Page 1 of 35
... LastLast

What happens after you die?

I might get in trouble for this but oh well.. I think its an interesting topic.

I guess I just try to think logically about this. I'm not religious, so I don't particularly believe in afterlife. However, I do find it interesting that scientists have a theory on multiverses. Multiverse is a theory that more than 1 universe (our known universe) exists. With that said... is it logical to think that if multiverse did exist, you would never truly die? You exist on multiple universes with different outcomes and different events.

Example: In this universe I am married with a son and will likely die of old age. However, lets say in a parallel universe I exist but I never get married, never have children, and die of a car accident.

This is all just theory obviously, its just fun to talk about.

15+ Year Old Account
    Multi-verse theory is the theory of there being a universe for every possible outcome, example, a universe where Germany won World War 2. Has nothing to do with if you die, you go to another universe. The you in that universe would be speaking German and stuff like that.

you run back and try again, or you spam "rex plz" with the rest of the scrubs.

You better die rich, that way you can pay for the repair bills

10+ Year Old Account
    Here sec let me go find out.
    *Bang*
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

You'll hear a voice, a soft calming voice whispering to you,
    and you'll hear the words;
    "Respawn in 5... 4... 3..."

Crisis on Infinite Earths. DC has already done this. In your line of thinking if you die in this universe, the you of another might still be in another universe somewhere, but here you would still die, painfully or slowly and not just go to another universe. When you die, you just die. You don't have a consciousness that transcends across multiple planes of existence.

Anyways, this is just my opinion on your topic. Good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there is no continuing exsistence after we die, then it's all pointless and hopefully a meteor smashes this place to bits. There is far too much sadness outweighing the good on Earth.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope you brought your wallet... 'cause the rent in Hell gets paid in advance!

On a serious note though, I like to think the Greeks belief in the afterlife was right. I mean, it sounds pretty nice (at least for those who lived good lives). However when I truly stop to think about I get the heebie jeebies and stop thinking about it. What if we just stop existing? That there really is nothing after dying. I find it to be a sad and depressing thought really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, scientists discovered recently some radiation ripples that imply that there have been multiple big bangs from the past and that leads them to think that there will be more in the future. I think we're in kind of a cosmic loop, we're here, and we'll be here again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krull View Post
    Well, scientists discovered recently some radiation ripples that imply that there have been multiple big bangs from the past and that leads them to think that there will be more in the future. I think we're in kind of a cosmic loop, we're here, and we'll be here again.
    Hopefully next time, birds get the brainpower. Flying would be aweeessomme!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    Yeah it would. Thumbs are totally overrated.

Deleted
    People who died from natural causes, old age and such, wont rebirth somewhere else, because they could have avoided that accident, they could have been healthier and so on.

But people who got murdered, got their life ruined in someway will be rebirthed because some f*ckf*ce ruined their last last life so they couldn't enjoy their life all the way

( Im not saying I belivie in this, its just something ive been thinking about )
    Last edited by mmocc5b6c284d6; 2011-01-25 at 07:03 PM.

After you die, you're dead. There is no after. The rest of the universe keeps spinning without you while worms feed on your corpse. I think it was XKCD that explained it so eloquently with lego blocks, but I don't have the link.
    Grasping for immortality in any abstract theory or irrational belief just takes away from the life you have now. Life may be common, but it is no less valuable for it.

Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post

I agree... I would love to drop a duece on someone while airborne.

You get reborn without any knowledge from your prior life.

Most likely... nothing. Based on string theory, it's only your end in this particular dimension/universe. So nothing to worry about ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Multi-verse theory is the theory of there being a universe for every possible outcome, example, a universe where Germany won World War 2. Has nothing to do with if you die, you go to another universe. The you in that universe would be speaking German and stuff like that.
    Everyone always uses Germany winning WW2 when giving a possible example for alternate universes, for some reason. But there will be countless ones like this, there will also be some where ww2 never happened, others where it hasn't been resolved yet, others where Hitler got hit by a bus on his first day on the job and so on, as you say, every possible outcome.

Anyway, when you die, you're dead.

Remember what it was like during the billions of years before you were born? Thats what being dead is most likely like. There's no evidence for any of afterlife, and no conceivable way of one existing, so in my opinion is daft to believe in one.

I guess what I mean then is... when you die, thats it. However, you never truly stop existing if there was such thing as multi-verse.

There are two possible outcomes (or more, i can't possibly comprehend the vast amounts different scenarios there could be).

You die, and consciousness leaves you and therefore everything ceases to exist. You feel no pain, joy, pitty, love or empathy. It was if you were never alive, without consciousness you can have no memory. Who's even to say exististence carries on once you die? what if everything in the world is just projected by you through your mind. A series of events created by chemical reactions occuring in your brain on an entierly different realm. Does free will even exist? Are you really in control of your actions, how do we not know we arn't just programmed (genetically? Socially?) to perform actions in each situation that is presented to us? You could argue that the decisions you make are of your own free will. But "free will" is often stifled by Social pressures to follow a certain "code". Laws as an example are social constructs built to restrict the act of "free will" they of course can be broken but by far the majority abide by these. Because they agree? not always. Because it is easier? most likely. The waste of energy is always a defining factor in any action performed. Maybe deep down these laws only refine how a human acts to reduce energy loss, Maybe what we describe as Morals are merely projections of self serving survival tactics to avoid energy loss. As an example the energy required to raise a child into an adult is large. Therefor if the child dies the energy is wasted, the longer it survives the more useful it is to society as a whole and less energy is wasted.

Or

There could be Afterlife, or Rebirth. If i may i will quote Wikipedia cites on Buddhism about rebirth.
    Rebirth refers to a process whereby beings go through a succession of lifetimes as one of many possible forms of sentient life, each running from conception to death. Buddhism rejects the concepts of a permanent self or an unchanging, eternal soul, as it is called in Hinduism and Christianity. According to Buddhism there ultimately is no such thing as a self independent from the rest of the universe (the doctrine of anatta). Rebirth in subsequent existences must be understood as the continuation of a dynamic, ever-changing process of "dependent arising" ("pratītyasamutpāda") determined by the laws of cause and effect (karma) rather than that of one being, transmigrating or incarnating from one existence to the next.
    What i take away from that, is the throughout the environment things are ever changing. You can't exist independant of the environment. People try to individualise themselves, some how we are seperate from existence of life around us. But we are not, we are all part of one large ever changing organism (Earth). For we cannot survive without it, and when you die your "energy" or "soul" whichever you wish to interpret this as. Will be consumed and recycled back into the environment. You may then be reborn as new life elsewhere on the planet. We all know what you eat is represented in your health and well being of both your body and mind? Maybe it can be taken a step further and you may once again have consciousness in another body. There is nothing stopping you believeing this, it makes the thought of dying much easier. Religions spurt up from these sorts of questions and they provide answers (even if made up) for people to hang on to.

I good video just realeased on Youtube, Delves into some scientific research about this. Which is interesting but also to understand. It talks about consciousness and how the environment interacts with a person. It would be a good idea to have wikipedia open to search terms and learn what they mean when they are talked about to gain a better understanding.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbh5l...&feature=feedf

If all there is, is now. In whatever subjective way. enjoy your life, you may only have one. Don't waste it. Do what makes you happy. What you love. And personally don't cumple to social pressures, your life is your own, And i don't remember signing a contract before i was born that said i had to be unhappy to fufil my duty to society.

If you can take anything away from what i have said, is there is so much variability in EVERYTHING to do with real life, that it is you yourself who has to make the choice of what you believe what you don't. If you come with an open mind while applying skepticism to weed out the more bizzare ideas you may just find something that make sense to you.

Anyways i've rambled on for a bit. There is only one truth. That is we all will find out whats after death someday even if we are or arn't conscious of it, theres no need to worry death is just another journey we all must take.
    Last edited by Hombo; 2011-01-25 at 08:01 PM.