Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Top 30 Bosses that stayed unkilled the longest.

These are from the date when it was possible to begin working on them, or the previous hard mode was killed.

Not to suggest this is indicative of their relative difficulty but I find it pretty interesting.

Brown for Vanilla. Green for Burning Crusade. Blue for WOTLK. Red for Cataclysm.
    #1 Ouro - 87 days from the Twin Emperors' death. 26th April 2006.
    #2 C'thun - 86 days from the Twin Emperors' death. 25th April 2006.
    #3 tied Chromaggus - 74 days from Ebonroc's death. 25th September 2005.
    #3 tied Ragnaros - 74 days from Majordomo Executus' death. 25th April 2005.
    #5 Yogg-Saron, Alone in the Darkness - 70 days from One Light in the Darkness. 7th July 2009
    #6 High Astromancer Solarian - 59 days from Magtheridon's death. 24th April 2007
    #7 The Four Horsemen - 56 days from Gothik's death to D&T's kill. August 25th 2006
    #8 Al'ar <Phoenix God> - 48 days from Magtheridon's death. 13th April 2007
    #9 The Lich King (Heroic 25) - 42 Days from Heroic Putricide's death (first pull). March 26th 2010
    #10 Heroic Al'Akir - 36 days from Heroic Conclave of Wind's death. January 22nd 2011.
    #11 Kael'thas Sunstrider <Lord of the Blood Elves> - 31 days from Solarian's death. 25th May 2007
    #12 Magtheridon - 29 days from the first 70 raid kills. 24th February 2007
    #13 Lady Vashj <Coilfang Matron> - 17 days from being unlocked. 29th March 2007
    #14 Leotheras the Blind - 16 days from Hydross' death. 4th March 2007
    #15 Loatheb - 14 days from Heigan's death. 17th July 2006
    #16 tied Heigan the Unclean - 13 days from Noth the Plaguebringer's death. 3rd July 2006
    #16 tied Hydross the Unstable <Duke of Currents> - 13 days from Gruul's death. 16th February 2007
    #16 tied Heroic Cho'gall - 13 days from Heroic Ascendant Council's death. 15th January 2011.
    #16 tied Heroic Nefarian - 13 days from Heroic Atramedes' death. January 9th 2011.
    #20 tied Archimonde <The Defiler> - 10 days from Azgalor's death. 9th June 2007
    #20 tied Gothik the Harvester - 10 days from Instructor Razuvious' death. 30th June 2006
    #22 tied Mimiron Firefighter 25 - 8 days from Ensidia's KnockKnockKnock kill to Firefighter kill. May 1st 2009
    #22 tied Sapphiron - 8 days from Four Horsemen dying. 2nd September 2006
    #22 tied Gruul the Dragonkiller - 8 days from Maulgar's death. 3rd February 2007
    #25 Reliquary of Lost Souls - 6 days from Gurtogg's death. 2nd June 2007
    #26 tied Kel'Thuzad - 5 days from Sapphiron's death. 7th September 2006
    #26 tied Kil'jaeden <The Deceiver> - 5 days from the opening of the third Sunwell gate. 25th May 2008
    #26 tied Sinestra - 5 days from Heroic Cho'gall's death. January 20th 2011.
    #29 tied Heroic Anub'arak 25 - 4 days from Heroic Twin Val'kyr's death. September 6th 2009.
    #29 tied M'uru. 4 days from the opening of the second Sunwell gate. 4th May 2008

Thanks to SK-Gaming's handy list of all time world firsts and wowprogress.com.

http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/163...rld_first_list
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2011-01-24 at 04:54 AM.

very interesting thats good

Pretty interesting i spose

15+ Year Old Account
    Ouro highest? Didn't expect that tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    These are from the date when it was possible to begin working on them, or the previous hard mode was killed.

Not to suggest this is indicative of their relative difficulty but I find it pretty interesting.

#1 Ouro - 87 days from the Twin Emperors' death. 26th April 2006.
    #2 C'thun - 86 days from the Twin Emperors' death. 25th April 2006.
    #3 Nefarian (Blackwing Lair) - 75 days from Chromaggus' death. 26th September 2005.
    #4 Ragnaros - 74 days from Majordomo Executus' death. 25th April 2005.

#7 The Four Horsemen - 56 days from Gothik's death to D&T's kill. August 25th 2006

#15 Loatheb - 14 days from Heigan's death. 17th July 2006
    #16 tied Heigan the Unclean - 13 days from Noth the Plaguebringer's death. 3rd July 2006

#20 tied Gothik the Harvester - 10 days from Instrucotr Razuvious' death. 30th June 2006

#22 tied Sapphiron - 8 days from Four Horsemen dying. 2nd September 2006

#26 tied Kel'Thuzad - 5 days from Sapphiron's death. 7th September 2006
    When the top four are from vanilla, i think something was done right.
    And also how 10 of the 30 are from vanilla, sorta shows that everything was better.

Not to shocked that ouro was #1, that was one of the most hectic fights in the history of wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    And also how 10 of the 30 are from vanilla, sorta shows that everything was better.

Not to shocked that ouro was #1, that was one of the most hectic fights in the history of wow.
    Perhaps they did not have as many guilds/players going for world firsts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Ouro highest? Didn't expect that tbh.
    Because he was optional and everyone wanted to down C'thun first.

On my realm the server first for Ouro went to a guild that actually went for it, it was their only server first.

Notice how these are mostly from Vanilla/BC, when raids were actually difficult and awesome.

Deleted
    It wasn't better, the people were worse. Stop pulling the 'everything was better in vanilla' card, it seriously wasn't. It was unbalanced, nobody knew what to do and everything was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrem View Post
    Notice how these are mostly from Vanilla/BC, when raids were actually difficult and awesome.
    And yet Paragon came out and said T11 was the hardest tier yet.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Karakkonor View Post
    It wasn't better, the people were worse. Stop pulling the 'everything was better in vanilla' card, it seriously wasn't. It was unbalanced, nobody knew what to do and everything was horrible.
    I didn't say better. I said difficult and awesome. 40man raids? Yeah I want that again.

---------- Post added 2011-01-24 at 02:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Foibles View Post
    And yet Paragon came out and said T11 was the hardest tier yet.
    The word of Paragon is the word of God...

Yeah, I was going to say C'thun, but come to think of it, we all ignored Ouro until after C'thun back then.

Before more people start claiming it's because vanilla was "better"--no, that was not why, at least not for C'thun and Ouro. C'thun and Ouro were too buggy to be killable for a huge amount of time after guilds started getting to them.

Nefarian and Ragnaros were both significantly harder than the content before them in their own dungeons and acted as gear checks. So while everyone got up to Majordomo/Chromaggus quickly and shortly after that beat both those bosses, Nef and Rag were both harder while simultaneously requiring weeks of gear gathering from their own dungeons to down. Not to mention Sons not spawning and Rag despawning, Nef resetting constantly, et cetera.

Vanilla raids were a bug fest. It's not all rose-colored, though a lot of people seem to have these delusions that everything was awesome back then.

why does everyone think its the "oh vanilla raids soo hard zomg"??
    in vanilla, there wernt tons of guilds forcing themself for world firsts.
    there were no websites devoted to "how to" on the bosses, holding your hands through every stage of the fight
    there were no boss mod addons properly developed or accuratly working.
    noone shared tactics, when a guild killed a boss, there tactics were kept in the guild for a long time.
    Gear now is 100% itemised for your character, you can gain the maximum dps, healing or tanking, back then you had spirit on warrior gear, spell pentration on healer gear, etc etc, you played with wot you got.

fights like yogg saron with zero keepers, with no boss mods, no how to hold my hand walk through the fight, and non-itemised gear, would easily match the longest time to kill at the correct teir level.

You people say this stuff is easy, yet its spoon fed to us all.

This. Players were worse, encounters were simpler but overtuned and the raiding scene was completely different from what it is now. Anyone telling themselves that broken bosses, boring mechanics and terrible trash made for a better WoW is kidding themselves. WoW hipsters \o/

People learned faster in vanilla, balance was never to bad. The only thing that could be considered unbalanced would be the classic "rogues can stunlock WTF" argument and healing was a little bit off to but it all worked in a perfect synergy.

And dont say, "o no there were flaws, it sucked" because every expansion has had flaws and unique things that failed and unique things that were perfect.

Deleted
    Imo, thats what made it good, not horrible.
    WoW is no longer just a "game" to alot of people. They work there life around a game. That said I loved TBC the most and thats when WoW was at its most "hardcore" so I guess I also liked the game when it became more serious so to speak.

The list is very intresting reading though, cheers for the post.

Hydross was an awesome fight and the pull a complete bitch but I reckon its so high because of the resistance gear that needed farmed.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    saying 11 was hardest i really dont think so, it took what little over a month to have every single boss killed on heroic now, raids in wolk we a joke, just like cata atm really all fights are is dont stand in this run from this, their pretty much not even gear checks if u noticed most world first are members in 50% blue heroic gear, which is much like how prebc days were wish im glad, but ill say bliz did do right by cata its much more challanging then wolk ( though trib to immortaly was hard i admit) but Prebc still wins in raids getting 40 peeps to work 2gether was the challange its really simple 2 get 10 skilled members to down bosses pretyy quick in cata hence so fast world first.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post

Bhahaha! You really think that?! Hahaha, oh, jeez, let me whipe the tears out of my eyes. Then let me come over and pull off your rosetinted glasses.

The only reason that shit stayed unkilled for any duration in vanilla was bugs. Let us carefully note, the amount of time from Lady Sinestra's first pull to Hotfixes: Sub 1 hour, infact as paragon notes, there were hotfixes DURING the fights. Now compare that to C'thun... how long till they patched out hideous showstoppers that made him UNkillable... 2+ months.
    Current Haterade® flavor: #$%@ you cherry

Very fun thread
    Didn't even know any list such as this existed (Tho I must admit I never really searched for one).

Anyway, nice one!

Also worth mentioning that Vanilla was also when guilds like Paragon and Ensidia either didn't exist (or at least in their current state), and when dungeons were either so buggy,gated, or server-crashy (and not immediately hotfixed during the encounter) so as to hinder content.

Can't just attribute everything to things being "harder" in Vanilla, although I will agree that was certainly a byproduct of a much less developed game at the time.