , kill him again ... Takes about 3-5 minutes per run and rewards you with http://www.wowhead.com/item=69823#dropped-by . You can also kill some of the other "big" mobs to get Ore or a Maelstrom Crystal.