Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    DCUO is just awesome! Enjoying PvPing in Rift beta atm, it's quite fun with all the different soul combinations people can be.
    Hi

Deleted
    Must say warhammer beta. The pvp there was legendary, the most enjoyable pvp i probably will ever experience.

Deleted
    Used to play Helbreath years ago. I think that game had good pvp. :P

Any game like TF2 or LFD, while awesome, isn't a MMO. It's not "Massively" multiplayer, as you're limited to only a couple people per encounter, for L4D, that's like 8, for TF2 that's like 32 or 64 or w/e the server limit is.

My favorite multiplayer game was Unreal 2003 when it first came out with the football-type mode, I don't remember what it was called, but I remember playing it at a competative LAN and getting like 7 "touchdowns" and winning a monitor. I liked the updated graphics to a solid classic too, but it had a lot of room to improve.

I am a big fan of the Company of Heroes games as well. I like the genre and the balance.

As far as MMOs, I'd say planetside was really cool, and was entirely PvP, but the execution wasn't that great and it was really laggy, but it was really cool to get a group of people together to attack a fortress and be in the midst of hundreds of others, trying to do your own thing while pitching in to the overall team effort.

I like warhammer's predecessor, DAoC, and that game really did have massive multiplayer content which had a real application toward the rest of content, such as guild bonuses for holding keeps and 10-30% damage bonuses for holding major items.

Shadowbane also was a neat concept and had massive,world-based pvp with player built cities, but the problem there was that you'd spend all this time and money building a city and then you could lose it all if A) someone attacked while you were sleeping and B) they had pre-ordered the game and could simply fly over your walls because they gained access to a flying race (also certain classes could cast flying spells, but still, such a concept is silly, why even have walls if that's the case?). I quit that game though b/c the server I was on was taken over by 1 guild 2 months after launch. The game itself didn't do that well either and the client crashed all the damned time.
    Last edited by jaxus; 2011-01-27 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    wow isn't a pvp game

pvp-based mmo's of the past include ultima online, asherons call, darkfall, and other smaller ones. ultima online was the first mainstream mmo, and arguably the best pvp mmo to ever exist. back then it was the only mmo on the market, and pve carebears and pvpers were forced to play in the same environment, an environment where ALL your loot dropped on death, corpse runs were not quick and easy, there were no instances or other barriers to keep you safe, and the list goes on.

unfortunately those days are over, now all the pve guys just hide in pve games like wow. i wouldn't could on a good pvp mmo, i believe the only recent one to be released is darkfall, ive heard decent things but not great things.
    False. There is nothing arguable about the fact that UO was the best PvP MMO to ever exist.
    Yeah We ALl do m8 guess again somting went frong well lets hope it will be fixed soon
    ...?

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Croatoan View Post
    Used to play Helbreath years ago. I think that game had good pvp. :P
    Helbreath was a ripped off Lineage One, so Lineage One had the best PVP i ever played

Imagine 300 players attacking a castle defended by the same size crowd on an isometric view (like D2) Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

DAoC was the best PvP game ever invented for one simple reason. A third faction. Having a 3rd faction means while you are engaging your enemy you always have to be mindful of the "other guys". I played Mid and there were many times where we were locked in an epic battle against some dirty Hibs and starting to win and then Albs would show up, join their side and then we got destroyed. The same also happened when we were getting wrecked the third faction would show up and help us win. Of course in the end we just killed each other but its so much more fun when you have a great battle of 50+ on each side going at it and then all of a sudden another 200 people show up and destroy us both.

WoW pvp is actually pretty horrible. The closest thing they tried to make so it was faction vs faction of the same server was Wintergrasp. And well we all know how that turned out. WoW just isnt a PvP game at all. I mean who wants 10 v 10 or 15 v 15 when you can have 500 total people from 3 different sides fighting each other.
    Last edited by tifania; 2011-01-28 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Implying WoW is a good PvP game.
    This is too true. This game doesn't really have an epic sense of pvp anymore...as long as you have the currently OP class of the season and your iWin macro you don't need to do much else...situational pvp is about as extinct as your mom and chuck norris jokes in the barrens.

I am really liking rifts pvp so far.

MMO just always have poor verus overall. Its always unbalanced, its always cut short because of resources problems. If you want to fight other players in a competitive or balanced environement. Most fps, rts will do a good job, because most of them are completly focused on this one task.

My own recommendations for games that arent over a decade old(i guess quakelive count as new) because if i noted all the good old game that i still play now and then the list would be long.

If you want to pub: TF2, CSS, BFBC2, SC2, MWBO

If you want to be comeptitive:TF2, CSS, SC2, QUAKELIVE, L4D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Implying WoW is a good PvP game.
    ^^ This ^^

WoW is a TERRIBLE PvP game.

DotA is better. League of Legends (basically a stand-alone version of DotA) is better.
    The Blizzard-Made version of DotA for Starcraft 2 will be better.
    Team Fortress 2 is better.
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is better.
    Hell, even Black Ops is better. And Black Ops is trash.

Any game that's actually MEANT to be a PvP game is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by bachok View Post
    I can't believe no-one mentioned Eve Online...

If you want to experience real adrenaline rush while playing a game, nothing tops that one
    This. By a long shot. No other game can provide the adrenaline rush that EVE does with pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasmgp View Post
    I remember sitting in my house macroing( had to or game would DC you for being inactive) for 2 weeks straight to clear all my kills.
    and that's fun... why?

more on topic, guild wars pvp was some of the best, because everyone was at an even footing. looking forward to guild wars 2.

dota/heroes of newerth are always good, too. the community really sucks, though.

League of Legends easily.

Quote Originally Posted by tifania View Post
    DAoC was the best PvP game ever invented for one simple reason. A third faction. Having a 3rd faction means while you are engaging your enemy you always have to be mindful of the "other guys". I played Mid and there were many times where we were locked in an epic battle against some dirty Hibs and starting to win and then Albs would show up, join their side and then we got destroyed. The same also happened when we were getting wrecked the third faction would show up and help us win. Of course in the end we just killed each other but its so much more fun when you have a great battle of 50+ on each side going at it and then all of a sudden another 200 people show up and destroy us both.

WoW pvp is actually pretty horrible. The closest thing they tried to make so it was faction vs faction of the same server was Wintergrasp. And well we all know how that turned out. WoW just isnt a PvP game at all. I mean who wants 10 v 10 or 15 v 15 when you can have 500 total people from 3 different sides fighting each other.
    This. Having a third realm solved so many population imbalances. Generally Albion had more players than the other two realms just because the lore was more familiar, but no one ever cared. You just ganged up on them before turning on each other. Of course, it's too late for WoW to implement something like this.

The other important aspect that made DAoC PvP superior was persistent world PvP zones with actual consequences. You take keeps and upgrade them for upkeep (important money sink) and hang your guild banners over the side. People knew the good guilds on their servers and knew to stay away from certain keeps if they didn't want their heads kicked in. Relics gave an actual purpose and incentive to PvPing unlike afking bgs to get 10 honor points or the "2% damage buff in the zone for standing in a tower for 30 seconds!" bullshit in "world pvp."

I'd poop butterflies if Blizzard would remove this abortion called Tol Barad and put in something persistent built off the DAoC model. Imitation of the good aspects of other MMOs is not a bad thing. It's what made them good, and it only increases the quality of the genre as as whole.

DCUO Is pretty nice from what I've seen / done. LoL Is good fun once youre good. Also SC2 for RTS

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    yea have to go with Eve Online

in that game actual wars happened we are waiting for the next huge one and they are started by the players it gets pretty insane

Deleted
    Guild Wars was by far the best pvp I've ever had on an mmo. Instant max lvl pvp characters, skills balanced separately for pvp and pve, everyone on the same gear so only skill matters. WoW's pvp is a joke in comparison. TF2 and LoL are also really fun.

WoW's pvp is good because it's organised in an arena setting, has a ladder system in place etc. I for one don't really enjoy world pvp because I can't track my ratings and whatnot.

I don't enjoy world PvP that much, I really don't see the fun and excitement of 10v10 or 200v200 battles, it makes no sense to me, skill isn't showcased at all - much in the same way a competitive arena setting with balanced numbers doesn't seem fun to most of the guys here.

Also I love the PvP style in WoW, very fluid and moderately skill based. Those saying it's horrible simply like a different genre.

On topic - A good MMORPG PvP game would be DCUO, very different and action orientated, even though as far as I know there really isn't a ladder system in place but it's fun to play and really well made. Pretty difficult to be good at if you live in Australia being action and reaction based, though it's doable.

BLC is good fun, but again next to unplayable living in Australia due to 400ms.

What I would enjoy the most though is just ganging up and killing whoever you wanted and getting their loot. None of this faction only crap.
    Last edited by rektbrah; 2011-01-28 at 05:57 AM.