Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc or Holy for Pvp Cata

Hey guys, i got an 80 disc priest on live and v experienced in bg's but i cant choose between holy or disc for pvp!
    i have no idea which to choose because holy seems to have been given a boost to its pvp capabilites and disc seems to have nurfed the
    shields and adopted a slightly different play style with the smiting etc.

Anyone got any tips or info off a website they have read on which seems to be the pick for pvp priests in cata ?

ps: im not so much going for healing/dps. just pure survivability.

thanks very much

Both should be viable but it depends on your playstyle
    Holy has a lot of cast time heals for their single target healing
    Guardian Angel
    Body and Soul
    Holy Word: Chastise for CC

Discipline has better longetivity
    Can get by with a lot instant heals
    Pain Suppression
    Power Infusion
    Power Word: Barrier

Its just to choose or go with the stream and pick what everyone else picks later on (Disciplne most likely though)
    And Blessed Resilience = Focused Will pretty much as long as your not being CC'd

Yeah, its interesting seeing what these 2 different specs use in terms of play style.

However, instead of choosing on play style. i am more looking for the spec that offers the GREATEST survivabiliy. Ive tried them both and yes like you said they both come with their own unique playstyle and tools to make this happen.

However i cant for the life of me figure which one is best, just for surviving a gank-fest. i will bging mainly.

From severe burst potential, Discipline has the higher survivability. If you find yourself going 8v1, you'll live a little longer as Discipline, but still die.

As far as regular circumstances go, their survivability should be comparable.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I think you will be able to actually say Holy PvP is a thing for once, but the damage/healing synergy in Disc will likely make it a superior BG spec.

Of course if you're only asking about surviving a gank-fest, holy will always be better because of Spirit of redemption.

maybe i'll just ditch the 80 priest and go holy pally hahaha

10+ Year Old Account
    PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION!

Will priests finally be capable of healing warriors as Holy? Priests have never been suitable partners for warriors as absorbs from their shields detract Rage that the Warrior should be getting. The main spec has always been Disc, as Holy priests have always been 'punching bags.' Therefore it was uncommon to see Priest/Warrior teams.

Now that it looks like Holy may be viable for Arenas, as Holy priests have more means for survival, and their PW: shield does not need to be used as often 'even if you use it as a blessing of freedom occasionally.' Can we expect Priests to partner with Warriors now?

---------- Post added 2010-10-11 at 11:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    From severe burst potential, Discipline has the higher survivability. If you find yourself going 8v1, you'll live a little longer as Discipline, but still die.

As far as regular circumstances go, their survivability should be comparable.
    Ya I'm looking forward to being a 'Disc hero' and defending nodes in AB while being attacked by 3 people at once. From experience I still think Holy Paladins are ultimate in terms of survivability, as beyond their unique shielding spells and instant heals they have a number of other fancy tools. Dispels, blessings, the list goes on.

I hope I'm wrong tho and Disc remains/becomes the master of surviving the onslaught!

---------- Post added 2010-10-11 at 11:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by snoblind View Post
    maybe i'll just ditch the 80 priest and go holy pally hahaha
    Don't do that! they are horr-i-bleh
    Over-thinking, Over-analyzing, separates the body from the mind.

Priests have been capable of healing warriors as Holy. Shields haven't been the point. The problem is not the rage gimping, it's that the setup between the both of them don't really synergize, whereas the Rogue Toolset meshes with pretty much everything, when it comes to PvP Support/Control.

The Warrior's damage and mobility is enough for two people, that's why purely defensive Druids were shining so well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGrey View Post
    PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION!

Will priests finally be capable of healing warriors as Holy? Priests have never been suitable partners for warriors as absorbs from their shields detract Rage that the Warrior should be getting. The main spec has always been Disc, as Holy priests have always been 'punching bags.' Therefore it was uncommon to see Priest/Warrior teams.

Now that it looks like Holy may be viable for Arenas, as Holy priests have more means for survival, and their PW: shield does not need to be used as often 'even if you use it as a blessing of freedom occasionally.' Can we expect Priests to partner with Warriors now?
    have you been hibernating or something? it's been a while since warriors/druids had any rage problems due to shields and absorb effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Priests have been capable of healing warriors as Holy. Shields haven't been the point. The problem is not the rage gimping, it's that the setup between the both of them don't really synergize, whereas the Rogue Toolset meshes with pretty much everything, when it comes to PvP Support/Control.

The Warrior's damage and mobility is enough for two people, that's why purely defensive Druids were shining so well for them.
    How exactly do Priests not synergize with warriors? I know that paladins were good with BOF, druids with root and interrupts, but what exactly separates Priests?

The warrior doesn't have ways to peel off the Priest, like a Rogue or a Mage can.

The druid can get the hell out of the way, as can Paladins, thus letting Warriors take advantage of their own mobility.

Soooooo im guessing its still disc then over holy :S

still contemplating the holy pally tho. it seems like so much less stress and work just to survive, say, a rogue attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    The warrior doesn't have ways to peel off the Priest, like a Rogue or a Mage can.

The druid can get the hell out of the way, as can Paladins, thus letting Warriors take advantage of their own mobility.
    Still not completely following you. Are you saying that Priests need help occasionally like a CC? Please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGrey View Post
    Still not completely following you. Are you saying that Priests need help occasionally like a CC? Please elaborate.
    Priests need help like CC, yes. But, that said, Holy getting Chastise does help balance this a little bit.

But really, what do you expect a Priest to offer a Warrior, or vice versa, as far as composition goes? I mean, apart from keeping Health up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy: More CC, Higher damage output (moreso at 85), Guardian Spirit 2nd life (moreso at 85 with higher HP pools), Body and Spirit (awesome!)
    Disc: More beef out of their instant casts (shields mostly), good cooldowns, more damage prevention and absorption, higher overall survivability

TLDR: choose between more control and damage OR more prevention and survivability

Quote Originally Posted by Omnus View Post
    Holy: More CC, Higher damage output (moreso at 85), Guardian Spirit 2nd life (moreso at 85 with higher HP pools), Body and Spirit (awesome!)
    Disc: More beef out of their instant casts (shields mostly), good cooldowns, more damage prevention and absorption, higher overall survivability

TLDR: choose between more control and damage OR more prevention and survivability
    or holy paladin lol :P im just getting a bit bored of the priest, so much effort to do what the paladins do effortlessley. and yes i know thats probably because paladins are face-smash keyboard and the effort is fun nd all, but with the priest in pvp, when u have more than 1 on u or even just a rogue. u make one mistake and u r dead, unlike pally where u actually have time.

or holy paladin lol :P im just getting a bit bored of the priest, so much effort to do what the paladins do effortlessley. and yes i know thats probably because paladins are face-smash keyboard and the effort is fun nd all, but with the priest in pvp, when u have more than 1 on u or even just a rogue. u make one mistake and u r dead, unlike pally where u actually have time.
    The normalization of Armor Effects, coupled with the loss of Sacred Shield actually lower this gap quite a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say that's the case for everyone. I haven't had problems with rogues 1v1 in a really long time on my disc priest. That might change in patch 4.0.1 but I wouldn't say Holy Pallies are better by default. The plate armor helps against melee but priests have other strengths that allow them to shine, like better damage and better absorbs.

I wouldn't say that's the case for everyone. I haven't had problems with rogues 1v1 in a really long time on my disc priest. That might change in patch 4.0.1 but I wouldn't say Holy Pallies are better by default. The plate armor helps against melee but priests have other strengths that allow them to shine, like better damage and better absorbs.
    just got back from ptr after testing both for the 100th time. they are both so fun in pvp, i had a few ppl on me so i popped guardian spirit and i died...but then didnt =) must have pissed them off haha. chastise is a great stun, had a lot of use for that and yer i guess i found that in holy there wasnt really much to get some quick heals off in emergency unlike disc where there is penance and abetter shield.
    despite that though i found there was a lot more mobility in holy with the increased speed after bubble and the body and soul to get rid of poinsons.

but then again I will miss power word: barrior it has protected people in the bg from mass attacks quite a few times and has been the reason we are able to control mid in wsg sometimes when it is up.

they all have their uses i guess i have to choose which is more valuable/fun or just learn/try to get holy to be able to use it better and be a bit more like disc with its survivability against ranged burst dmg

This assessment is still valid today on live. I've been doing a lot of pvp as holy and I'm really impressed with Holy Word: Chastise, Guardian Spirit and Body and Soul. Chastise kiting is awesome, and once glyph of Desperation hits live, Guardian Spirit will rival Pain Suppression as a premier survival talent. Smite Chakra also turns us into very nasty offensive casters. I have glyphs of Divine Accuracy, Smite and Shadow Word: Death. I've caught many player off guard with the amount of burst I'm capable of. Once we get our new 4 piece pvp bonus (PW: Shield removing and preventing root/slow for 4 sec) Body and Soul will outshine anything disc has as a clutch move.