Deleted

Archeaology artifact cap

Hello so I assume there already is the artifact cap on the PTR so I have a question about how that actually works. When I am capped at 200 (or over) Troll artifacts, does it affect what digsites spawn for me?

As in will I not get Troll digsites spawns when capped with their artifats?

I have been wondering about this as well, but I honestly doubt it would work that way. I REALLY wish it would, because it would let me stock up on things I don't want (looking at you, fossils!) so I can get more sites for things I DO want (fist-bump to Tol'Vir). I actually made a suggestion that they implement something like that on the official forums, but I doubt a blue ever saw it. I just want to be able to focus one type instead of finding 13427832 Night Elf dig sites for every one Tol'Vir I get.

But yeah, if anyone knows for sure, I would love to know as well.

Deleted
    Although I would think that to be a great solution so you could focus on specific digs more, I highly doubt it.
    Im not playing on the ptr, but I believe you will simply not get any fragments for that race anymore.

That's what I was thinking. It might be a Unique (200) thing, where you just cant loot any more until you solve something. I really won't mind TOO much since they're buffing the sell prices of the artifacts, but I still REALLY don't want Tyrande's Favorite Doll on my warrior. I don't even play a caster, so it would be completely useless to me even though it's account bound.

Edit: I also REALLY love your guild name, Nalori :P

Quote Originally Posted by Anxt of Detheroc View Post
    I have been wondering about this as well, but I honestly doubt it would work that way. I REALLY wish it would, because it would let me stock up on things I don't want (looking at you, fossils!) so I can get more sites for things I DO want (fist-bump to Tol'Vir). I actually made a suggestion that they implement something like that on the official forums, but I doubt a blue ever saw it. I just want to be able to focus one type instead of finding 13427832 Night Elf dig sites for every one Tol'Vir I get.

But yeah, if anyone knows for sure, I would love to know as well.
    lol where are you farming in Kalimdor? if yes then move to Eastern kingdoms it's full of troll artefacts and has very few ne dig sites

Quote Originally Posted by Ralinor666 View Post
    lol where are you farming in Kalimdor? if yes then move to Eastern kingdoms it's full of troll artefacts and has very few ne dig sites
    He's looking for Tol'vir which are only in kalimdor. Start reading so you can be helpful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralinor666 View Post
    True but it has NO Tol'Vir digs
    To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women, that is what is best in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Figoment View Post
    He's looking for Tol'vir which are only in kalimdor. Start reading so you can be helpful.
    Yes, I am looking for Tol'Vir. It's really a shame that the hardest race to come across dig sites for is also the one with the most rare items.

Deleted
    So nobody is on the PTR then?

It would be rather useful with a cap really. At first I thought it would be stupid, but actually further into the thought I came to mind that the epics mostly drop due luck anyway. I've been spending days, up to 20 hours digging artifacts without no luck what so ever; if we were to cap one of them, we still would have to dig up 200+ I'd say 400 to make it a little less free, it will lower our chance to get any rare in the class we ignore, and lower the amount of gold acquired, and still might have to spend up to many hours farming one race. It will basically take up to the same amount of time to get an epic in the archeology to farm a faction to exalted. But you are still not guaranteed a rare drop!

World epics are almost more likely to drop than archeology rares. If I spent the same time grinding mobs all over the Cataclysm content as I've been farming artifacts, I'd probably come across some world epic faster, which in fact is BOE and either a huge increase in my in game economy or a nice upgrade in one of characters gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
    It would be rather useful with a cap really. At first I thought it would be stupid, but actually further into the thought I came to mind that the epics mostly drop due luck anyway. I've been spending days, up to 20 hours digging artifacts without no luck what so ever; if we were to cap one of them, we still would have to dig up 200+ I'd say 400 to make it a little less free, it will lower our chance to get any rare in the class we ignore, and lower the amount of gold acquired, and still might have to spend up to many hours farming one race. It will basically take up to the same amount of time to get an epic in the archeology to farm a faction to exalted. But you are still not guaranteed a rare drop!

World epics are almost more likely to drop than archeology rares. If I spent the same time grinding mobs all over the Cataclysm content as I've been farming artifacts, I'd probably come across some world epic faster, which in fact is BOE and either a huge increase in my in game economy or a nice upgrade in one of characters gear.
    I must say I fully agree. It's really not fair to level a profession to 525, then have a chance to get the right digsite, then have a VERY small chance to get a rare, than even in some cases have a small chance at that rare being one you want. It IS a profession, after all, and while the rewards from archaeology are potentially the best of any secondary profession, it still takes a very long time to level, and an even longer time to get anything of use. I definitely think we should have a little more say in what artifacts we search for. After all, real life archaeologists don't study Roman artifacts one day then swap to dinosaurs then over to Mayan artifacts then back to Dinosaur followed by cave men. They pick one in most cases and stick with it. I would like to have the ability to more or less choose which one I want to focus on.

I believe there was a blue post clarifying that point.
    Come 4.0.6 you will not be able to gather more than 200 fragments of any given race, being unable to collect more until you are below that cap.
    However that is a soft-cap, where blizzard have stated that 4.0.6 will not remove extra fragments you have currently obtained.
    So sure prior to the patch go farm as many as you can, and then reduce the number down to below 200 after the patch by solving them.

My guess is that the cap is being put in place so that when new epics are introduced with 4.1 nobody will have too big of a head start, and not so that you can lock out races you aren't interested in finding artifacts with. That being said, I would love to lock out fossils permanently.