High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Older question - Ragnaros and Onyxia before 1.6 patch

So, before 1.6 patch, when BWL was introduced, which is associated with tier 2, did Onyxia and Ragnaros drop some tier 1 set items or were the head and legs of tier 2 obtainable from the first release? Not sure anymore because i didn't raid then as i was still leveling.

I wasn't raiding yet (still leveling) at this time so I don't know for sure, but I did raid MC for a long time and the t2 was always available when I was in either of those.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revak View Post
    I wasn't raiding yet (still leveling) at this time so I don't know for sure, but I did raid MC for a long time and the t2 was always available when I was in either of those.
    Ye probably we started raiding about the same time. When BWL hit i was somewhere around lvl 50 i think. And none of my friends who played from the start don't remember it.

But i found the following patchnote for 1.5:
    The following item sets have had their statistics, effects, and set bonuses updated:

* Arcanist, Netherwind, Prophecy, Transcendence, Felheart, Nemesis, Cenarion, Stormrage Raiment, Nightslayer, Bloodfang, Giantstalker, Dragonstalker, Earthfury, Ten Storms, Might, Wrath, Lawbringer, and Judgement.

so i think tier 2 items existed before BWL.

Originally all Tier 2 pieces dropped in Molten Core from various bosses. In the 1.5 patch all but the head/legs were removed and the wonky stat distributions on the sets were fixed.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, didn't know that. So what, you could get both T1 and T2 in MC? From the same boss?

Oh, found it now in patch 1.4 :P

Prior to this patch, Molten Core boss creatures could drop items from one of two different tiered sets for every character class. The loot tables have been changed so Molten Core bosses will now only drop items from the lower tier class sets. However, some of the items from those sets were not previously dropping in Molten Core. These missing class set items will now drop in Molten Core, allowing players to complete their lower tier class sets. The higher tier class set pieces that once dropped in Molten Core will be found once again in Blackwing Lair, the next raiding zone scheduled for release in a future patch.
    Last edited by smrtolet; 2011-01-27 at 05:43 PM.

The graphics for them were placeholders too, iirc

15+ Year Old Account
    If you have the time, go look at the original tier 2 set graphics, they are hilarious. pally and priest especially. However, tier 1 used to drop in places like baron and live side and strat, some pieces at least. Some pieces of T2 from mc. It all changed when bwl came out.

Ragnaros and Onyxia indeed did drop T2 helms and Pants before BWL came out in July of 06. In fact, even earlier, Onyxia dropped other T2 pieces as well randomly. Or perhaps that was random MC bosses, I dont remember. But that was changed very early, like Jan/Feb/Mar of that year.

Battle of the Badasses - Warcraft Edition

Congrats to Medivh

Bracket Results Here

www[dot]wowpedia.org/Tier_1
    www[dot]wowpedia.org/Tier_2

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I remember the warrior tier 2 looking hilarious when I first got it.

Rag dropped T2 pants and Ony T2 helm. However in the very beginning MC dropped it all but T2 had place holders (hello red shadowcraft for Bloodfang).
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

The set dropping in 5mans was actually called tier 0, I can't recall tier 1 dropping there ever, even when the places were 'raided'.

However blizzard tried the concept of several sets in one tier in MC I guess, until they noticed it was doing no good and moved a lot of stuff to BWL once released. Good idea I'd say as designing yet another set would've been too much for them - t2 used hillarious placeholder graphics as already pointed out.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke1096 View Post
    before BWL came out in July of 06
    Wasn't it 05 ?

Quote Originally Posted by smrtolet View Post
    Wasn't it 05 ?
    Indeed it was

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - World of Warcraft Client Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackwing Lair Released!