Deleted

Prime glyphs for PvP

I've been using Glyph of Incinerate, Immolate and Chaos Bolt, but lately I've seen people using Glyph of Conflagrate over the Chaos Bolt one, why is that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    The number of conflagrates you can fit in provides more overall damage than the number of chaos bolts you can fit in, providing you took either glyph. Also, you can't talent into conflagrate dazing it's target.
    This may be true, but on PvP, specially on destro, burst is what counts, and if your conflagrate has 8s CD and your Chaos Bolt has 12s CD, you'll have to wait more time to do huge burst.. correct me if i'm wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off, cata pvp is no longer focused on burst. I've gone in with geared fire mage, and geared destro lock, and not been able to burst a healer down before our CC's break and we're CC'ed in return, or something to that effect. Especially with higher gear levels, the more resilience, the less useful burst becomes.

Second off, imo chaos bolt is terrible right now. It deals barely any more damage than base incinerate, and it's got a 12 second cooldown, I save it for when its unique absorption is actually useful, i.e. against mages w/ armor up, priests, etc. Conflagrate however is one of your two slows, other being shadowflame. Slows are the name of the game when you're playing with other clothies, consider this: Your role as a lock in an arena or BG is to kill and CC. In arena, with diminishing returns, your fear will eventually become useless, to get that rogue or warrior etc off your healer or friend, you stun then slow. Above that, your slow needs you to cast immolate on them, it's one of your largest sources for damage.

tldr; Chaos bolt = incinerate + a little bit of damage + absorption which is useful much less frequently than the slow and damage of conflag.

ps. Forgot that conflag is also much more useful in the fact that it's an instant cast, and can be used while moving.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grievance View Post
    First off, cata pvp is no longer focused on burst. I've gone in with geared fire mage, and geared destro lock, and not been able to burst a healer down before our CC's break and we're CC'ed in return, or something to that effect. Especially with higher gear levels, the more resilience, the less useful burst becomes.

Second off, imo chaos bolt is terrible right now. It deals barely any more damage than base incinerate, and it's got a 12 second cooldown, I save it for when its unique absorption is actually useful, i.e. against mages w/ armor up, priests, etc. Conflagrate however is one of your two slows, other being shadowflame. Slows are the name of the game when you're playing with other clothies, consider this: Your role as a lock in an arena or BG is to kill and CC. In arena, with diminishing returns, your fear will eventually become useless, to get that rogue or warrior etc off your healer or friend, you stun then slow. Above that, your slow needs you to cast immolate on them, it's one of your largest sources for damage.

tldr; Chaos bolt = incinerate + a little bit of damage + absorption which is useful much less frequently than the slow and damage of conflag.

ps. Forgot that conflag is also much more useful in the fact that it's an instant cast, and can be used while moving.
    Thanks for clarifying this to me! I haven't played cataclysm on live yet, just on the ptr, and I barely did some duels and yeah, I realised that thing about burst.. i think they should buff chaos bolt dmg now