Quote Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
    This is not the issue. The game is running poorly on AMD cards in general, my friend with a GTX 9800 is getting better frames, so apparently there's something wrong. Go read the forums, please. Then you can realize how big the problem is. 11.2 didn't fix anything, it's the game that is poorly optimized.
    I have read the forums, you realise Trion don't make the 3d engine right? that this is an ATI/Gamebyro issue? (well possibly DX11/Gamebyro Issue)

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/38...is/index9.html Seems the 11.1's are best drivers atm

Also worth asking, are you running the game in any kind of windowed mode? As even fullscreen windowed can cause the gfx card to run at windows clock speeds instead of game clockspeeds.
    Last edited by Dammagia; 2011-02-20 at 12:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yai View Post
    Yeah, well.
    Maybe you should change the first line to a Pro-Rift Poster saying something about how boring and old and stupid Wow is, and how all people who play Wow are just sheep and kiddies, and how innovativ and great Rift is?
    The only Pro Rifter doing that was Puremallace and he is banned now.
    The rest of us dont even want to compare. We just want to be allowed to enjoy and talk about Rift. But for some reason that is not acceptable...

Quote Originally Posted by Yai View Post
    Yeah, well.
    Maybe you should change the first line to a Pro-Rift Poster saying something about how boring and old and stupid Wow is, and how all people who play Wow are just sheep and kiddies, and how innovativ and great Rift is?
    Okay, in that case this is what usually happens:

Pro-Rift: I've played WoW for 6 years, I want something different. / Cataclysm killed my enjoyment of WoW.
    Anti-Rift: You're still playing WoW. Rift is exactly like WoW / it's a reskinned WoW.
    Pro-Rift: No, it's not, and even if it was I'm having fun in Rift which is more than I can say for WoW.
    Anti-Rift: WoW did everything first and better. If you enjoy Rift more than WoW there must be something wrong with you.
    Pro-Rift: If you think WoW is so great then go play it and leave us alone to discuss Rift.
    Anti-Rift: No, (even though I may possibly be basing my opinion off of one screenshot I didn't like or having not even gotten out of the starting zone in beta) I'm going to stay in this thread and continue to post why I think Rift sucks. (Probably because I have nothing better to do between heroic queue times. :P) I'm also going to justify that by noting it's a WoW fan site and no one is allowed to talk about anything but WoW here ever!
    Pro-Rift: Well, that's constructive/mature. Sounds like a lot of fanboy rage to me.
    Anti-Rift: OMG, I'm trying to have a discussion and you're calling me a kiddie/fanboy. Proof Rift players are just a bunch of WoW haters and you shouldn't listen to their heresy!

I could go on and on, really. :P Rift vs. WoW arguments over almost 150 pages condensed into two posts!

Deleted
    Just did some PVP at 28. I must say it is not very impressive so far.

The maps are very similar to WoWs design, which is fine, I can't see how they could do it much different. They give a nice count down at the start which I think is a nice touch. The problem is Multipul times through the BG we were say 6v6 battle where nothing happened. The healing is so high (or the damage too low) that no one died, and the fights just sat there - stalemate with no progression.

The other problem, the UI is kinda slow compared to WoW. If for example you are trying to finish someone off and they turn and run, you try to slow them. By the time the shot actually goes off (instant shot) they are already out of range. This also happened multipul times and is very frustrating.

I really hope they fix the UI speed, or the general game speed. WoW prides itself on quick gameplay, you press this button and it happens immediately. I have never played another MMO that has done that since. I hope they fix it because it is a pretty good game, it would be bad for the small things to drag it down before it gets the credit it deserves.

Deleted
    This whole thread is filled with bunch of people who are trying to quit wow, so they are replacing it with another game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper View Post
    This whole thread is filled with bunch of people who are trying to quit wow, so they are replacing it with another game.
    I belive a lot of us quit WoW long ago... And tbh, WoW was my replacement for EQ, which was a replacement for SWG which was a replacement for UO. Your point is?

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Just did some PVP at 28. I must say it is not very impressive so far.

The maps are very similar to WoWs design, which is fine, I can't see how they could do it much different. They give a nice count down at the start which I think is a nice touch. The problem is Multipul times through the BG we were say 6v6 battle where nothing happened. The healing is so high (or the damage too low) that no one died, and the fights just sat there - stalemate with no progression.

The other problem, the UI is kinda slow compared to WoW. If for example you are trying to finish someone off and they turn and run, you try to slow them. By the time the shot actually goes off (instant shot) they are already out of range. This also happened multipul times and is very frustrating.

I really hope they fix the UI speed, or the general game speed. WoW prides itself on quick gameplay, you press this button and it happens immediately. I have never played another MMO that has done that since. I hope they fix it because it is a pretty good game, it would be bad for the small things to drag it down before it gets the credit it deserves.
    They will probably have to do something about healing in pvp, especially the passive healing like radiant spores and cadence

As far as delay, I kinda see where you are coming from. It feels like GCD punishes you more than in wow, maybe it's because skills activate on key press, not on key release like in wow. There's an option in rift to change that so I might experiment post launch

It could also just be that they netcode calculates things like range checking differently. I don't know how either game does it so I can only speculate. For instance maybe in wow, your client says it's in range so you can hit them, while Rift checks both clients locations. Who knows, but yes it feels different.

I managed to get the beta installed this morning so I've given it a whirl, rolling a Defiant warrior. My first thought wasn't "this is so much like WoW" at all. More like a combination of WAR and LotrO with healthy doses of WoW. Not that I see what that has to do with anything, all MMOs borrow stuff from each other.

Being a beta it looks very good and plays good. Some of the spells I found unresponsive, not sure if it was down to lag or something I didn't account for but it did annoy me.

I've only played it for a few hours so I can't say much about any endgame. But I had a nagging feeling it all felt contrived and generic, at least in the start area. Stuff was happening all over the place: explosions and people screaming or crying, but it still felt like it was more of a theatre display and I was merely in the audience watching it.

I will however play it more throughout today and maybe roll another class to get a better feel for it. The talent tree seems to give lots of customisation options which I really enjoyed playing around with.

My $0.02.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hailey View Post
    They will probably have to do something about healing in pvp, especially the passive healing like radiant spores and cadence

As far as delay, I kinda see where you are coming from. It feels like GCD punishes you more than in wow, maybe it's because skills activate on key press, not on key release like in wow. There's an option in rift to change that so I might experiment post launch

It could also just be that they netcode calculates things like range checking differently. I don't know how either game does it so I can only speculate. For instance maybe in wow, your client says it's in range so you can hit them, while Rift checks both clients locations. Who knows, but yes it feels different.
    Yea, I don't care at all if games feel different. In some aspects the game seems to be different in the wrong direction which is a shame.
    As to the on key press option, I have an addon in WoW that does the same thing, so the feel should be the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephakay View Post
    You can run it on fairly lowend machines. However it does require more of your machine then wow and EQ. Then again look at the graphics. It should not come as such a big surprise.
    Are you kidding me? Rift engine is really poorly optimized. Even Rift fanbois admit it, they just deflect reality by "olol its beta it has debuger runing lol"...

Quote Originally Posted by Proper View Post
    There's some truth to this, but i think its also a spontaneous reaction to the disappointment of cataclysm to be honest. We won't know if Rift has legs or not until 3-6 months after launch, but i figure their quality of beta at least points them in the direction of success.

I've stopped playing the Rift beta since i want the content to be fresh at launch. My 6 year old guild has already downgraded raids from 25 mans to 10s due to lack of interest, I don't think Cataclysm will hold people's attention much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    We won't know if Rift has legs or not until 3-6 months after launch, but i figure their quality of beta at least points them in the direction of success.

If they don't spend those 6 months fixing basic gameplay (I'm looking at SquareEnix here) they could have a terrific chance of moving forward from release and gather subscribers while they do it. Many of the past so-called "WoW killers" never stood a chance because they weren't finished upon release and needed 6 months or sometimes 1 year to get up to speed - at which point it was too late because most players had cancelled their accounts and gone back to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephakay View Post
    You can run it on fairly lowend machines. However it does require more of your machine then wow and EQ. Then again look at the graphics. It should not come as such a big surprise.
    You've got this all wrong. We should all be comparing our frames-per-second to a 7 year old graphic engines with low rez textures -- anything that has a slower framerate is poorly optimized.

---------- Post added 2011-02-20 at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by levitate View Post
    If they don't spend those 6 months fixing basic gameplay (I'm looking at SquareEnix here) they could have a terrific chance of moving forward from release and gather subscribers while they do it. Many of the past so-called "WoW killers" never stood a chance because they weren't finished upon release and needed 6 months or sometimes 1 year to get up to speed - at which point it was too late because most players had cancelled their accounts and gone back to WoW.
    Agree 100%. If they can maintain the same focus and responsiveness to problems that we see during the Rift beta, then i think they have a strong chance at a big hit in the MMO space.

Listening to some of their podcasts, they seem to be pretty solid. They have world builder utilities, that allow them to design zones without much developer intervention... they indicated a solid zone could be built from scratch in about 30 days with a dedicated team -- this is including quests, mob spawns, loot tables, etc. That bodes well for potential expansions (or just new content). Their budget for the MMO was $50m, and they haven't burned all the $ yet. With luck, they can get at least 50% of their funding back in game orders in the first 30 days.

Balancing the souls once they see this game 'live' is important.

They seem to 'get the MMO fundamentals. "Yes, we realise mMO housing is in big demand. Yes, we can do it. No, spending 3-6 months to create a housing system that players will use at most for a few hours of gameplay, is not a good use of our time.". Their modus operandi seems to be around balance, open world gameplay, and end game content. I think they 'get' it.

Deleted
    Well I managed to get my rig run Rift at 45 FPS now. That being said, there was an amazing invasion event eralyer today on my server. Ther were over 100 people fighting off the major rifts in one place (several hundreds were scattered among the othermajor/minor rifts or defending the city from invaders), and my FPS never droped below 45. What I did was turn off shadows completely and set everything else to max (including AA and supersampling).

Just dl the beta and have a couple of quesitons

beta questions
    3 of us started friday and well I am in a different server than them.
    Can I transfer or can I start chrs on more than one server?

is there any list of east, central, west coast time zones on the servers?

the classes are lets just say DARN there are a LOT of choices.
    If you start a mage with 3 trees can you at any time change a tree and have all points available for the new tree?
    Guess I should say no penalty

Can you do any damage a cleric ROFL
    ouch this one is tough to get going?

will addons be allowed in the future?

WHAT NO GEARSCORE!!!! ROFL
    Last edited by sparks; 2011-02-20 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    I've stopped playing the Rift beta since i want the content to be fresh at launch. My 6 year old guild has already downgraded raids from 25 mans to 10s due to lack of interest, I don't think Cataclysm will hold people's attention much longer.
    for every guild that is slowing down or stopping raiding there are 10 or 20 others doing fine.

Deleted
    So played rift now! for a total of 16h maybe
    kinda fun:d
    tho!
    Yeah no tho, aint that far in so can't complain =) BRB!

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    Just dl the beta and have a couple of quesitons

beta questions
    3 of us started friday and well I am in a different server than them.
    Can I transfer or can I start chrs on more than one server?

the classes are lets just say DARN there are a LOT of choices.
    If you start a mage with 3 trees can you at any time change a tree and have all points available for the new tree?
    Guess I should say no penalty

Can you do any damage a cleric ROFL
    ouch this one is tough to get going?

will addons be allowed in the future?

WHAT NO GEARSCORE!!!! ROFL
    Shard button on the character select screen to change servers

You pick 3 souls in the first 20 or so minutes of gameplay, at level 13 you can start doing quest to get every soul (8 + 1 pvp soul) you can swap out any soul with 0 points in it with another unlocked soul, the cost to reset your soul points is minimal, a few gold. You can have 4 roles (quad spec) that you can change to whenever youre out of combat, it takes 2 seconds and you dont lose mana etc

Clerics do good damage, melee clerics are beasts later on, just pick "offensive" souls if you want to solo

Addons will allowed in the future

Deleted
    I've only played up to level 11 so far and im still in Freemarch - the defiant starting area. And i have to says its truely incredible. Today the whole zone was quite happily questing and training professions as you do and then BAM about 7 rifts opened and terrorised the whole zone, everyone got together to take down the invasions and rifts one by one. Such a great community spirit.
    I love the questing
    I love the lore
    I love the soul system
    I just wish i had a better computer to render the graphics better, im playing on quite low setting at the moment but im saving for a new computer now -may i add though, still even with my crap computer i never disconnect, sure it lags and the graphics arent as good as they could be but it can still handle it.

Great game, good buy.

Anyone know if the Shambler Hatchling (Walmart exclusive) and Bog Shambler (pet you buy from the Artifact Collector for Lucky Coins) are the exact same thing?

Looking at the runes you get from pre-ordering others places, I question how much longevity they have or if they're mostly just to add some sparkle to your character at low levels. However, I don't want to get the one with the pet if it's identical to one purchasable in game.