Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    First your comparing two different types of graphic styles. WoW went the more cartoon look. ToR has the Bioware look that furnishes a lot of its games. I think WoW looks great on high end systems but for those that can not afford it the graphics become rather bland. I say this because I have a high end system and my roomate does not. I would not be able to stand playing WoW on his computer. It is ugly.

Now I am a huge Star Wars fan. I will defiantly be checking into ToR. However you are comparing a MMO Monster (WoW) to an infant into the community of MMO'S. Will Bioware get it right? I think so, they have not let me down with one of their games.

I think Glo should remove those engineering goggles cause they are clearly not working..

Deleted
    It will take time until one MMO will come out that really has this beautiful rich looking diverse world as WOW imho. Star Wars is nice but as far as i can see the design of the world just doesn't let my heart jump as WOW does Graphics don't care at all when they aren't used well.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    yes, that I posted, and yes, you will continue to be a fanboy no matter how hard I try to convince you. Just so I don't have to type it all out again:

That alone should be enough proof that texture quality is much higher. Saying its lower is laughable.
    I don't think you understand what texture resolution means. Also, you're not going to have gear that changes shape and size on your character in swtor, doing so creates massive issues with the artwork department trying to prevent clipping with other pieces. This is why WoW and every other MMO on the planet uses glued to the skin gear for the most part.

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 10:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ashbury View Post
    And WoW junkies will be WoW junkies. If you so hate this why come here and post in a thread mainly aimed at people planning to play the game. Stay away from ToR. We don't want you there. And if the graphics is the only thing that is important to you in a game I can only pity you(which it seems it is because you are nitpicking old screens and comparing character models to environment (I laughed hard at that).. If a game lacks content even the best of the best in terms of graphics will not help it succeed.
    He asked what was going against the game, I stated it was using a VERY dated graphics engine with very poor texture work for a modern game.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I am not sure what engine you think they are using? The wow engine is also very outdated now...

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I don't think you understand what texture resolution means. Also, you're not going to have gear that changes shape and size on your character in swtor, doing so creates massive issues with the artwork department trying to prevent clipping with other pieces. This is why WoW and every other MMO on the planet uses glued to the skin gear for the most part.

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 10:20 AM ----------

He asked what was going against the game, I stated it was using a VERY dated graphics engine with very poor texture work for a modern game.

those look live very different armor shapes and sizes to me.

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 10:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lealia View Post
    I am not sure what engine you think they are using? The wow engine is also very outdated now...
    Its using the HeroEngine, which is very modern and supports new features like PhysX and dx11

Quote Originally Posted by Lealia View Post
    When did I compare the two? Please show me. I simply said the game already looks like it came out 6 years ago.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    You made a halfassed statement without even bothering to check recent screenshots and videos. Do you even know what engine the game uses? If you are gonna say things against/for the game make sure what you are stating is up to date before you post.

Was talking to Glo but you are correct! Very good engine. Most MMO companies do not shoot for high end visual engines.

When did I compare the two? Please show me. I simply said the game already looks like it came out 6 years ago.
    I would love to play the MMO that looks like this 6 years ago, while being efficient enough to work on most computers.

Where did I ask you to compare them. I was simply asking what engine you thought they were using and that the WoW engine was outdated as well. Most MMo engines are outdated because of the time it takes to complete the whole package.

You made a halfassed statement without even bothering to check recent screenshots and videos. Do you even know what engine the game uses? If you are gonna say things against/for the game make sure what you are stating is up to date before you post.
    I know exactly what I'm stating. If you want to see what actual "modern graphics" look like in an MMO, take a look at TERA or Guild Wars 2.

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 10:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post

those look live very different armor shapes and sizes to me.

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 10:27 AM ----------

Its using the HeroEngine, which is very modern and supports new features like PhysX and dx11
    Like I said, you're not going to be able to change your gear. You'll have predefined armor sets.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/armor-progression

build pics

What are you talking about... that video is showing what types of armor can look like.. We have predefined armor sets in wow... They have use the same graphic for some armor and weapons over and over. Tier 11 was predetermined before Cata even launched... I am confused by your logic sir or ma'am.

You should also include the post that labels this

"Here you can see a short video that showcases just a few of the thousands of sets of armor and equipment available to you as a Bounty Hunter. The Bounty Hunter’s abilities and equipment increase as the video progresses, showing you how you might look at various stages in your character’s career in The Old Republic."

Thousands of armor sets... and that is just bounty hunter.

I know exactly what I'm stating. If you want to see what actual "modern graphics" look like in an MMO, take a look at TERA or Guild Wars 2.

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 10:33 AM ----------

Like I said, you're not going to be able to change your gear. You'll have predefined armor sets.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/armor-progression

haha thanks for not knowing what you are talking about.

Every piece of armor in WoW has a matching armor set. If it doesn't, its recolored from one that does. Just because there are armor sets doesn't mean you get each piece of armor at the same time. Armor slots are already confirmed for the game, so it doesn't even matter.

Holy crap, stop being dense. Perhaps I can simplify my statement even further:

There is no customization with gear outside of predefined sets.

Make sense?

build pics

Deleted
    Who said they were aiming at that sort of look? What, every new MMO needs to have shiny "modern" graphics to be considered good? They chose this visual style and have perfected it. It suits their needs and the look they want to achieve. God forbid creative thinking and individuality in todays world. Everything needs to look the same I guess.

Yeah... This video clearly shows "predefined armor sets", clearly! By the same logic a video showcasing the different tiers of armor in WoW is a video showing predefined armor sets in WoW.

Get informed please. Stop making idiotic posts.
    Last edited by mmocb95650c314; 2011-01-28 at 10:42 AM.

You can not customize your gear in WoW without predefined sets. See what I did there.

Guild Wars 2 uses the same engine as the first one but it has been heavily modified. (Fun game though, I like it!)

Tera Online uses the same engine that almost everyone uses.. Unreal 3. Good engine.
    Last edited by Lealia; 2011-01-28 at 10:44 AM.

Who said they were aiming at that sort of look? What, every new MMO needs to have shiny "modern" graphics to be considered good? They chose this visual style and have perfected it. It suits their needs and the look they want to achieve.

Yeah... This video clearly shows "predefined armor sets", clearly! By the same logic a video showcasing the different tiers of armor in WoW is a video showing predefined armor sets in WoW.

Get informed please. Stop making idiotic posts.
    Never said it absolutely had to have incredible graphics. I simply stated that the game had poor graphics for a modern game. Especially one with an apparent $300 million budget.

EDIT: Nice editing there. I'm not making idiotic posts, I'm simply stating fact. Sue me. This entire thread is a fine example of fanboyism gone wild.

build pics

Holy crap, stop being dense. Perhaps I can simplify my statement even further:

Make sense?
    considering there are armor slots, that shows that you can, in fact, customize your gear.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0nqdbiy3bE jump to 9:38

also before you jump on how the graphics suck, etc because I know you will, this video is 2 years old and the game looks nothing like that anymore as you *HOPEFULLY* Can tell by all the screenshots posted in this thread.

You were already proven wrong. Hopefully you wont deny video PROOF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't have enough interest in Star Wars to pay a subscription. They've always been buggy games in the past and Bioware tends to do something horribly wrong.

Eg. Mass Effect 1 vehicles being even worse than WoW ones