What's The Issue With Resto?

I have been seeing alot about Resto Druids doing less healing then other healers, and to be honest I don't see what they are mad about, I dont see any issues with it, maybe everyone is talking about 25man? but personally I am having 0 issues with healing or mana in 10 mans.
    Last edited by Mugz; 2011-01-28 at 08:27 PM.

Ye it's mostly 25 mans, if paragorn says something half the forum starts to QQ w/o even realising 10 and 25 man is completely different.
    It's the same deal with resto shamans.
    Last edited by Griefel; 2011-01-28 at 08:28 PM.

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Griefel View Post
    Ye it's mostly 25 mans, if paragorn says something half the forum starts to QQ w/o even realising 10 and 25 man is completely different.
    It's the same deal with resto shamans.
    Actually, it's mostly 25 man heroics. Druids simply lack the AOE raid healing toolset to contend with holy priests or paladins. Hopefully the various buffs from 4.0.6 will help to even things out, but from what I hear paladins and priests are getting buffed also (feel free to correct me).

Anyways, it's a fundamental flaw in the Resto healing design and what Blizzard wanted to change in Cataclysm, "no more rejuv/WG spam". However, other than WG and rejuv there is a blantant lack of other adequate AOE healing abilities. Therein lies the problem and unless Blizzard adds another AOE heal of some sort, look forward to an expansion of the buff/nerf merry go round in an attempt to (unsuccessfully) balance WG/Rejuv.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin535 View Post
    Actually, it's mostly 25 man heroics. Druids simply lack the AOE raid healing toolset to contend with holy priests or paladins. Hopefully the various buffs from 4.0.6 will help to even things out, but from what I hear paladins and priests are getting buffed also (feel free to correct me).

Anyways, it's a fundamental flaw in the Resto healing design and what Blizzard wanted to change in Cataclysm, "no more rejuv/WG spam". However, other than WG and rejuv there is a blantant lack of other adequate AOE healing abilities. Therein lies the problem and unless Blizzard adds another AOE heal of some sort, look forward to an expansion of the buff/nerf merry go round in an attempt to (unsuccessfully) balance WG/Rejuv.
    They think AOE healing is not good because it makes their encounter design harder, that's the reason they nerfed all healing overall.

And also OP's point regarding 25 mans was more towards the fact that 25 man hc guilds represent maybe less than 1% of the people raiding, most raid 10 mans, where there aren't much problems for resto druids.

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Its true, in heroics we simply cannot compete healing the raid.

The tank is another matter, we sure can compete on healing the tank, but thats not really the issue. If you are running heroics and you want efficiency in your healer core, then you roll with what classes are best suited to the damage output of the encounter.

Yes i know that there are rdruids in 25m hm fights, but the math just simply isnt there when it comes to pure HPS output vs mana regen for us ON HEROIC FIGHTS.

Normal 25m and 10 man, ya, we're the ideal healer and can usually wipe the floor with anyone and keep everyone alive

IF THE HEALER KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOIN

^ is why most high end guilds running heroics dont have very many rdruid healers. they just simply cant cope with the changes that were put on us with cata.

4.06 will bring back a few things, but im still not sure that its going to be enough to normalize us against other aoe healers. Besides, aoe healing is what a druid was meant to do imo. IF they make us too strong then they throw away other classes, if they make us too weak, then they just dont get brought to raids. Its a hard thing balancing druids because there just isnt a good way to balance a class that was meant for hots first, and direct heals second vs other healers

imo

My guild has 4 Hard Mode bosses killed in 25s and it very clear what we lack, a raid wide saving CD, a Tank saving CD and burst aoe to go along with the burst aoe damage from hard modes.

Guardian Spirit, Pain Suppression, Aura Mastery rotations, Bubble + Sacrifice are used on every hard mode fight in my guild, and i purposely place myself outside the resto shaman group to help out the other healers and convince my raid leader that I'm valuable since i can heal without Mana tide(making Mana tide raid wide next patch will be nice)

if i go all out and pad meters with Rejuv spam and tranq i will have high HPS but thats not what saves a raid every time, that well placed GS/PS on tank or OT is what saves raids and i can't do that.
    Last edited by Chronosaga; 2011-01-29 at 02:18 PM.

The whole problem is our lack if BURST healing. Even once 4.0.6 goes live we'll still be behind paladins, maybe priests also. Even in 10m heroics a paladin should be wrecking a druid when there's heavy healing to be dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronosaga View Post
    My guild has 4 Hard Mode bosses killed in 25s and it very clear what we lack, a raid wide saving CD, a Tank saving CD and burst aoe to go along with the burst aoe damage from hard modes.

Guardian Spirit, Pain Suppression, Aura Mastery rotations, Bubble + Sacrifice are used on every hard mode fight in my guild, and i purposely place myself outside the resto shaman group to help out the other healers and convince my raid leader that I'm valuable since i can heal without Mana tide(making Mana tide raid wide next patch will be nice)

if i go all out and pad meters with Rejuv spam and tranq i will have high HPS but thats not what saves a raid every time, that well placed GS/PS on tank or OT is what saves raids and i can't do that.
    This is pretty spot on, and the most innate flaw of both resto druids and shamans. While healing numbers can, and will be, tweaked, there is no making up for the lack of raid utility.
    Given the way encounters are currently designed on heroic, they lean on proper cooldown rotation. This is an issue that becomes even more apparent when you try those hardmodes on 10man with both a druid and shaman healing. Suddenly you're limited to one or two tank cooldowns from your healers, which becomes a massive obstacle. It's a problem that was already apparent to me from Wrath raiding in environments like Hc Sind, and it's the main reason I don't intend to return to my resto druid.
    Not that I'm a massive fan of homogenisation, but if Blizzard is going to structure PvE encounters like they are now, all the healers should be able to provide proper utility cooldowns on tanks or raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the 25HM fight and the druid. Look at WoL and then look at 25HM.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...g_Descent/hps/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/..._Twilight/hps/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...e_4_Winds/hps/

Certain fights, druids make the lists. But it's pretty obvious how few druids and shaman are compared to priests and pallys.(mostly priests).

But as said, it's not a hps problem. It's a hps, plus no real burst, no defensive CDs, and no spike AoE heal. HMs is a big change from regs. If we had great throughput in all situations it would make up for the things we are missing. Since we don't have either, it puts us far behind. Shamans are taken for mana tide. Everything else a resto druid gives another specd druid or another class gives just as well or better. Are we broken? No. 5/13 25HM and some fights I lag behind, some fights I keep up well. Some fights have a huge gap between players and some don't. 25 reg modes, priests and pallys still have an advantage but druids can top it a lot easier and the gap is very small.

In the end, unless you are trying for world 1st through 5th-10th or even 50th, these things aren't as big of a deal. Middle ground HM guilds are still taking their resto druids and they are still doing fine. If priests and pallys can pull 15hps and druids can pull 13-14, that's not a big deal. When you are trying for world 1sts, that 1-2k hps is a big difference.

10s and 25s are different. Regs and HMs are different. World 1st guilds and everyone else are vastly different.

Ur aim as a healer is not to top the metter, but keeping ur lads up. For ex at Omnotron im first, at magmaw i'm 5-6th.. this doesnt mean is smth wrong with the resto duty. You always learn/perform, and this aint theory but reality.

Regards, respect, peace,
    Prozah.

Question Resto, how is it?

I was planning to start playing on my druid again, always loved the resto spec.

How are resto druids doing in PvP and PvE these days?

Quote Originally Posted by mape1992 View Post
    I was planning to start playing on my druid again, always loved the resto spec.

How are resto druids doing in PvP and PvE these days?
    Not very strong in PvP atm as far as I know.. in PvE druid's arnt doing that bad currently and theres some buffs coming next patch which will be nice.