Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I havent tryed much and that was before the changes and with worse gear XD But with the new shield buff and casting normal heal that reduce the weakend soul i dont know what is more usefull :P personally i would still avoid it for now but its worth a shot when i have more raid gear.

Also to Facerockker, you dont do this when your mainly focussing on the MT i asume, but its very usefull if your focused on the melee.

Jesus, apparently classes are a LOT more broken than I thought at the moment, if Smite is more HPS than using an actual Heal. :/

Sorry all.
    Check out my expansion concept, World of Warcraft: Whispers of Madness
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Brittle Bones now has a 50% chance to turn the target into a purple-wearing supervillain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Facerockker, as it is looking right now smite specc is only superior when you have some sort of damage increase on the target that you are smiting. Therefore it is only useful on a handful encounters atm, since holy has a lot better throughput than disc in the current patch, even if you utuilze your shields perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

I have mixed feelings overall regarding attonement. I've done the whole halfus heroic healing thing (which is awesome fun) but I'm not sure that I would rely on attonement healing to keep a tank up in other encounters. The problem I have with it is that the target of the heal is not guarenteed to be the tank. On bosses where the tanks health can spike quite drastically you can leave yourself with a lot of work to do should your smite heal go to a random melee just as the tank gets clattered for a third of his health.

I prefer in most instances to roll continuous heals on the tank while they're not taking damage and then blow a pennance and greater heal when the spike comes. It also lets you reshield more often which is going to be a big deal after the patch. Of course, if you aren't assigned to just tank healing then attonement can be a nice alternative, but for pure tank healing I just won't rely on it at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would of replyed sooner to people but been running heroics on my priest, i was smite healing during it and it went well on alot of spots, at a full 5 stacks my smite can heal for 9-10K 3K more then a normal heal, atonement is very heavy of dps not standing in shit while i was at full stacks i new the tank and party were gunna take heavy damage and i then blew archangel and power infusion and prayer of mending with one inner focus, but when the party is safe and dps knows not to stand in stuff the tank will pretty much get all the heals
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

10+ Year Old Account
    I found that when healing as disc I would prefer not to go random heroics, usually people die from fire while out of rangehealable as disc, at least on bosses, where u can go oom from spaming your ineficcient heal by trying to keep them up. For starters I would clearly recommend going holy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasselina View Post
    I found that when healing as disc I would prefer not to go random heroics, usually people die from fire while out of rangehealable as disc, at least on bosses, where u can go oom from spaming your ineficcient heal by trying to keep them up. For starters I would clearly recommend going holy.
    i personally like disc more then holy that and i play it better to heh

Deleted
    A little offtopic question regarding atonement, ingame it says 8 yard range on the heal in the tooltip while datamining (e.g. wowhead and the like) say 15 yards. Can anyone confirm which of the following range statements are true? I don't really have any good way to measure it
    It's 15 yards. It was hotfixed a while ago.

Atonement is useful for filler heals between your main heals and it stacks evangelism for AA which is awesome. I wouldn't rely on it to keep a tank up alone (no inspiration is a downside for one), but weaving smites in with your penance, pw:s and gheals makes for a nice rotation.

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 11:59 AM ----------

Started as disc (in the days of 2.5% rapture), it's no worse than holy in bad gear. Also disc and holy have the same range so I have no idea why you were having more range issues as disc.

You shouldn't be spamming flash heal as either spec. Greater heal is more efficient as disc though so you can use it more.

Deleted
    Well... back to the Topic...
    I dont think grace should proc from attonement... in raids you use smiteheal just for 5stacks -> AA -> Grpheal or Highdps-Tankheal.
    Anything else would be stupid because in nearly all fights ur bound to keep your distance to Raidmembers/Bosses. The new Patch will bring grace to more than one target .. that should be enough for disc to power up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch4ppy View Post
    Well... back to the Topic...
    I dont think grace should proc from attonement... in raids you use smiteheal just for 5stacks -> AA -> Grpheal or Highdps-Tankheal.
    Anything else would be stupid because in nearly all fights ur bound to keep your distance to Raidmembers/Bosses. The new Patch will bring grace to more than one target .. that should be enough for disc to power up.
    well i like how it gives so much health at only a rough 300 Mana difference then a normal heal, again it would only be ussable when everyone is not taking damage, 300 mana for about 2-3K extra HP seems like a nice trade off in my eyes and could be used to heal tank during calm moments

edit: and on note it casts faster then a normal heal, as well the heal is not 100% heal of the damage, you have to think of the healing multipliers

Dont let bad players do important stuff. I use attonement in every encounter - at specific points of the encounters. When low damage is coming in, attonement rocks. Stupid priests would try to heal the add tank at maloriak with attonement when 9+ adds are on him. It is situational. It can be awesome and can be aweful.
    It is by no means a manaregeneration spell ! You can stack up x5 evangelism and then go into high damage phase with +15% heal.

Healing as a priest isnt a 3 button job like a shamans healer. You have to make good choices to be efficient and dont let people die at the same time.

Deleted
    AA specc is cool for 5 mans. Period. The only raid encounter actually AA friendly is Halfus in Bastion of Twilight.

Want an explanation? Random 10k heal every 2 or so seconds even if not overhealing is for tank healing. Not even trying to mention raid healing anyway.

Even if you smite only for Archangel +15% healing it's not that easy to snipe 5 smites for the buff when raid/tank is constantly being bombarded.

the bigges problem now is - we don't have any good alternative. SoS is awful now (will be buffed nicely though in 4.0.6), and inner will is not worth taking befor eyou enter hard modes really

For a poster above me. Every encounter? Really? A'lakir - attonement doesnt work at all, Council - its pretty useless since heave AoE phase is flooding you with dmg and you really don't have open window for 5 smites, Chimaeron - no time to smite spam - you have your group to keep above 10k. And so on.

Don't get me wrong - I think AA is a cool idea on paper but falling behind vs the real world
    And this conversation will be meaningless anyway since Blizz is clearly pushing us into MT healing anyway (PoH nerf, grace buff, penance buff, SoS buff, and most hateful - 4T11 bonus).
    Last edited by mmocc8bcec85d4; 2011-01-28 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hipo View Post
    And this conversation will be meaningless anyway since Blizz is clearly pushing us into MT healing anyway (PoH nerf, grace buff, penance buff, SoS buff, and most hateful - 4T11 bonus).
    Don't forget the new PoM glyph!

Deleted
    I just got outhealed by a DK for 200k (he did 1.4milion), so u better go Holy...
    I got zerged by 3 warriors as soon as i resurrected so it was a bad round, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by abbot View Post
    atonement sucks for anyone not playing shadow. relying on RNG heals is bad. spec out of it, cast heal like normal, enjoy success.
    What? First off. There is NO way you can spec into atonement as Shadow. Second, Atonement is pretty viable in raid. I use it on our 25 man Heroic Halfus kills because it's OP as all hell. I also use it for Chimaeron. Though it's heals are random to a a point the extra DPS you do helps for close fights with enrages. With the new grace patch coming I feel I may be playing Disc on more fight's then I am Holy.

Thanks to Amalisa for this great Sig!

I like how everyone seems to think that if a priest says he specs and uses Atonement, they are probably spamming smite while their raid is dying around them!

Smite-Healing simply replaces Heal as the spell to cast during lull phases, y'known, the phase just before the ZOMGRAIDDAMAGE! one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbi View Post
    What? First off. There is NO way you can spec into atonement as Shadow. Second, Atonement is pretty viable in raid. I use it on our 25 man Heroic Halfus kills because it's OP as all hell. I also use it for Chimaeron. Though it's heals are random to a a point the extra DPS you do helps for close fights with enrages. With the new grace patch coming I feel I may be playing Disc on more fight's then I am Holy.
    haha fml i meant evangelism / archangel >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbi View Post
    Thats alot of the reason id like Grace to include atonement personally, and for the quote here V
    Quote Originally Posted by sp101 View Post
    Smite-Healing simply replaces Heal as the spell to cast during lull phases, y'known, the phase just before the ZOMGRAIDDAMAGE! one.

Heroic Halfus is the only raid boss that it is viable, the HPM is worse then using heal, and the mana return is not very much overall

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    Heroic Halfus is the only raid boss that it is viable, the HPM is worse then using heal, and the mana return is not very much overall
    The hpm is not much different from Heal - bear in mind you get a 30% mana reduction on smite (and penance) with 5 stacks of evangelism. The mana return is nothing special, but 15% +healing is an amazing buff.