Page 1 of 3
LastLast

warhammer 40000 and warhammer mmo

what is that exacly? is it related to the mmo universe with orcs and elves? because i see warhammer 40k on youtube and its sci fi, and the mmo is fantasy, so is it like years in the future from the mmo? or is it only called that because of marketing issues and such? is the scifi and fantasy game related in a way?

There is Warhammer Fantasy which is one of the origional fantasy games, right up there with DnD. It introduced alot of awesome ideas like Green-Skinned, bulky, angry orcs.
    Then there is Warhammer 40k. A huge, gritty, dark, sci-fi. "In the Grim Darkness of the 41st Millennium, there is only war..."

They are both table-top miniature games with massive amounts of lore. And a 40k MMO, "Dark Millennium" is in the works.

Warhammer is based on the Games Workshop table top game. There is both Warhammer (Fantasy) and Warhammer 40k (Starcraft esque) which is 40,000 years beyond Fantasy. I've heard that Starcraft was originally supposed to be Warhammer 40k but there was an issue between Blizzard and Games Workshop and it got yanked by GW.

my question about the lore is are they related? like are they in the same universe or seperate?

The universes are seperate. But, they share similarities, like the Warp, Chaos, and the Old Ones.

so why do they have similar names ?

You are thinking WC1. WC1 was originally going to be a Warhammer Fantasy RTS but got scrapped. Blizzard picked up the pieces and made one of the most successful franchises ever. SC just has A LOT of 'convenient' similarities to 40k.

They used to be. You used to be able to get things like power armor and boltguns in Warhammer Fantasy.

Not anymore tho. They cute off all ties between the two properties and the official Games Workshop line is that they occupy different realities.

Quote Originally Posted by splifone View Post
    Same company, and they have the same base rules. A D6 system, with the same kind of stat scores and such.

There is a split decision on that. Some say that the world in Warhammer fantasy is a lost human colony from "Old Night" when contact with all human colonies across the universe was lost and many reverted to low tech civilizations. I think they are separate from each other and this is the most accepted theory as of right nowas they don't really make total sense in the first scenario, it would take to long to spell that out for you though and difficult as you don't know the lore. Fantasy came first so when they made a futuristic version (40k) they kept the name to enhance name recognition. Like someone else said, they share similar themes, concepts and races though this isn't always the case.
    Last edited by Bazgab; 2011-01-27 at 06:14 AM.

Tolkein. That's where it all started, then Warhammer sort of picked it back up again with video games and the theme has been ridiculously popular ever since. The don't necessarily have to be the same universe to still have the same names and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Tolkein. That's where it all started, then Warhammer sort of picked it back up again with video games and the theme has been ridiculously popular ever since. The don't necessarily have to be the same universe to still have the same names and such.
    What? I don't even know what you are talking about. Yes fantasy as we know it started with Tolkein but that has nothing to do with the discussion. Plus the Warhammer table top games were around a lot longer than any video games that are based on the IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    didnt tolkein die before warhammer tabletop was conceived? or is it his son u talkin about?

And before the tabletop they were actually a comic book by white dwarf, which got huge appraise from people. So they turned it into a pen and paper genre, which went into table top and from there onwards.

Edit: I really shouldn't say by, more they were a part of white dwarf.
    Last edited by Ryoflash; 2011-01-27 at 06:22 AM.

40k follows fairly similar game mechanics to warhammer fantasy, fantasy has cliche races from dungeons and dragons and 40k has slight variations on them

Orcs (think wow goblins in trucks blowing stuff up)
    Eldar and Dark Eldar (elves and dark elves)
    Tyranids (zerg - use biological technology)
    Chaos (demons and fallen humanoids)
    Space marines (genetically altered human super soldiers)
    The Imperium (regular humans with various themes)
    Necrons (think terminator skeletons)
    Tau (high tech aliens in exosuits - kinda like predators)

aside from the comparable races and mechanics, one game is focused on magic and medieval weapons and one on technology and psionics, 40k could be a direct descendant from fantasy but it is not likely, the fantasy races all exist on the same world, 40k is set across many worlds and seems to be far into humanity as it exists now's future

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFD3S View Post
    What? I don't even know what you are talking about. Yes fantasy as we know it started with Tolkein but that has nothing to do with the discussion. Plus the Warhammer table top games were around a lot longer than any video games that are based on the IP.
    I'm saying that a different universe(40k versus normal) doesn't need different names, especially when they're all based on essentially the same thing.

There's almost the same happening(constant war), but just with different flavor.

warhammer fantasy - warhammer 40 000

Human empire - Imperium of man. it even has Inquisition in both versions.

Orks & goblins - Orks & goblins in space

High elves - Eldar

Dark elves - Dark eldar

Chaos gods, daemons and their followers - Chaos gods, daemons, cultists and chaos space marines

Tomb kings(think Scourge) - Necrons (skeletal looking robots, infused with souls of ancient race)

Dwarves seem to be only in fantasy version, and Tyranids(think advanced Zerg to SC fans) are only in WH 40k.

Want to learn more? Read http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page for fantasy version, or read http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page fpr WH 40k version.
    Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2011-01-27 at 06:43 AM.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

Tolkein has little to do with the Warhammer games, and that aside, he isn't even the birth of the fantasy genera, all he did was write a series of rather good books using mostly existing mythology and folk lore that has been around a long time.

On the note of 40k mmo, I am not sure what to think of it, it sounds like it could be bad but I have been disappointed with many mmo's that have come out of late.

Quote Originally Posted by yomyom View Post
    Tolkein has little to do with the Warhammer games, and that aside, he isn't even the birth of the fantasy genera, all he did was write a series of rather good books using mostly existing mythology and folk lore that has been around a long time.

On the note of 40k mmo, I am not sure what to think of it, it sounds like it could be bad but I have been disappointed with many mmo's that have come out of late.
    He combined norse mythology with his own made up mythology to make something that hadn't been seen before and considering WHFB is based on that type of fantasy he does have a lot to do with the basis of the IP.

Quote Originally Posted by jaelrin View Post
    Dwarves seem to be only in fantasy version
    Squats >.> they are real i swear it.