Starting to lvl a healing priest...

Let's start off with that I am no stranger to healing or what a pain in the ass it can be. I play a resto druid as my main, but I want to branch off a bit and I chose a priest of all things. So I came to get advice.

I have a 38 shadow priest as is, but I started a new one on my main server and I intend her to be shadow for leveling alone, but as far as healing 5-mans goes you would suggest holy right? My question is how to go about this. Spec, starting off healing at lvl 15 or waiting till later, etc. I tried healing on my 38 and was frustrated with how hard it seemed in comparison to druid healing.

What do you guys suggest since I'm going to actively start leveling this priest in my spare time...

IMO priests have always been a bit weird compared to other heal classes. (And I have all of them).

Weird as when starting out at low item level they seem to be the weakest and hardest class to play, but when you get some decent upgrades they suddenly become the easiest. This is mainly due to the toolbox where priests have a lot more healing spells then the other classes and that they scale very well.

I'd buy dual spec asap and keep questing as spriest. When it comes to heal spec things will change a bit when the next patch hits, to the point where disc again might be the best 5 man spec before you get some upgrades like it was in WotlK.

I love healing as disc, went from 15-45 so far using nothing but dungeon finder as disc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post
    IMO priests have always been a bit weird compared to other heal classes. (And I have all of them).

Weird as when starting out at low item level they seem to be the weakest and hardest class to play, but when you get some decent upgrades they suddenly become the easiest. This is mainly due to the toolbox where priests have a lot more healing spells then the other classes and that they scale very well.

I'd buy dual spec asap and keep questing as spriest. When it comes to heal spec things will change a bit when the next patch hits, to the point where disc again might be the best 5 man spec before you get some upgrades like it was in WotlK.
    i completely agree with waynhim, this is the experience i had, once i learned it was easy as and REALLY REALLY FUN HEALING CLASS. Once you get higher and get better spells, holy becomes alot easier and alot more fun. Dont you dare give up on Priest healing, its the most fun ive ever had EVER, i cant get enough of it

Welcome to the awesomeness that is the priest class

I agree that dual-spec is a must for leveling. As for the healing spec, it really is a matter of choice (i.e both specs are quite equivalent) but I feel that up until you get outland gear disc will seem easier due to easier mana conservation.

Good luck

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, leveling a priest should have been widely improved since I leveled. It's doable to level as a healer until you can get dual spec, after which you're better of taking a shadow off-spec.
    I don't really know about lower level dungeon healing, but I can't imagine it being that hard. Try to get a much pieces with Spirit on them, as it will help your mana regen a lot. I've found that running a lot of dungeons is great, since you both improve your gear and practice healing.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Basicly healing as holy consist of 'spammin' heal on the tank, and use CoH if someone does something wrong and take dmg, whereas disc is spamming smite and using PoH when someone takes dmg, the difference is that as disc you're able to do semi-competent dps while keeping the tank up, atleast that's my experience, my priest just hit 74 yesterday btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackleino View Post
    Let's start off with that I am no stranger to healing or what a pain in the ass it can be. I play a resto druid as my main, but I want to branch off a bit and I chose a priest of all things. So I came to get advice.

I have a 38 shadow priest as is, but I started a new one on my main server and I intend her to be shadow for leveling alone, but as far as healing 5-mans goes you would suggest holy right? My question is how to go about this. Spec, starting off healing at lvl 15 or waiting till later, etc. I tried healing on my 38 and was frustrated with how hard it seemed in comparison to druid healing.

What do you guys suggest since I'm going to actively start leveling this priest in my spare time...
    I see disc priests healing in the low level dungeons on normal, because shield is still very good and not as mana expensive at those levels, and it's what I went with when leveling my priest. Though if you hit 85 before patch, I'd go Holy as Disc right now isn't very good for 5 man level 85 heroics and shield-whoring it up is just not possible.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

Deleted
    While leveling.... Go discipline! You can easily heal 5 mans and you don't need to respec to shadow while you are questing. I do pvp once in a while and discipline is kinda squishy but if you can master that spec, you can do everything in the game, ofc not tanking lol

DISC
    with a side order of DISC and some DISC on top XD

its ridiculous for healing lvling instances, although healing isnt really the right word, coz you barely do any! its all absorbs XD
    i quite often find myself renewing the shield on the tank before it runs out, coz mobs arent breaking it O_O

you know something is overpowered wen the healer doesnt appear at all on the healing meters (or very VERY little) because hes just shielded the whole grp the entire way through the instance and sat on/near 100% mana the whole time

might just been that my priest is in pretty much all the heirlooms possibly and int/spi blues from dungeon bags, but its mostly just overpowered PW:Shield awesomeness

that or you start to dps for lols XD SW:Pain, dev plague and then wrath spamming for beautiful wings

currently cruising past 60 on rested exp and havent had even the slightest of problems yet
    it was even easier pre cata, before they buffed lvling instances >_<

and before its said, i know it gets harder later on, but lvling instances seem to be a joke so far
    Last edited by reverendball; 2011-01-28 at 03:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who's played resto shaman at cap in wrath+cata, resto Druid at cap in wrath, and holy paladin from 1-72, I've gotta say, holy priest looks like a horrible tree.
    It looks to me as if it has combined both boring and complicated, so I stayed away.

Just newly levelled a priest from 1-40 as disc, and I absolutely loved it (evangelicism spec)

Disc questing was fine, damage was never a problem, and disc healing in 5mans was pretty smooth too, bubble everyone, and be ready with renew/penance and maybe a flash heal for the tank after bubble drops.
    Battlegrounds as low level disc were great also, push out insane dmg and healing, although mana did show up as an issue in PvP.

After hitting 40 I split into 2 specs, healing disc (no evangelicism) and shadow.

Being perfecty honest, I barely touched my shadow spec, I spent most of the time oom, although I will admit it was a noticeable damage increase.

My 100% opinion is disc.
    Disc for healing, disc for dungeons, disc for PvP, is teh shizz!
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

Holy is by far the funniest healing tree is you ask me, but that's the thing, don't care what's good or bad, take whatever that you find funniest

15+ Year Old Account
    Right now, Holy is king at 85, but Disc is exactly what it was in Wrath up until 83 or so -- overpowered and fun.

You get Penance immediately, and you'll have Atonement early on, so you can use Smite, bubble, and penance alone to heal (and do damage).