Deleted

Smile Best Profs for a shadow priest (PVE)

Hi folks,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to look at this post, secondly, what are the best professions for casters or more specifically a shadow priest in pve raiding. From WOTLK I have maxed JC and Tailoring for the 3x 67 int gems and the Tailoring cloak enchant (Lightweave Embroidery) which is getting a nice buff in the next patch.(Proccing +int instead of +sp)

Lately due to all the patch notes ive been reading I just wanted to ask on the mmo community if there are any better combinations then Tailoring and JC to get the max benefit from being a dps caster. I believe Tailoring is the best at present so possibly I could change my JC to enchanting? Alchemy for the flask bonuses? Blacksmithing for the extra sockets? Engineering for the cogwheels?

Answers much appreciated, apologies if this has been asked hundreds of times already I have looked through 10 pages of posts and havent come across it.

Deleted
    Well at the moment i am running with jc/engi on my shammy and alchem/engi on my priest. Honestly i believe that alchem/jc is the best profession combo ( longer and better elixir's and 3x uber gems)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurgix View Post
    Well at the moment i am running with jc/engi on my shammy and alchem/engi on my priest. Honestly i believe that alchem/jc is the best profession combo ( longer and better elixir's and 3x uber gems)
    Thanks for the quick answer but I was hoping for someone to maybe quantify each of the professions bonuses or give a difinitive answer as to which are most beneficial for casters.

Deleted
    They all equal out.

Basically, every Profession gives a +80 to main stat bonus over someone who doesn't have that profession. For example, Alchemy gives you the Flask of Enhancement for 5-Mans, and +80 to the effect of every Flask you drink. The tooltip doesn't show that, but a Flask of Draconic Mind gives 380 Int instead of 300. Inscription offers you a 135 Int on Shoulders, whereas everyone else just gets 55. JC offer you three gems, each 27 Points better than the usual, which equals to 3*27 = 81 points. Blacksmithing offers two extra sockets for two +40 Gems, equals 80 total. Tailoring has the Embroidery (Int proc, that averages out to +80 Int). Leatherworking has their Bracer Enchant which is huge, and doesn't have a comparable general enchant. Enchanters can enchant both rings with +40, yielding +80 total.

JC is _marginally_ better than the most, and with 4.0.6. Engineers will get a huge boost, but their gadgets tend to backfire when you really don't need it. If you TRULY want to min/max, go with Engineering and JC or Leatherworking. Their bonuses tend to be the best available, or will be shortly. If you don't crave for every single point, any combination of crafting professions at skill 500 will suffice, as they are basically all equal.
    Last edited by mmoceaf424ea73; 2011-01-25 at 01:10 PM.

Deleted
    All professions give "roughly" +80 stats, although JC runs at +81 at the moment

Engineering for a caster is wonderfully strong, as the on-use glove enchant grants 480 intellect for 12 seconds every minute (10 seconds at patch 4.0.6)

Leatherworker also currently grants a bigger primary stat bonus as it gives 130 to wrists, although again, next patch that evens out with the new enchants being added.

Tailor cloak enchants are also extremely good for you, although I'm unsure on the definate "dps increase" of any of them as I don't have a tailor myself, and as such have never really looked into it

Deleted
    Thanks alot Anassi, much appreciated that answers my question completely

I think people have probably covered the main ones, I'd like to see some spreed sheet data on Lifeblood though giving how valuable a stat haste is for shadow atm. It would probably depend a lot on what hit bracket your in with your current gear. (480 haste 20secs 2min cd - mini bloodlust)

10+ Year Old Account
    I roll with Engineering for the Synapse Springs, epic killshades, and Nitro boosts (not as much as in wrath, unfortunately) and Tailoring for the enchants. They pair nicely for a Spriest but JC is probably better, especially if you already have it.
    Stelmaria | Phantasien

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Tailoring + any of the professions that grant +80 intellect.

Sorry, just to clarify, haste procs are very bad for us, we want static haste, so no herbing.
    I personally do not like engineering, it's the fotm thing to do atm, and my guild has 6 engineers in our 10 man, so I never even considered it.

I would do tailoring + enchanting/alch/inscript.
    Last edited by smashzu; 2011-01-26 at 02:42 AM.