Question 2v2 Rating change after a win/lose

a friend and myself have been doing arenas for a week or so. we've gotten to 1500 and started having trouble here. whenever we win an arena, we get only about a 9 addition to our rating.. when we used to get around 96. and we see other teams that beat us get a 96 rating, and we don't understand why our increase is so little.

any ideas on why this is happening?

You're winning vs people worse than you, hence the low increase. You're also losing vs people "worse" than you if they're getting 96 rating.

You're in the exact position that my team is in. Of course, I'm running Fire Mage / Ret Paladin, so we're not really destined for Glad to begin with.

But to answer your question, the reason is, because at that MMR, you are facing the "faceroll" comps. Meaning you're seeing a lot more Hpally/Warrior, Frost Mage/Rogue, Disc Priest/Frost Mage, etc than you are Spriest/Boomkin, Feral/Ret, etc. Their MMR is usually lower than yours, and they're climbing their way up. So when you lose, you lose a lot of rating, but when you win, you'll get maybe 10 points if the Arena Gods are smiling on you.
    [06:15:34][2] [Evilrogue]: Guys dont be jelous becuase i have a life.....im really good looking and ur not, and i got a Gf
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Navigator: Captain, our scanners have picked up a QQ post.
    Captain: On screen!
    Crew: What do you make of it Captain?
    Captain: Clearly L2P issues. Carry on...

A similar thing is occurring with my 2v2 team. While I may not understand all of the workings of the arena rating system, it seems strange to me that at 1600 rating when we win a match against a similarly ranked team we gain 10-20 rating, and then lose to the same group in the next match they gain 96 rating. I expected that the rating change earned for a win at higher rating would decrease, however I don't understand why other teams seem to still gain so much in defeating us and we gain so little when defeating them.
    *I should also mention that team with a higher matchmaking value than us are earning 96 rating, not just teams with lower matchmaking value who are considered "worse" than us and should earn more for winning.
    Last edited by Anowon; 2011-01-25 at 03:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well at low ratings you can't lose much rating and if you beat a higher rated team you get alot more points. When your team was fresh you were getting alot of course then in the 1500 bracket you get points based on the other teams rating that you beat.

There is the team rating and personal rating, then there is the match making rating which is used to make similarly ranked opponents. You get matches with MMR and the points come from the rating.
    Last edited by Thrayne; 2011-01-25 at 03:25 PM.

how do i fix this? just keep winning?

Depends on how you define "fixing".

You get a high amount of points (max. 96) if your team rating (TR) is not close to your matchmaking rating (MMR). Once your TR catches up to your MMR which in your case was around 1500, you will get around 10-15 points for teams with a similiar MMR. You won't ever get more than +/- 25 points (which only happens when you beat a team with a much higher MMR than yours) unless you make a new team. If you want your MMR (and TR) to rise, you need to defeat teams who have a higher MMR than you do.

Also, @Anowon: This happens if they are playing with a much lower TR than their MMR, e.g. playing up a new team.

Typically you only get 96 points when you first create the team and face teams with a much higher mmr. In your case, once you settled in to the 1500 area you only get a few points per win since most of the opponents are near your mmr. The teams gaining 96 points after beating you most likely just created the team and have a far lower mmr.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphincter View Post
    Typically you only get 96 points when you first create the team and face teams with a much higher mmr. In your case, once you settled in to the 1500 area you only get a few points per win since most of the opponents are near your mmr. The teams gaining 96 points after beating you most likely just created the team and have a far lower mmr.
    MMR doesn't matter tho . Just the TR