Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

DPS difference of Hurricane vs. Power Torrent

Hey all, looked around a bit but didn't find much but...

I got Incineratus last night, and have about 20k gold burning a hole in my pocket. How much better is PT than Hurricane? I could probably get the enchant for about 11k. While I'm sure it all depends on personal opinion whether it's worth it or not, I'm just curious as to how much of an increase I could expect in DPS.

Thanks!
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Dont buy enchants that costs more then 1k.. Its just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedbastard View Post
    Dont buy enchants that costs more then 1k.. Its just silly.
    This

I got Incineratus last night also and hurricane is the enchant I went with

10+ Year Old Account
    Until the price of PT comes WAY down I'll be sticking with Hurricane. There is no need to spend half your bank roll on a single enchant.

If you have 20k, and you want to spend it on raid gear, I'd recommend buying a volcanic deck if you haven't yet (
    Edit: for the volcanic deck, it's 18-22k on my server, but I was able to buy the cards to build it for 14k.).

That being said, I'd like to know the answer to this too. Hopefully at some point our guild can start providing the crystals needed for weapon and chest enchants, but right now they're still not common enough, although we are sharding a few things here and there. But having an idea of the DPS increase, even if it's just PP, would be interesting.

as much as i agree with not spending more then 1k. u need power turrent. whoever tells u differntly is dumb. i grouped with a mage who wanted to see dps at a dummy and with my totems and him being really undergeared...he sustained about30K dps and spiked to 37.3k with just his intel buff and my totems...so if u think ur not gonna get an upgrade for a while then yes get power turrent. if not, stay with hurricane.

for priest i believe haste is best.. shadow priest anyway

Quote Originally Posted by abpapollo View Post
    i grouped with a mage who wanted to see dps at a dummy and with my totems and him being really undergeared...he sustained about30K dps and spiked to 37.3k with just his intel buff and my totems...
    Sustained for how long? 5 seconds? An "under geared" mage cannot by any miracle of nature pull "sustained 30k dps" on a test dummy with just self buffs and totems.

As for Power Torrent, I'd say 500 int greatly outweighs how much was it, 200 haste? Unless somehow with your stat weights, haste is worth 2.5x more than intellect. Just make sure that if you DO get Power Torrent, you use it on a weapon that you're going to have for a while, IE a 359.
    Last edited by Vook; 2011-01-26 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll run a simulation between the two of them for you when I get home. Unless some one wants to beat me to it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks New!

And yes of course PT would be for a 359, I just got Incineratus and won't upgrade for a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hurricane is 450 haste and it can double proc occasionally. for specs that value haste pretty highly the dps difference isnt that big.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used a range of profiles to show any possible DPS changes across gear levels:

Priest_Shadow_T11_359 Power Torrent: 21442dps
    Priest_Shadow_T11_359 Hurricane: 21227dps
    Difference: 215 DPS

Priest_Shadow_T11_372 Power Torrent: 24450dps
    Priest_Shadow_T11_372 Hurricane : 24242dps
    Difference: 208 DPS

My own 357 profile Power Torrent: 20868dps
    My own 357 profile Hurricane: 20637dps
    Difference: 231 DPS

So you're looking at about an average increase of 218 DPS by choosing Power Torrent over Hurricane. Hopefully this was helpful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Devlin1991 View Post
    Hurricane is 450 haste and it can double proc occasionally. for specs that value haste pretty highly the dps difference isnt that big.
    wasnt this only for classes who use magic & melee at same time
    or dualwield

also i heard PT is just beter problem atm is price.
    int will always be beter then haste.
    thats my opinion at least
    if i get the chance i would take PT over Hurricane

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Extremely helpful New, thank you. Clearly it's not worth it at all to get it over Hurricane, especially with the cost.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are probably better DPS upgrades for the money out there. Such as someone said previously, Dark Moon Card: Volcano if you haven't picked that up yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, unless you are on bleeding edge content its just too pricey. Wait awhile until the price drops a lot. Once epics start being DEed the price will plummet.

it is worth it...500sp is a lot, and if everyone in your raid thinks the same way and cheeps out then you lose a lot of overall raid dps, now if you had a blue weapon then it's not worth it but your purple one you will have a very long time

My guild has so many epic drops disenchanted meanwhile, we get half of the Shards from guildbank and only have to buy the rest.

Only buy it if you can answer "yes" to the following questions:

1. Do you have 20k gold to spare (derp question).
    2. Is it the highest DPS increase that 20k gold will get you? (hint: if you don't have darkmoon card: volcano, that'd be a "no")
    3. Is DPS the reason your raids are not progressing faster? (if you're dying because you're healers suck, then why throw money at something that isn't the gating factor for your progression?)
    4. If you answered "yes" to 3, is your DPS off by a bit, and not by a lot? (if you're DPS is way off, you have bigger problems than using the swankiest enchants).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good questions Dusk, and New has shown it's just not worth it.

All of you are all over Volcano though, curious as to why? If it's because it's easily accessible on AH fine, but personally I'm doing BRC daily for the Witching Hourglass, which is higher on the gearlist than Volcano. Does shadowpriest.com have that wrong??