Idea for a new mage attack.

As if the game were sometimes unforgiving itself, I thought of a new spell Arcane mages could cast that would make playing a mage even more interesting.

The idea of a high risk/high reward attack sounded interesting to me as a way for players to once again, really think about using an ability. That being said, The attack I have thought of would do 2 things. 1. It gives the caster a stacking buff to that spells damage. 2. It causes a gradual blinding debuff to the caster. The idea is that you would spam the spell during times of safety where you wouldn't have to move or really be aware of your surroundings in a boss fight. As you spam the spell, your vision slowly blurs and become brighter and brighter until you can no longer see or are really aware of what you are doing. When you know it's time to get moving and you REALLY need to be able to see, you have 2 options, Let the debuff tick off gradually like when you are trying to sober up from an alcoholic drink in game, or use a 10 or so second cast to restore vision by 10% per second.

What does the forum think?

Deleted
    Or just a spell without any blinding at all like... arcane blast?

Seconding Ainariela's suggestion. I think you're on to something. Replace blinding with mana, and vision restore with evocate, and I think we might be getting somewhere!

I see no real risk with AB. No punishment. Lore wise, the idea is that magic consumes you and makes you very powerful, but you lose your sensibility. Perhaps it is this idea that drove the Night Elves away from using magic.

---------- Post added 2011-01-24 at 11:10 AM ----------

I see what you are saying, ed. The spell COULD just drain the hell out of your mana. When you are casting the spell, you have a chance to proc a free "evocate" that will restore the mana.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    So...

a stacked high-mana consuming high damaging spell with an occasional chance of costing no mana?

You have that already

It's called Arcane Blast with Clearcasting
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Deleted
    I have an even better idea! Let's have a new spell that roots you in the ground, the more rooted you are the more damage you do but to get unrooted you have to use a long channel on a, let's say, 2 minute cooldown. Wouldn't it be great!