Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

auto pilot feature out of question?

With the introduction of the Flight Master's Licence in World of WarCraft, I've often found myself thinking "wow, auto-pilot would be amazing!"
    This might just be a selfish request coming from my very own laziness, but it's something i think atleast a decent chunk of the WoW population would go for.
    Just hop on your mount, choose a flight path from the continent map and off you go!

I think that something like this would be pretty awesome and I was hoping to get a feel for what people think of it before i take it to the blues.

SO!! yes or no?
    think it would ever happen?

Auto pilot is in the game.

It's called regular flight masters.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's also called facing yourself towards where you want to go, and putting auto-walk on while on your mount, then alt+tabbing to watch YouTube videos and every now and then tabbing back in to check your progress.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

What your asking for has an uncanny resemblance to the flight-master system we already have. I don't see why it would be necessary to pinpoint your endpoint further then basically every questhub on the continent. And besides, such a system could perhaps be exploited by addons and such, but I don't know for what to be honest.
    Last edited by Dentro; 2011-01-28 at 01:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agallochh View Post
    It's also called facing yourself towards where you want to go, and putting auto-walk on while on your mount, then alt+tabbing to watch YouTube videos and every now and then tabbing back in to check your progress.
    Yeah this is what i usually do, only to find myself running into a mountain about halfway where i wanted to go.
    I know it's not needed in any way shape or form. And I understand there is already a standard flightmaster system in place.

But with the addition the Flight Masters Licence I figure this was atleast something worth thinking about.

meh : \

obviously, auto pilot is a few times better than using flight paths.

1. You can stop, go down and mine that node you noticed or kill that rare that just spawned.
    2. You don't have to fly around in huge circles and fly directly to where you wanted to go.
    3. If you go afk and your character lands using a flight path, you can often find yourself killed by a ganker when you get back to the game.

Auto-run is also much worse as you can often find yourself dying from fatigue or just half a map away from your destination.. but from the other side.

Nobody asks you to implement this feature, so stop posting stuff like 'it is already there'.

That's asking for something we already have. Don't make Blizzard waste more time putting it in.

Why would the addition of the license warrant this? We don't have it in Outlands or Northrend. Your logic is flawed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now you have two options:

1) Fly direct and save time (assuming at least 280 flight) and have the option to stop an any time
    2) Fly on flight path go slower, but you don't need to pay attention at all. (Auto-pilot)

Personally I'd like to see flight paths sped up, so they had more use than 'auto-pilot.' It would be especially helpful for archeology.
    Tobyas (85) :: Tobykenobi (85) :: Uruu (85):: Mykka (52)
    <-- All Chars on Ice Since March 2011 -->
    Currently Playing: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YersiniaPestis View Post

1. You can stop, go down and mine that node you noticed or kill that rare that just spawned.
    2. You don't have to fly around in huge circles and fly directly to where you wanted to go.
    3. If you go afk and your character lands using a flight path, you can often find yourself killed by a ganker when you get back to the game.

Auto-run is also much worse as you can often find yourself dying from fatigue or just half a map away from your destination.. but from the other side.

Nobody asks you to implement this feature, so stop posting stuff like 'it is already there'.
    Points like the ones this fine gentleman (or lady :x) has posted are exactly the kinds I was looking for.

I'm not claiming something like this to be needed or anything, but it would be nice because currently, flightmasters take longer than they should, and youre stuck on the back of a mount thats not yours.

thanks yersinia.

Yeah I'm with you Yersinia. But why stop there? They should program autopilot so it actually mines the node for you, and fends off people who are trying to gank you by optimising your dps output for pvp. It should also pay you the same as you would pay a flightmaster since it's your mount right? Oh oh and they should put it in raids so that you can just let the game raid for you while you watch tv and stuff and then it should autoroll on upgrades so you can just log in 2 weeks later and find yourself fully decked in gear!

Man that game would be awesome!

[/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by njd.aitken View Post
    Auto pilot is in the game.

It's called regular flight masters.
    This is true...glad it was the first answer to the topic...and your "auto pilot" has been in game since launch....

EDIT: It's you either fly through azeroth at your 310% speed while clicking auto run and stop when you need to, OR actually go afk and take the preset FPs throughout the world. There's no middle or having both on this issue...stop making blizz change what used to be a great game instead of spouting out your virtually useless suggestions. If you dont believe me just look at what this game has become compared to what it used to be simply because of a playerbase that is never satisfied with what the devs like, and instead just QQ about it until it gets made easier for them meanwhile threatening not to give blizz their moneys anymore.
    Last edited by blazeskies117; 2011-01-28 at 01:16 AM.

Even though we have FP's, they are rather annoying and Blizzard needs to fix them. I shouldn't have to fly through 4 towns to get to the place I want to go, the FP should take me directly there. They should also add an option to change your destination or to dismount midflight.

I dont think we necessarily need a new system for it, I think they just need to redo the current one.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    Yeah I'm with you Yersinia. But why stop there? They should program autopilot so it actually mines the node for you, and fends off people who are trying to gank you by optimising your dps output for pvp. It should also pay you the same as you would pay a flightmaster since it's your mount right? Oh oh and they should put it in raids so that you can just let the game raid for you while you watch tv and stuff and then it should autoroll on upgrades so you can just log in 2 weeks later and find yourself fully decked in gear!

[/sarcasm]
    There's already a program that does that. No official support for raiding sadly

Quote Originally Posted by rolecks View Post
    I think I should be able to fly anywhere I want. I mean ffs I'm riding around on the skeleton of a giant fire-breathing dragon and I'm wielding a legendary weapon that destroyed the Lich King, but if I want to take a trip to Thunder Bluff I gotta wait for the public bus while some level 5 /pokes the shit outta me.

10+ Year Old Account

[/sarcasm]
    Do you really take this much pride in your flying around?
    or are you just being funny?

Quote Originally Posted by erotix View Post
    Do you really take this much pride in your flying around?
    or are you just being funny?
    Can't it be both?

I think my thinly veiled point was that anything more than flightmasters is effectively Blizzard playing the game for you. Soz, next time I'll write it in crayon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't it be both?

I think my thinly veiled point was that anything more than flightmasters is effectively Blizzard playing the game for you. Soz, next time I'll write it in crayon.
    Yeah because flying around is really where its at on wow.
    I think the bot farming and bot raiding would be blizzard effectively playing the game for you.

my auto pilot idea is no more blizzard playing for you than flightmasters.

BUT, it's easy to see my pipe dream idea doesnt have the backing of wow players so...
    whats the point in bringing it up.

dumb idea anyways *runs and cries*

ive always wanted trade wind flying allows you to benefit from trade winds while flying really high going 3 times faster then normal!

I once played a free mmo called "Perfect world" u could fly up in the air and on your map u could put somekind of line, so when u did that and started flying, it told you how long it will take, and when u came too the end it will stop you there. Then u dont accindently ramp into a high mountain halfway.

Thats the idea you are looking for, too use for archetolegy. Using flightpatch take too long.

You can do that with auto-run now.
    You can do that with auto-run now.
    An auto-pilot system may or may not solve this, depending on whether or not it lands you at the desired location or leaves you hovering above (which, of course, doesn't mean you can't be killed anyway). Either way, going AFK on a PvP server is pretty much asking to be killed anyway, regardless of flight path use.

That's the penalty for minimizing/going afk and not using the flight master system.
    Last edited by cybermind; 2011-01-28 at 01:22 AM.