Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivpiv View Post
    From what i´ve seen in this post, screenshots info and what not. The game is just horrible.. THe ingame gfx looks ancient pixelated and so on.
    People really set their standards way to low when it comes to MMO´s they really do.. I´ve played Wow since vanilla and it is the ONLY MMORPG that i would waste money on today. It still lacks on the graphics side, but it makes up for it in the controls department. All other mmo´s have delays on abilities, lag and all sorts of other fundamental problems that im just not willing to over time through thousands of dollars at.

How can these graphics satisfy anyone ? i know its a beta and there proberly is alot of rendering and whatnot going on still, but this is the final cut that they decided to to release? it looks like a game from the mid 90s.. And your willing to not alone buy it, but pay a monthly subscribtion(assuming its not free to play) for it?

You people have way to much money and way to shitty taste, im going to bet that this game will end up having the exact same issues as War online.. Shitty graphics, laggy gameplay and a terrible looking interface..

So far what ive seen, read up on this game i give it 2/10 this game is supposed to compete with Wow, Aion, Eve and the upcoming SW MMO with these graphics?!!

hahahaha
    You judge the graphics from screenshots? From what graphics settings? So many people have stated that they are only able to run the game at medium settings with any kind of smoothness. I run the game at ultra settings, not quite maxed but close, and would say they are quite good. They are not the best, as I stated in my previous post, but they are definitely not bad. Saying that the graphics are circa 1990s is hyperbole, period.

I also don't agree with those that say the game is laggy or clunky. This has to be a system specific issue. The game runs really smooth on my computer. Smoother than WoW, which I find surprising. More to the point, what do the graphics really have to do with making a fun game anyway? Some of the best games out there are ten or more years old. Do you complain about their graphics now? Even some newer games have intentionally gone with less (much less) impressive graphics and turned out to be huge successes. Minecraft is crazy successful. It's graphics are abysmal compared to today's standards and it's game play is simplistic yet tons of people enjoy it.

It bothers me, frankly, that some people have to go out of their way to make people feel bad for the choices they make. Choices that have zero bearing on themselves. Furthermore, saying something "sucks" and will "fail" with little constructive criticism is little more than immature behavior that makes their opinions less credible or at least less wanted. Do you really want people to pass off your thoughts and opinions as mere child's blathering? If you are going to do something, at least do it right and put some effort into it.

-Schark
    This is what happens when you meet a stranger in the Alps!
    Last edited by Schark; 2011-01-31 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepitobenito View Post
    No, actually, you're being ridiculous. I played Warcraft before WoW (yes, WoW is based on a pre-existing franchise, shocking I know). It built its character on a foundation of taking itself only sort of seriously, and having a good blend of comic relief mixed with good stories, visual style and characters.

How exactly is my point invalid because people love Star Wars? My point was Rift has no identity because it looks like a generic fantasy setting with nothing about it that stands out as unique. TOR will have full voice acting, which will set it apart from others. What does Rift have? You play as elves in dwarves in a cut-and-paste fantasy environment. Why should I read all the ingame lore to get a sense of identity for a game? Identity does not necessarily mean reading text; it can also mean what you take away from the visual style and presentation of the game. What I take away from Rift is that it looks like World of Warcraft with a new coat of paint, and that it takes itself more seriously.

I'm not one of those people who clutches onto WoW as the end-all MMO, but I AM one of those people who is now skeptical after playing, and being burned by, other MMOs that looked great at the time, which could potentially overthrow my urge to go back to WoW time and time again (Aion, looking at you). And Rift doesn't even look all that great if I'm honest. Like I said, I like the rift system, but beyond that, there's just absolutely nothing grabbing my interest. Why invest more time into a game just like WoW, especially when you already have people you play with in the current game? I'll wait for an MMO that dares to colour outside the lines.
    I like the way that his point is you dont know enough about RIFT's lore, then you go into a rant about knowing warcrafts lore...just GJ

TOR will have voice acting...so does wow...so will RIFT? World of Warcraft is all about the lore, if you look around the forum threads you'll occassionally see posts about people being bored now they feel the main bad guy, lich king, is dead and they feel they have nothing left to do even with deathwing.

Oh and since your determined to be biased towards anything other than rift, "rift looks like a generic fantasy" well of it does you ...., its the same as if you dont know the lore of world of warcraft, for 2 years I just thought it was a lotr rip off until I actually played it <.<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    You must have been unlucky, I downloaded the thing installed it and connected immediately without any problems.
    Same, I downloaded the client in 2,8MB/s. My friend had issues downloading but opened his firewall or something then downloaded it almost instantly.

---------- Post added 2011-01-31 at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Schark View Post
    You judge the graphics from screenshots? From what graphics settings? So many people have stated that they are only able to run the game at medium settings with any kind of smoothness. I run the game at ultra settings, not quite maxed but close, and would say they are quite good. They are not the best, as I stated in my previous post, but they are definitely not bad. Saying that the graphics are circa 1990s is hyperbole, period.

I also don't agree with those that say the game is laggy or clunky. This has to be a system specific issue. The game runs really smooth on my computer. Smoother than WoW, which I find surprising. More to the point, what do the graphics really have to do with making a fun game anyway? Some of the best games out there are ten or more years old. Do you complain about their graphics now? Even some newer games have intentionally gone with less (much less) impressive graphics and turned out to be huge successes. Minecraft is crazy successful. It's graphics are abysmal compared to today's standards and it's game play is simplistic yet tons of people enjoy it.

It bothers me, frankly, that some people have to go out of their way to make people feel bad for the choices they make. Choices that have zero bearing on themselves. Furthermore, saying something "sucks" and will "fail" with little constructive criticism is little more than immature behavior that makes their opinions less credible or at least less wanted. Do you really want people to pass off your thoughts and opinions as mere child's blathering? If you are going to do something, at least do it right and put some effort into it.

-Schark
    This is what happens when you meet a stranger in the Alps!
    Same for me, game is running really smooth and looks really good. I personally like the casting animations, they are a lot more complex than in wow where the characters spins his hand a bit or thrusts it forward once.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Downloaded to give it a try.

Made a mage Necromancer, reached lvl5 didn't had much time for more.

- The thing i liked most is the graphics although with everything at max when AA is on x4 or higher fps are getting a huge hit averaging on ~20-30.
    - The casting animations and effects are awesome.
    - I didn't liked at all the very dark-ish environment and most of all the movement animation it's beyond bad and it's totally destroying the nice feeling from the polished textures.
    - Last but not least the interface/combat font it's just unbearable my eyes are still hurting.

I'll probably give it another try this week.
    The darkness is in the starting zone. The zone you start in is supposed to be the future, where it is literally the end of the world. Then you travel back in time.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega View Post
    The darkness is in the starting zone. The zone you start in is supposed to be the future, where it is literally the end of the world. Then you travel back in time.
    Sounds interesting i will give another try when i have some spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivpiv View Post
    From what i´ve seen in this post, screenshots info and what not. The game is just horrible.. THe ingame gfx looks ancient pixelated and so on.
    People really set their standards way to low when it comes to MMO´s they really do.. I´ve played Wow since vanilla and it is the ONLY MMORPG that i would waste money on today. It still lacks on the graphics side, but it makes up for it in the controls department. All other mmo´s have delays on abilities, lag and all sorts of other fundamental problems that im just not willing to over time through thousands of dollars at.

How can these graphics satisfy anyone ? i know its a beta and there proberly is alot of rendering and whatnot going on still, but this is the final cut that they decided to to release? it looks like a game from the mid 90s.. And your willing to not alone buy it, but pay a monthly subscribtion(assuming its not free to play) for it?

You people have way to much money and way to shitty taste, im going to bet that this game will end up having the exact same issues as War online.. Shitty graphics, laggy gameplay and a terrible looking interface..

So far what ive seen, read up on this game i give it 2/10 this game is supposed to compete with Wow, Aion, Eve and the upcoming SW MMO with these graphics?!!

hahahaha
    As someone else said, you can't judge gfx on a screenshot. But your post clearly points out that you've never even logged into the game which completely invalidates your oh so important score of the game.

Then again, by ending your post with "hahahaha" means most likely we're talking with some punk 14 yr. old who's mommy wouldn't let install another game on their computer.

Deleted
    Is there a good news site (like MMO Champ for WoW) to keep up to date with RIFT?

Quote Originally Posted by thewax View Post
    Is there a good news site (like MMO Champ for WoW) to keep up to date with RIFT?
    http://rift.zam.com/

Just seen the alpha patch notes for the last few days, there are a lot of changes for next beta :-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dammagia View Post

Just seen the alpha patch notes for the last few days, there are a lot of changes for next beta :-)
    Thanks
    I just requested a Beta-Key (VIP) from ZAM and typed in my Trion World Account. I guess there isnt a guarantee that i will get invited into the next Beta, right?

Quote Originally Posted by thewax View Post
    Thanks
    I just requested a Beta-Key (VIP) from ZAM and typed in my Trion World Account. I guess there isnt a guarantee that i will get invited into the next Beta, right?
    If you have added the VIP Beta Key to your Trion account, you will be invited to every beta event, guaranteed.

From what little i've seen, i like it. Its essentially a WoW clone, but i like wow. So, i dont have a problem with that. But i played an hour. I will def. buy it. Graphics are fine, better than wow (although wow is 6 years old, so they should be better).

The beta was very very fun. I have no desire to play WOW. And the people who say "WOW clone" can stfu, get over yourselves. I never played EQ, but where did WOW come from? Did it not take a Warhammer-ish approach to the lore?

Anyways, the talent system is pretty cool, alot of combinations that work together, and some that may not. Leveling was nice, you do your typical quests you see in all MMO's, normal. But when Rifts/Invasions occur, thats the real fun. A nice change of pace. Anyways, an invasion is basically defending your town/quest hub from monsters that spawn from the Rifts or Footholds. I got my Cleric 14-16 in a single invasions, mini powerlevel session, so fun.

But the Callings(Mage/Rogue/Cleric/Warrior) are really cool. The only one I haven't gotten to 20 is the Mage calling. But it's nice because the other 3 I did level to 20 can do everything. Minus the warrior, only tank and heals. The rogue can be melee/ranged DPS, support, and tank. The Cleric can also tank, melee dps, caster dps and heal. I had the most fun on my cleric I'd have to say, but that competes with my rogue owning at level 19 in the 10-19 bracket. People say the warrior is awesome in the 20-29 bracket so next beta im dedicating to my Warrior.

Also this last beta was more of a stress test, thats why SOOOOOO many keys were given out. But overall I loved it. Absolutely loved it. My friend bitched it feel like WAR, but it didn't to me (although its the same engine as WAR, whateva). It LOOKED like WAR but ran SMOOT like WOW. So I suggest getting into this next Beta that goes from February 4th-7th and try it yourselves.

Now we need a wowhead like website for rift. rifthead.com anyone? haha

"During last week’s “Battle of the Ascended” beta players logged 2.4 million hours in game"

Holy Sh*t.

10+ Year Old Account
    /cast resurrect thread.

After this past weekend, with a lot of people getting Beta invites for the stress test and to give them a taste of the game, I'm curious what people's thoughts are now. I for one enjoyed the leveling process and the different souls, but think that it can take too long to figure out the souls. You can go for "fun" and obvious talents easily but min-maxing is impossible given the lack of data out there. They do a decent job of suggesting soul pairings as you select them, but I can imagine doing some interesting combinations that end up being an incredibly OP combo if done right. I didn't get far enough along to get into any dungeons (superbowl weekend, was busy with other stuff), but enjoyed just the gameplay and graphics. I could see myself playing this as a timesink when I want to solo and play something thats fun and different, but I don't think I'd get into the end-game grind over wow's end-game content.

Actual Rift Review

Actual Rift Review

I know there are a ton of fanboy and hater posts floating around about RIFT. I know because when I was looking for a review they were all I could find. Since actual reviews seem to be in short supply I felt like I should take some time and give my impressions of the game since I feel I am an objective gamer. Not that it qualifies me as an authority on gaming, but I have played WoW on and off since launch, taking breaks for City of Heroes and Villains, Aion, and a few others. I didn't make the switch thinking those games would be "WoW Killers" or because I hate WoW, instead, I had done most everything possible in WoW (beaten the game so to speak) and wanted to play a new game much the same way I do when I complete a Xbox 360 game and unlock the majority of the achievements. I have not currently completed all that WoW has to offer but I am 6/12 in a 25man content guild and to be honest while I like the game overall and think it is still a solid game I need a bigger divergence from past content that what we have gotten. This is why I chose to play in the RIFT betas and below are my impressions.

Character Customization - While I could really care less if I can tune the shape of my characters face, size and rotation of their eyes I have always been a fan of having more options than just hair style and color and skin pigmentation. While in overall options RIFT has far more, I can see where some will care and others won't. The actual selection system is easy and does admittedly make you feel a bit more unique so overall a change of pace that I feel is a positive.

Base Class Selection - For those that are unaware you chose either Warrior, Cleric, Rogue or Mage for your base class and then in game you get access to Soul's (best thought of as a talent tree or spec) which further refines the class. Because of the Soul's you get access to later on the beginning player will most likely make the assumption that clerics are always heals/support and mages are always dps/debuffers. This is actually very far from true as clerics can be dps or tanks or really any role depending on the Soul's you take in game and the way you spend your points, the same goes for mages. I feel a small optional intro video would be handy so that people don't get 15-20 levels deep in a character and start over because they realize they would much rather spec into healing on a mage because the style is more inline with what they like. Other than that this is a forgettable step. The talent tree options on the other hand are very well designed and really will need a much more in depth description than I can give here. At the least though I like the ability to put in points at the top of the tree which will vary between stat increases and move buffs to maybe a new move, but regardless at the bottom of the tree moves are unlocked based on the number of points put into the tree above. So while I may put 4 points into getting 1% crit per point (not very exciting really) those 4 points may bring me to a 10 point total in that tree unlocking a new spell or move that really adds to my class. I will probably try and put together a better review of this if people want since it is fairly complex.

Graphics - Saying that the graphics are better than WoW, as many seem to be doing, isn't correct. They are different and more GPU intensive but you can't compare art styles to each other like you would fruit, so I'll just say RIFT has a more adult feel with more complex animations. Though to be fair to RIFT on the GPU front since WoW can pretty much run on a toaster, I was able to use a 3.5 year old machine with a $75 dollar graphics card to get it to run on medium settings. Some particle effects, shading and lighting need to tuned depending on your GPU to get it to run , but nothing complicated (just turn every thing to low and start moving stuff up until you hit your FPS threshold your happy with). However, on my main gaming rig I was very pleased with the games detail and overall look when set to Ultra.

Questing/PVE Content - The first weakness I found in the game was definitely in the starting zones. While I like the general idea of only having two starting areas so you can find your friends without having to be the same race, there is a lack of choice when it comes to quests in this area. From about level 1-5 you have a pretty set path you must take in which you will be guided through the basics of the game and pick your first soul. No matter what character you create these will be the same each time and aren't really optional (I guess you could grind past them but that seems less than fun). Once you get to the first major quest hub things get a bit better as you get introduced to rifts and get some gathering skills if you choose to pick them up. (I would pick them all up just for the extra cash until you can get the crafting professions in the next areas). Once you get to about level 15 though, you should have been to your first biggish city and you can start bouncing around quest hubs rather than letting them lead you from one to the other like your a baby. Doing this will increase the random chance of stumbling upon a rift which can break up questing pretty nicely while still providing solid XP and item rewards. Instances which you can get into at about level 15 are pretty much what you would expect and provide a pretty decent challenge while continuing to round out your introduction to the game. Because of the plethora of abilities available to characters in the game I would expect that as you continue to progress in the game monsters will have a similar repertoire which could add a very nice dynamic feel to encounters you run repeatedly. I kind of like the idea of a boss that has access to the same three souls a player would, and has the ability to have any one of those Souls active when you fight them rather than always being a "Warlock" you might find they have switched spec to a "Necromancer" on that particular run. I have yet to see this but the technical components already exist in game to accomplish this. Overall I got pretty much what I expected to from instances at this point.

Rifts - The namesake of the game. These are basically randomly spawning areas that produce waves of increasingly difficult mobs that typically end in a mini boss of sorts. People's participation is based on what they contribute to the closing of the rift so you can't just show up and afk in the rift area and get loot. However, if you do contribute you will be rewarded with planarite (a currency used for another aspect of the game "planar focuses" and gear) as well as other items and consumables that are useful or can be sold. Not only can these be self contained open world "encounters" but every so often a massive amount will open up with attacks being made against towns, camps, cities and unsuspecting players questing/grinding in their path. I was at a main city the first time I encountered this and got a message that the gate of the city was under attack. I popped open my map and saw at least 12 rifts that had popped up. I ran to the gates to find the guards fighting about 6-8 mobs. As the players started to arrive we fought off a wave. A few seconds later the next wave hit, and then another, and another. Then the "Boss" showed up. At one point there were about 20 of us plus guards versus about 30 mobs and the boss (some elite some trash adds). All in all it took about 20 minutes to defend and I got a substantial amount of rewards for my part. These encounters only get harder as the game progresses and I can see the potential for some very neat encounters when this happens in a contested area where you have to decide between working with the opposing faction to defeat the rift or fighting them off to "lay claim" to the rift for your side. I don't know what all plans they have currently for these rifts, but there is some huge potential in them.

PVP - I will be doing this in the beta coming up this weekend to an extent that will let me write about it in depth, since I didn't get to far into the Wargrounds etc. For now I would watch this report http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FJNkvNuG3Q.

Crafting - Very similar to WoW but with the ability to add materials to recipes that can alter the outcome of stats etc. I don't have a ton of experience with this yet either, but I was also intrigued by the fact you can break down armor into materials similar to how enchanting works. (i.e. you salvage a robe and get some bolts of cloth and some grey materials to vendor) PVP and crafting are at the top of my next beta to do list.

Overall - I really liked RIFT and to be honest, I had no plans to buy and play it at launch going into the betas. After having played the game (while still playing WoW) I have decided that for me the new shinies the game offers are better than the new shinies that WoW has given us with Cataclysm. I'm not saying it's better and not saying it's going to hurt WoW, but because of the similarities it is a great alternative to WoW for those, like me, who want some change beyond what WoW has provided with this expansion. I feel that WoW is at a point where it is prepping its next MMO while trying to retain as much of its player base in the interim as it can. RIFT is not revolutionary but rather a game based on a proven structure that has been tweaked enough to be fresh and fun, though because of the customization level of characters and potential of things you could do with RIFTs there is still room for the game to start innovating as it grows rather than being innovative at the beginning when you have no player base to get feedback from.

For me its a fun factor thing. I have stopped having as much fun in WoW and found that I was having a lot of fun in RIFT. I chose to spend the money on what brings me the most fun for the buck. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. I will be posting more about the game after the next beta when I have time to play around with the few things I didn't have that much time to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by wildemu View Post
    I've played the previous betas, people are overhyping this game way too much.

The races/factions/lore are dull, the ui/graphics is a copycat of the warhammer engine, and the endgame is going to be another mindless grind.

Pros: talent trees, combat abilities, complex class mechanics.

Cons: it isn't very original, end-game is just pve grind mindlessly, and there is potential for severe balance issues with so many capable sub-specs.
    Yeah because you know exactly what the end game content will be like when even in the 7th beta they haven't opened up levels 43-50

Stop trying to act like you know what you are talking about you are just making yourself look dumb.