Hey guys my mouse cursor wont show up when i try and make my toon so i cant get past that any ideas Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    My big issue putting me off trying Rift, which looks to be a solid game, isn't just that so much is lifted from WoW. It's that they aren't going to any length to hide that it's just a copy of WoW in a new world.

I just watched the official trailer and it says "We're not in Azeroth anymore".

Lolwut? Is that even legal to say that? And whats the point in it. Be confident in your own game and it's own identity. Rift just seems like they are trying to get players from WoW currently disenchanted with it. Yes, they'll get some players this way, but they should try to attract other people too, not just 1 million or so WoW subscribers.

Idk, it just seems to show a lack of ambition when the best thing you can say about your game is "it's WoW just not in azeroth!"

Quote Originally Posted by AuthurDent View Post
    There are all sorts of Easter Eggs hidden and each Zone appears to have at least on epuzzle that you need to locate and do. I spent a little time this morning and went to the first 4...
    :O any chance you have the cords for the first one or any of them at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
    My big issue putting me off trying Rift, which looks to be a solid game, isn't just that so much is lifted from WoW. It's that they aren't going to any length to hide that it's just a copy of WoW in a new world.

I just watched the official trailer and it says "We're not in Azeroth anymore".

Lolwut? Is that even legal to say that? And whats the point in it. Be confident in your own game and it's own identity. Rift just seems like they are trying to get players from WoW currently disenchanted with it. Yes, they'll get some players this way, but they should try to attract other people too, not just 1 million or so WoW subscribers.

Idk, it just seems to show a lack of ambition when the best thing you can say about your game is "it's WoW just not in azeroth!"
    I think you completely misunderstood what that meant, sounds to me that you are so drunk on WoW you can't see past those WoWgoggles. Maybe it was a play on "We're not in Kansas anymore" (from Wizard of oz), as in we went from a boring world of farming into a magical land filled with lions and gumdrops!

I mean shit, no one hates apple for their ad campaigns and ALL they do is slander Windows for 1 minute. In return, Windows also makes commercials making fun of all smartphones on the market other than theirs. Pepsi pretty much tries to diss coke in every single commercial they had. And look at bulletstorm, they made a freaking GAME to try and show how boring CoD is. If you looked outside your window every once in a while, you'd see that this is pretty standard in advertising.

Go away and stop trying to steer the topic into a WoW vs Rift discussion. The moderator already posted a warning about it.
    Last edited by bleakeh; 2011-02-20 at 06:08 PM.

Mmmmn Gumdrops...

Anywho.. here are a couple shots of the other two puzzles...

Here's is the Gloamwood puzzle

And here is the Scarlet Gorge Puzzle:

My big issue putting me off trying Rift
    Is either your stubborn lazy ignorance or (my personal choice) SHEER TERROR THAT RIFT WILL DESTROY WOW!!

/disclaimerthisthreadinnowaycondonestheconceptthatriftwilldestroywowandanyonenotgettingthis needsakickinthenutsack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Is either your stubborn lazy ignorance or (my personal choice) SHEER TERROR THAT RIFT WILL DESTROY WOW!!

/disclaimerthisthreadinnowaycondonestheconceptthatriftwilldestroywowandanyonenotgettingthis needsakickinthenutsack.
    Rift will crash and burn because it lacks background story and its a complete copy of WoW. Warhammer was and is far superior than Rift and had the potential but in the end it failed aswell. Rift stands no chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, neither of you know me. I haven't logged into WoW for about 3 weeks because I'm bored of it. I'd play this if I thought it would be any better, instead of a clone that will wind up just as boring and with the exact same god awful community.

My issue, is why on earth would you say something like "we're not in azeroth anymore" in your promo for your original new game? I could understand Blizzard using that tagline for their new MMO or something, but it just shows a lack of ambition from Rift. Like all they want is disenfranchised WoW players.

Promoting yourself usually works better than slandering others tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Odyseas View Post
    Rift will crash and burn because it lacks background story and its a complete copy of WoW. Warhammer was and is far superior than Rift and had the potential but in the end it failed aswell. Rift stands no chance.
    This is a standard argument. No backing and no reasoning. I applaud your effort.

If you are interested in checking them out in beta... you can google the zone and puzzle.. like Gloamwood Puzzle

Solving the puzzles gave me a substantial amount of gold.. like 50g-80g and a nice Blue item that was MY toons type.. "cloth" I guess it drops items applicable to your toon

Not really, neither of you know me. I haven't logged into WoW for about 3 weeks because I'm bored of it. I'd play this if I thought it would be any better, instead of a clone that will wind up just as boring and with the exact same god awful community.

My issue, is why on earth would you say something like "we're not in azeroth anymore" in your promo for your original new game? I could understand Blizzard using that tagline for their new MMO or something, but it just shows a lack of ambition from Rift. Like all they want is disenfranchised WoW players.

Promoting yourself usually works better than slandering others tbh.
    You have no idea about how to market to the average joe. There are quite a few ways to do it, 2 common ones are Slandering another competitor (most companies like this one) or throwing a shit ton of cash at celebrities so they do commercials for them (WoW does this). I mean really, do you honestly think Blizzards practice is much better? They get random freaking celebrities who don't even play the game to advertise for them. As if to show off how much money they make off of the subscribers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bleakeh View Post
    You have no idea about how to market to the average joe. There are quite a few ways to do it, 2 common ones are Slandering another competitor (most companies like this one) or throwing a shit ton of cash at celebrities so they do commercials for them (WoW does this). I mean really, do you honestly think Blizzards practice is much better? They get random freaking celebrities who don't even play the game to advertise for them. As if to show off how much money they make off of the subscribers.
    Well I wanted to cancel my wow sub and play rift but then I saw Mr.T wow commercial and I changed my mind...ok, not really.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have no idea about how to market to the average joe. There are quite a few ways to do it, 2 common ones are Slandering another competitor (most companies like this one) or throw a shit ton of cash at celebrities so they do commercials for them (WoW does this). I mean really, do you honestly think Blizzard practice is much better? They get random freaking celebrities who don't even play the game to advertise for them. As if to show off how much money they make off of the subscribers.
    Firstly, no I do not think Blizzards practise is better. I'm commenting as a potential rift player, not a Blizzard fan. Please note that not everyone critical of this is so because they love Blizzard or WoW or whatever.

I am fed up of WoW. I am bored of it. I am a potential Rift player. I go to check out RIFT and I get "we're not in Azeroth anymore" and a bunch of screenshots that look pretty much identical to WoW and Azeroth.

So to me I think "meh, same old shit as WoW, no point changing".

Rather than tell me where we are not, if they had told me "we are in xxx now", well then you start piquing my interest. A trailer that showed a bunch of features, the class system, the name of the world, some of the lore, would have much more affect than "we're different than World of Warcraft". Even mentioning WoW shows an inferiority complex from the get go, as does the ardent defending from its fanboys. Be proud of the game you support, don't try to justify playing it.

So for me, advertising campaign hasn't worked. As I doubt it will to the millions of people who don't play WoW, don't know what Azeroth is but could be enticed into this game.

Honestly, why do people get so funny about this? If you criticise it you love WoW, if you love it you hate WoW. Like, no... I just think they could do a better job selling it to me. It looks like a clone and they haven't done anything to persuade me theres any reason it won't get real boring real fast, just like Cata has.

"We're not in Azeroth" can mean different things to someone..

It could insfer that Rift is more serious and not cartoony.

It could mean Rift is very similar with all new lore, zones and mobs...

It could mean that literally.. Azeroth isn't in the game of Rift.

To me it means.. "This ain't your kiddie's WoW"

At the VERY VERY WORST case... Rift is an exact replacement for WOW with all new content. That content will last 6 mos to a year.. considering Cataclysm offered me entertainment for about 4-6 weeks before going stale... I am HAPPY to buy Rift and play it fo rthat period of time...

What I finally realised was.. I want to be entertained.. and WoW used to do that for me.. but I guess I am tired of Azeroth... of the WoW lore. Of killing Naga at level 19 then again at 80+.. just tired of it.. like watching reruns over and over again til you can recite the dialog verbatim.

Rift gives me EVERYTHING I liked about WoW.. with a whole new content completely unrelated to WoW. And I find that interesting. Will it last only 6 mos to a year? Maybe.. but that certainly is worth the price of admission.

And maybe.. just maybe... they have more up their sleeve at Trion to offer me more interesting content and raiding... I kinda think they do.. and that's even better.

I certianly can understand that many peeps still find WoW enjoyable... or perhaps they are bored too but Rift just doesn;t seem to offer enough for them to change. It does me and many others... and that's fair enough for everyone right?

Deleted
    Firstly, no I do not think Blizzards practise is better. I'm commenting as a potential rift player, not a Blizzard fan. Please note that not everyone critical of this is so because they love Blizzard or WoW or whatever.

I am fed up of WoW. I am bored of it. I am a potential Rift player. I go to check out RIFT and I get "we're not in Azeroth anymore" and a bunch of screenshots that look pretty much identical to WoW and Azeroth.

Rather than tell me where we are not, if they had told me "we are in xxx now", well then you start piquing my interest. A trailer that showed a bunch of features, the class system, the name of the world, some of the lore, would have much more affect than "we're different than World of Warcraft". Even mentioning WoW shows an inferiority complex from the get go, as does the ardent defending from its fanboys. Be proud of the game you support, don't try to justify playing it.

So for me, advertising campaign hasn't worked. As I doubt it will to the millions of people who don't play WoW, don't know what Azeroth is but could be enticed into this game.

Honestly, why do people get so funny about this? If you criticise it you love WoW, if you love it you hate WoW. Like, no... I just think they could do a better job selling it to me. It looks like a clone and they haven't done anything to persuade me theres any reason it won't get real boring real fast, just like Cata has.
    And all fps games are just Wolfenstein clones. What's your point ?!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    And all fps games are just Wolfenstein clones. What's your point ?!?
    Not really. They evolved.

Rift also has evolved from WoW. It has the Rift feature. It also has from what I can tell a really in-depth class system with some great ideas. But I had to look to find out these features.

I shouldn't have to. Whoever is marketing this game should be screaming it out so I can hear. They should be telling me what they bring that WoW doesn't.

Instead they choose to say "play this instead of wow kplzthx". Which to me, is not good marketing.

It's a freaking advertisement done by the advertising team. They pick out whatever sounds cool and will attract new customers, and I'm sure for the most part it did pretty well. You have to keep in mind A SHIT TON of people tried the WoW trial and hated it. The numbers are so huge Blizzard revamped all the old world content. They are trying to advertise to those people that may have disliked WoW, and might be interested in what Trion put together.

A few years back WoW looked to EQ players like Rift does to WoW players today. It's the same shit. Anyone can look at something from afar and just deny it based on your first impression. Frankly I hated WoW when I first started it but grew to like it alot. The open beta is FREE right now, and you get get a headstart pass by going to gamestop for $5. Go try it out if you want, stop coming here and trying to turn this into a flame fest, because that's all you are doing.

My god the lack of sense of humour in this thread is... well it's HILARIOUS! HAHAHA!!

Quote Originally Posted by KrimzinTX View Post
    I found this rather humorous.
    If a new MMO released and it was completely off the wall.. with all new concepts and nothing used from other games.. it would get flamed because it wasnt what people are used to. People in general are creatures of habit. They tend to like things familiar to them.

Wall Street Journal published an article about how to become a millionaire..The fastest and easiest way to do so..

Take an existing Idea and Make it better.

Rift isnt gonna be for everyone, butjudging a Game when its in beta is idiotic.
    No one can say for certain what the end game content is going to be like. The rest of the content thats been available in Beta has been Solid.
    Ive been in 5 dungeons and I can honestly say they are great, and im looking forward to seeing what else Trion has in store at release.

With the CCO of Trion being the developer of the EQ1 AA system and understanding how important end game content is, I honestly believe Rift will meet or exceed all expectations for Raiders.
    I'm not, nor the community, claiming this game to be a next-gen MMO, the developers are, and with that I expect to see something actually next-gen in it while I have yet to see that. They may pull it off when people get to level cap, I'm simply saying so far this looks nothing like a next-gen MMO.

Yes, everything with the game is pretty solid and well done, however nothing in this game screams that it's a next-gen MMO with something revolutionary. The soul system is great, but it's not revolutionary, it could have been, but it's not. There's a lot of things like that in this game that could easily have made it a next-gen MMO but instead they decided to mostly clone another game instead of taking chances and actually try to be next-gen quality. I'm not saying it will never be next-gen, but nothing I've seen so far comes close to having this game be given the title 'next-gen'.

I'm also not sure why you think most MMO gamers would want something so similar when that's not the case at all. Sure WoW players want something similar, but anyone who's played multiple MMOs play them for their variety, not because they're so similar and familiar.

---------- Post added 2011-02-20 at 01:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon the Conqueror View Post
    The problem is, people that are saying Rift is copying WoW are basicly using the basic ingirdients of any MMO as example; Things being said so far: UI, quest setups, leveling, and similar stuff. Next gen MMO applis mostly to the graphics, a somewhat new feel to it (I will elaborate that later) and taht's exacly what makes it a next gen.

Now to elaborate the "new feel" effect.

The RPG in MMORPG stands for a Role playing game. Up untill now, people mostly felt secure in their zones, they were questing, PvPing, doing the stuff they want. To really "feel" the Rift, you have to put yourself in the skin of your characters (not by talking in a RP manner, but to try to embrace the unending threat and a feel of dark pressence). There's a dynamic world, PvP battles going on all the time, defiants battling against guardians in almost every zone. One faction griefing the other by destroying their footholds. While all these things are happening, a dark pressence lingers from beyoned. Nightmarish creatures are invading Telara using the rifts. If players don't close them, leveling zones get overwhelmed, quest givers die, the world is devastated, and it takes some time untill things go back to normal.

What I'm trying to say is, this game has a new feeling of constant threat. A warhorn announces the coming of the rifts, and I literaly get a bit paranoied becosue I know bad things are about to happen if we don't step up. Ofcourse it gets annoying for some people, but to me it's a fresh new feeling I have never felt before. Sort of like the first episode of BS:Galactica (after the movies) where cylons invade the ship every 33 minutes.
    While they do add all you said, their overall game is a near exact clone of WoW. The game play, the combat system, the similar classes and their abilities, hell even some talents are near clones. There's quite a bit original in this game yes, but there's also quite a bit copied. FYI, if next-gen were defined by graphics alone then Aion would have been a next-gen MMO.

---------- Post added 2011-02-20 at 01:42 PM ----------

It's a freaking advertisement done by the advertising team. They pick out whatever sounds cool and will attract new customers, and I'm sure for the most part it did pretty well. You have to keep in mind A SHIT TON of people tried the WoW trial and hated it. The numbers are so huge Blizzard revamped all the old world content. They are trying to advertise to those people that may have disliked WoW, and might be interested in what Trion put together.

A few years back WoW looked to EQ players like Rift does to WoW players today. It's the same shit. Anyone can look at something from afar and just deny it based on your first impression. Frankly I hated WoW when I first started it but grew to like it alot. The open beta is FREE right now, and you get get a headstart pass by going to gamestop for $5. Go try it out if you want, stop coming here and trying to turn this into a flame fest, because that's all you are doing.
    And that's exactly where they went wrong I think. They're trying too hard to appease the people upset with WoW that only want slight changes in it rather than make their own unique gaming experience that could have been superior to WoW in every way.
    Last edited by sicness; 2011-02-20 at 06:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    I'm not, nor the community, claiming this game to be a next-gen MMO, the developers are, and with that I expect to see something actually next-gen in it while I have yet to see that. They may pull it off when people get to level cap, I'm simply saying so far this looks nothing like a next-gen MMO.

Yes, everything with the game is pretty solid and well done, however nothing in this game screams that it's a next-gen MMO with something revolutionary. The soul system is great, but it's not revolutionary, it could have been, but it's not. There's a lot of things like that in this game that could easily have made it a next-gen MMO but instead they decided to mostly clone another game instead of taking chances and actually try to be next-gen quality. I'm not saying it will never be next-gen, but nothing I've seen so far comes close to having this game be given the title 'next-gen'.

---------- Post added 2011-02-20 at 01:39 PM ----------

While they do add all you said, their overall game is a near exact clone of WoW. The game play, the combat system, the similar classes and their abilities, hell even some talents are near clones. There's quite a bit original in this game yes, but there's also quite a bit copied.

---------- Post added 2011-02-20 at 01:42 PM ----------

And that's exactly where they went wrong I think. They're trying too hard to appease the people upset with WoW that only want slight changes in it rather than make their own unique gaming experience that could have been superior to WoW in every way.
    well, WoW has the best gameplay in any mmo to date, it has that free flowing feeling to it. no one wants to have a game that is like turn based combat like for example. you hit someone, now its his turn to hit you before you can hit him back. that would be stupid and boring.

i think thats why WoW has been successful, is that the gameplay just feels more open/free. So why try and change that when that way is probably the best it can get.